• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The value of proper brake maintenance

F

FatChance

During my winter of major bike maintenance on my 50k miles '00 1150GS forced by stripped clutch splines, I decided to also refresh as much of the rest of the bike as I could in preparation for a lot of happy and carefree riding miles this summer. So, after putting in a new transmission input shaft and seals, a whole new clutch assembly and new clutch slave cylinder, I also rebuilt the final drive (the big seal was weeping and the pinion seal was leaking), did a major service including air, oil, and fuel filters, plugs, fuel injector O rings, alternator belt, refreshed the starter, and installed the upgraded cam chain tensioner. I am also going through the brake system by cleaning up the calipers, new pads and new braided brake lines.

While following the good report in the ADVRider Hall of Wisdom about the rear caliper, I had some trouble pulling the floating caliper off the mounting base. The sliding pins weren't sliding. Once I realized the problem, I got a little medieval and got it apart. Here is what one of the sliding pins looked like:

i-Kjf8FTG-L.jpg

:cry

The pin was badly corroded and stuck in the bushing. It is supposed to be shiny brass plated. I don't rely too much on my rear brake, but this would explain why it didn't work all that well. :deal

There was a little hole in the rubber gaiter, so that could have let in contaminants. The mile long road from Wildcat Canyon to our house used to be unpaved and was sprayed with mag chloride before it was paved. Otherwise, the shop that installed the last rear pad set about 6 years ago may not have taken apart the caliper and properly greased the sliding pins. :dunno

At any rate, I put a want ad in the ADVRider flea market last night and have already bought a good used caliper replacement from an inmate. Brand new rear calipers go for $425!

So, just a reminder of the importance of proper brake maintenance. :thumb

I know. A few years ago I was about to take my F800ST on a ride thru' Yosemite & Sequoia and related points.
AlanRider7 of SportBike Dynamics in Petaluma mentioned 'check your brakes'.
I did and the rear were paper thin. And thin paper, at that. Not what would be good for a ride thru' the mountains.
It saved me a rotor, and maybe a brake failure.
dc

I check and lube mine every tire or brake pad change. That is one of the small items that seems to get overlooked quite often.

I check and lube mine every tire or brake pad change. That is one of the small items that seems to get overlooked quite often.

What do you guys use to lube those pins?
I'd worry that any grease there could melt with heat form the brakes and get onto the pads.

It don't get that hot. Unless you ride the brakes. Rather than just use them.
Don't use way too much grease. Just enough to moisten the pin.
dc

I have used both white lithium grease and good old Never Seize. Both work well and a LITTLE dab will do ya. Lots of hills and twisties in my part of the world and I have had my brakes plenty hot. Never been an issue.

And as way of follow-on, I almost hate to share this but the sooner I acknowledge being the idiot, the less effort I need to expend in protecting a false image.

Understandably you don't get into those rear calipers too often. But there's not excuse for how bad I let my front rotors get. I mean all you have to do is bend over to check.

I kept checking how loose the left side was getting in the carrier with wearing buttons. But I never even looked at the right side. Holy crap! Nine of the twelve buttons were cracked on the inside and one had worn the carrier so much that you could almost drive a truck through the visible space between the button and carrier.

Maybe there exists one other person who hasn't checked there front rotors carefully and if it saves them from an accident...

s185.photobucket.com/albums/x294/psikora/?action=view&current=Picture016.jpg

psikora

As usual, I can't quite seem to get a pic to upload but I put it on photobucket with the url above.

from photobucket, find the pic you want to upload. clik on it. select "share", then "get link code". next is "IMG for bulletin boards & forums". i have "full size" selected. i then do a copy of that link (ctrl c), and finally paste (ctrl v) into this box.
workx like a charm. talkes longer to explain it than to do it.

my grandpa did not worry much about brake maintenance of hydraulic lines & such.
grampajoeonH-D.jpg

Next step would be to re-size it for forums, or 15" monitors or such before uploading it! Once you get Photobucket to work, you will be golden...

Back