• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To The Moderators: Formal Photography Forum area proposal

R

rocketman

As you have probably seen I started a post recently to see if there would be any interest in a dedicated Photography area on the MOA board. After letting it run for a week to see what kind of responses I got and if there might be an interest I have decided to place that proposal here. some of the below text is taken from that other thread to summerize my ideas. since I don't know what the proceedure is I'm putting it here in the Online Central area as a formal proposal. If there is more I need to do, let me know. Otherwise here is what I have and would appreciate any input or a simple yeh or nay. Thanks

Jeff

I would like to present a proposal for a new forum area for photography. I have been thinking along these lines since I began participating in the photo assignment threads that Tom has been bringing us of late and after receiving some positive input from both Tom and Kbasa I thought I would submit this idea for discussion by those who participate on the forum. While I don’t know what the procedure is for such I figured that perhaps the best place to start would be to ask for some feedback from the forum membership on this.

As the photo assignments threads grow, both in number and volume of submissions having an area devoted to photography, motorcycle related or otherwise, it would make it much easier to find them and to review old threads as each new assignment comes along. I noted that on the bmwlt board such a forum area has now been put into place and since putting up an “impressions” area on my local club’s board they both seem to have been generating some interest.

And lastly, I have noticed that for many riders, photography and riding seem to go hand in hand. This would not be a replacement for the Ride Reports that often include some wonderful photography, but rather a separate area devoted to the discussion of photography, a place to put the photo assignments, for sharing photographs of a more general nature that perhaps don’t fit into the “ride reports” area and for trading tips the various aspects and challenges faced with carrying cameras while traveling by motorcycle. I'm sure many of us have taken a photograph worth sharing that didn't really fit anywhere on the other forum areas and it might also inspire others who have been hesitant to post a photo or two but were unsure of where it should go.

I would propose breaking it down into three main areas as outlined below:

1. Photo assignments
2. Impressions (where folks could share photos they have taken other than ride reports, and perhaps ask for feedback, if they so desired, but I don't think that should a criteria)
3. Tricks and Tips, for sharing ideas, things you have learned about photography, cameras, esp as it relates to riding, etc.

While I know there are plenty of other forums for photography and such, it still seems that having one here, esp. of an informal nature, might be appropriate and would perhaps attract some new faces etc.
Please feel free to make suggestions and post your thoughts in general on such an area and then we can see if this would be amenable to those that are responsible for making such changes.

my idea is make this as open as possible to all with an interest in learning and becoming involved in photography, it can be a very rewarding experience.

More thoughts on this area and some basic concepts.

1. This is intended as an area for learning so think of it as a tech area rather than a "playground"
2. We should keep the sub-topic areas to a minimum, the three outlined by myself and commented on by Dave I think work very nicely
3. The guidelines would be as specific as possible, see the photo assignments thread starter post for an example
4 There should be no expectations of "expert" advice, this would be like any tech area, take it for what its worth and don't be upset if it doesn't work for you the way it worked for one giving the advice. This would be especially true considering the diversity of equipment and expertise of the membership here in.
5. There would be no tolerance for suggestions on activities that could endanger any member of the forums, i.e. don't ask about how to take a picture while riding and hold ing a camera, yes I know people do it, I've done it myself and having do know it just safe and have no plans to again and neither would I never advise anyone else to.
6. this area would be as generic as possible, no Nikon or Sony or PS specific topic areas. This doesn't mean you can't mentions brands but again it should more about techniques available to the largest spectrum of members.

RM

this is a fantastic idea. i personally have been following your thread but wanted to let everyone else do the talking.

we're gonna need a few more mods for this...... any volunteers?

ian

forum liaison

:stick
this is a fantastic idea. i personally have been following your thread but wanted to let everyone else do the talking.

we're gonna need a few more mods for this...... any volunteers?

ian

forum liaison
I spos I could give it shot, not that I know anything about the subject or do anything in moderation :laugh

(well, that used to be true, way back in the dim dark past, in another life, when love was free and all that rubish :bolt )

Hey Tom wanna have some fun and join me in entering the mad house?:stick
RM

What you propose is a significant increase in the cost of the forum to the club.

It's a board--not moderator--decision.

Lots of storage required, of course.

