• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R80 Mono rear spline lube

Kehas123

Does the mono require a spline lube like the K75? I recall reading it's in an oil bath so it's not needed but not sure if that applies to the drive shaft. Thanks for advice/comments.
George

I don't know the K75 so can't answer that part. But when you say spline lube, exactly which part are you talking about? Are you talking about the driveshaft or are you talking about the splines where the rear wheel attaches to the final drive. The driveshaft does run in an oil bath. But I believe the rear wheel bolts directly to the final drive, so there are no splines there to lubricate. A few pictures of these specific areas of your bike would help.

If it’s like my mono R80, the rear splines run in an oil bath. As I recall, there was a bolt cap on the shaft housing to remove and one “checked the oil level” with a wire to verify. I don’t remember the depth, but it didn’t need much.

Transmission input splines are another matter. The trans needs to a least be loosened to allow access to those splines, of which lubrication is critical. Other posts detail this procedure.

my bad gents...it's the final drive splines connected to the drive shaft. There is a bolt/cap on the final drive that would be a place to fill.

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_031332054.jpg
    PXL_20230904_031332054.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the help gents. All fluids checked and in good shape. Getting ready to head to BMW-RA in a couple weeks.

Back