• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100 RS tire question

ksdcr

I have a 2000 R1100 RS, which has the factory rear tire size, of 160/60-18. As owners of this era BMW know, it is getting difficult to find this size, in a street/ touring radial. I found that Metzler makes a Torrance rear tire, in a 170/50- 18 size.

So, does anyone know if this 170/50-18, would equate to a 160/60-18 size?

From what I can read, the 170/50 tire is going to nominally be wider (170mm vs 160mm) but the profile height is going to be less. The "50" means 50% of the width. So will a wider tire fit your rear frame? And with the lower profile, what does that do to use of the center stand and side stand? Will the handling be affected?

The 170/50 is a wider profile tire. I have never run one. It might be difficult to get the tire past the swing arm, or it might rub once installed. There are still several 160/60-18 tires available. I see that the Michelin PR3 is available again in the USA. It had been NLA for quite a few years. I recently installed an Avon Spirit ST 160/60 on my 1100RT. Even though it's marked as as 160/60 it "looked" wider than the Angel GT it was replacing, and I had a very tough time getting it to squeeze passed the swing arm. Installed, it has been a very nice tire, but I won't get another.

Yes, I forgot how tight the fit is, when trying to get it past the rear drive.
Good to hear that the Michelin PR3 is available again. I gave up looking a few years ago.

In my opinion the best approach to this issue is to get a 17 inch rear wheel from a K1200LT or RS which fits fine with new bolts 5mm different in length.

The last time I searched out replacement tires for my ‘00 R1100RS. I always keep a set on hand and order a new set as I put the last ones on. I couldn’t find anything in the states but found a set in Italy. I ordered them, expecting them to arrive in weeks or months. They were on my doorstep the following Monday! Couldn’t believe how quick they arrived. The 17” wheel thing may be a good choice.

Back