What you propose is a significant increase in the cost of the forum to the club.

Is this true? My observation is that most photos are linked. Not to argue, more of a devil's advocate sort of thing.

I think of greater concern would be keeping any new forum motorcycle-related, no matter how tenuous. I think we could accomplish that, as we have seen a number of other similar groups do it.

I'm all in favor of it.

Is this true? My observation is that most photos are linked. Not to argue, more of a devil's advocate sort of thing.

I think of greater concern would be keeping any new forum motorcycle-related, no matter how tenuous. I think we could accomplish that, as we have seen a number of other similar groups do it.

I'm all in favor of it.
Storage costs aren't terribly significant on hosted sites Terrabytes are cheap (just bought one for $225..) Data transmission costs and backup are.

With free services such as Photobucket - that link seamlessly to forum posts - a quick lesson on how to use it - and how to setup the free account would seem to make photo display costs a non-issue.

As far as keeping it moto-related - a simple requirement that it BE motorcycle related in some way (bike in the photo, rider in the photo, place a motorcyclist visited, motorcycle events) should work for a start.

Great idea - might make an excellent source for some wonderful Owners News covers.

The BMWLT forun has one running now for a few months. I highly recommend we start one here too.:clap

Their fourm includes post notjust of photos of bikes but also how to questions with the use of photo editing software. Just be prepared for a which camera is better debate or two like we have with tires, oil, seats, etc.:banghead

This is a great discussion and lots of good ideas.

To be clear: While I think our forum needs to be bike related, it should not have to be exclusively bike related. After all, our campfire forum--the one that need not be bike-related--is far and away our busiest.

A photography forum on this site would naturally gravitate towards all-things-motorcycle, but could also include tech threads (cameras, photoshop), travelogues (bike and non-bike), shopping tips, what camera is best, etc.

I agree that it would be fertile soil to grow ON photographers/photography. Might also encourage new and different advertisers in ON as well.

As originally stated I put this forth here because I could not find any guidelines as to how one goes about making such a request (adding areas to the forum) and noticed that in fact an additional area had recently been added (the DGT area) thru a simple discussion within the board, since this would only effect the boards themselves. If there is another, more proper way, such as a written proposal that needs to be submitted to the BOA for their consideration then I would welcome such information so that it can be acted upon during the upcoming BOA meeting.

Also as SNC pointed out, almost all photos are linked rather than sent as attachments so storage should not be so much of an issue.

If there are BOA members who have been reading this thread and wish to avail me of another venue to put forth this proposal please do so.

Thanks for all the input and views.

Lets keep this moving forward as I truly feel it would be of great benefit to the community here and since photography and motorcycling seem to me to go hand in hand in many aspects. What better way to share our experiences in such a wide spread and diverse group? With guidance and sharing of the combined knowledge found here, it could only enhance that shared experience.

RocketMan

Only if people start attaching, rather than hotlinking photos.

External links via SmugMug, Flickr and the like cost us nothing.

I don't know that this needs to be voted on by the board.

this is a great idea and the moderatoin team supports it. i'll be setting up the forum in the next week or so and then getting rocketman and snc1923 set up as moderators.

sorry for the delay - i'm up in whistler skiing and the internet connection is spotty.

this is a great idea and the moderatoin team supports it. i'll be setting up the forum in the next week or so and then getting rocketman and snc1923 set up as moderators.

sorry for the delay - i'm up in whistler skiing and the internet connection is spotty.

Well, its about time!:stick
Whatta you mods think, that you can be allowed a life outside the forum or something.......:type

no wait that would mean I wouldn't be allowed to either soon... :bolt

never mind! as you were.....no rush! .....:laugh

RM

Well, its about time!:stick
Whatta you mods think, that you can be allowed a life outside the forum or something.......:type

no wait that would mean I wouldn't be allowed to either soon... :bolt

never mind! as you were.....no rush! .....:laugh

RM

make sure they give you the key to the executive washroom in the mod lounge.

How did I miss this? Awesome! (sorry, Lamble).

I'm looking very forward to this and hope very much that it adds to what we already have, a great set of forums dedicated to BMW motorcycles and their riders.

Very happy to be working with Rocket Man as well.

:eat

Back