• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires for F650GS Twin

40K on the twin now and need new tires. I would like to put dual sports on again. I have not tried the Metzler Tourance. Anyone have an opinion?

I have not tried the Metzler Tourance.

Pretty much the gold standard in a road oriented DP tire. Excellent life, great pavement and light gravel performance, but (like all similar tires) poor in loose or muddy conditions. Price is usually premium, but justified IMO.

Ensure you don't wind up with the Tourance EXPs instead.

JP

Why not they dont look bad? are they stiffer?

Not sure if they're any stiffer but they have less tread, more of a street oriented tire like the Continental Trail Attack. Of the people I know who were using Tourances, then switched to EXP's, they all got less mileage with the EXP. The ones that got typically 7.5-8K on Tourance, lucky to reach 6,500 on the EXP's.
Have you considered Michelin Anakee II's?

Why not they dont look bad? are they stiffer?

Basically, I meant my comments to apply to the standard Tourances, not the EXPs. As has already been posted, the EXPs have significantly poorer life, and are more road oriented.

IMO, the increased road orientation of the EXPs is not required, as the standard Tourances already "hang on like an ugly sister at the beach". :thumb

JP

40K on the twin now and need new tires. I would like to put dual sports on again. I have not tried the Metzler Tourance. Anyone have an opinion?

I ;am using a set of Contenatal Trail attack, and they are working very well. I have 8000 on the rear and it looks good for another 3 or 4 thousand. They stick very well and handle very well. OK in rocks and hard pack dirt.

I am now pased the 10,000 mile mark and still good to go at least one or two more thousand miles.

Last edited:
Regarding tires for F650 Twin

I had Metzler Tourances on my 2003 F650 and really liked them. Rode them for 16,000miles before replacing. The rear tire tread was getting thin, but the front still looked good. They were primarily ridden on twisty, rough-paved N. Georgia mountain roads and seldom off-road. I found the Tourance tires to be very stable, good gripping, smooth, comfortable riding. In my opinion, -an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Heidenau tires

Well, 51K on the twin now and need tires again soon.

Recommendation from Riverside, CA, BMW is Heidenau. Anyone have experience with these for a dual sport tire? I have Michelin Anakee 2's now. They're good and have lasted 10K so far, but would like to switch to something dual sport with more grip on the dirt.

Well, 51K on the twin now and need tires again soon.

Recommendation from Riverside, CA, BMW is Heidenau. Anyone have experience with these for a dual sport tire? I have Michelin Anakee 2's now. They're good and have lasted 10K so far, but would like to switch to something dual sport with more grip on the dirt.

Heidenau's will have more grip in the dirt, but less on the pavement.

Back