• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Driveshaft spline lube...

bobs_one

I just did the 40,000Km (25,000 Mile) service on my 2017 GSA.

Having read all the stuff about the splines rusting, I had lubed the rear splines at the 20K service, so this was the second time I've done them. I'm pleased to say that everythig looked good - no rust on the splines.

But, I have two questions:

Was I supposed to do the front splines as well?

And, with respect to the front splines, I am assuming it is correct that the shaft slides back and forth on those front splines - to some extent? The shaft would not (easily) pull off those splines, but seemed to move freely about an inch or so back and forth on the splines. Is this correct?

Finally, I know there is now a "recall" on the swing arm/drive shaft where BMW drills a drain hole in the swing arm to try to prevent the rusting of the splines. Sounds like a pretty Mickey Mouse solution to me. Is it worth getting it done if I'm diligent with lubing the spline(s)? What are people's thoughts?

I just did the 40,000Km (25,000 Mile) service on my 2017 GSA.

Having read all the stuff about the splines rusting, I had lubed the rear splines at the 20K service, so this was the second time I've done them. I'm pleased to say that everythig looked good - no rust on the splines.

But, I have two questions:

Was I supposed to do the front splines as well?

And, with respect to the front splines, I am assuming it is correct that the shaft slides back and forth on those front splines - to some extent? The shaft would not (easily) pull off those splines, but seemed to move freely about an inch or so back and forth on the splines. Is this correct?

Finally, I know there is now a "recall" on the swing arm/drive shaft where BMW drills a drain hole in the swing arm to try to prevent the rusting of the splines. Sounds like a pretty Mickey Mouse solution to me. Is it worth getting it done if I'm diligent with lubing the spline(s)? What are people's thoughts?

Until recently BMW did not prescribe an interval for lubing front or rear splines, but doing both is a good idea. as is checking the u-joints. I do the rear as part of every 12,000 mile service; I do the front annually during winter maintenance. The front splines are connected to the output shaft by a spring metal clip in the output shaft that mates with a groove in the splines of the driveshaft. The front splines are not intended to move back and forth on each other during normal operation. The two can be pried apart easily and then rejoined easily as well to facilitate lubing the splines and checking the u-joint. The rear splines do move back and forth as the suspension functions. Jim Bade (JVBProductions.com) has an excellent video on servicing a driveshaft.

My opinion is that it will be smart to have the valve installed. It is not a recall and will only be done if and when you present the bike for a service of some kind, and the dealership has the valve. They also inspect the driveshaft and under certain circumstances will replace it. If you do not have the valve installed you may not get a driveshaft replaced under warranty or as a part of the current program in the future.

The front splines are not intended to move back and forth on each other during normal operation.

So, if mine drive shaft moves along the front splines when I have the back splines off, something isn't right? I tried pulling the drive shaft off the forward splines with moderate force, but couldn't do it. So, I thought the clip was properly engaged. Are you saying there shouldn't be any movement of them at all?

When properly installed, the clip on the transmission side will prevent most movement front to back. Some minor movement may be possible however. When you tap the shaft back in place once the splines are engaged, you'll hear a faint click when the clip engages. It did in both bikes I work on.

I pulled the drive shafts completely out of my brother's bike, and mine, in order to lube the front and rear splines and the shafts as well.
Yes I greased them too... Get your minds out of the gutter...:laugh

Both drive shafts were/are rust free which was a blessing. The front splines were dry, but fortunately fairly easily removed. Now that this service campaign is going on, my dealer called me to say I qualify for a new driveshaft because of the miles I have (50K) ...
I am rethinking that option since nothing is amiss for the moment....

When properly installed, the clip on the transmission side will prevent most movement front to back. Some minor movement may be possible however. When you tap the shaft back in place once the splines are engaged, you'll hear a faint click when the clip engages. It did in both bikes I work on.

I pulled the drive shafts completely out of my brother's bike, and mine, in order to lube the front and rear splines and the shafts as well.
Yes I greased them too... Get your minds out of the gutter...:laugh

Both drive shafts were/are rust free which was a blessing. The front splines were dry, but fortunately fairly easily removed. Now that this service campaign is going on, my dealer called me to say I qualify for a new driveshaft because of the miles I have (50K) ...
I am rethinking that option since nothing is amiss for the moment....

Driveshaft failure on the GS/GSA models is not uncommon and is normally unrelated to corrosion. The u-joints are forced to operate at fairly extreme angles which puts undue stress on them and early failure. I’d take that new driveshaft if I were eligible, regardless of the perceived health of the current driveshaft.

So, if mine drive shaft moves along the front splines when I have the back splines off, something isn't right? I tried pulling the drive shaft off the forward splines with moderate force, but couldn't do it. So, I thought the clip was properly engaged. Are you saying there shouldn't be any movement of them at all?

In my experience there is very little movement when the clip is properly engaged.

Driveshaft failure on the GS/GSA models is not uncommon and is normally unrelated to corrosion. The u-joints are forced to operate at fairly extreme angles which puts undue stress on them and early failure. I’d take that new driveshaft if I were eligible, regardless of the perceived health of the current driveshaft.

Yes, I will have the dealer install a new one, specially after I priced one out....:doh

Still Confused

So, my drive shaft slides (maybe 1/2 inch) on the front splines but does not come off them (at least, not with the limited amount of force I've applied so far).

Is this normal, or is the shaft not properly on the retaining clip?

Do I need to worry about this?

Back