• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The proverbial wall

yelostn78

Have GS will Travel
I probably spelled proverbial wrong, but here goes.

I have been riding about 12 years now.
the first 1.5 years and 24k miles on a 1999 R1100R, probably the finest motorcycle ever produced in my opinion.
The rest of the years and 63k miles on a 2000 R1150GS, also one of the best.
Besides those two bikes I have accumulated probably another 10k miles on loaner bikes when the R and GS went through the scratched shaft recall that cause a seal leak, or whatever the story was back in 99-00.

I have a great long resume of places I have been, they can't hold a candle in the wind to some of the folks around here. Nor does my mileage resume above.

Last year in Late may I hit a wall, proverbially. I was tired of Motorcycling. The Mrs(she rides her own 06 F650GS) and I were on the return portion of a two week trip to Death Valley and arches and all those great southwestern places.

momentary flashback-
I learned to ride in the Carolinas, around Charlotte, and the smokies and twisty roads. I am from Kansas originally. Well the Mrs and I moved back to kansas in 2005. Not as many curvy roads here. I like to go fast in the corners. The Mrs. Learned to ride in 2005 and we picked up her first bike here in KS in 2006. She is not used to curvy roads, and likes to ride the straight scenic roads.

ok back to the story.

We were cruising around Lake Tahoe. I was burning up the corners, and the Mrs. was hanging back. I was tired and this was really getting on my nerves. I was tired of having to slow down all the time for her to catch up.
It was not fun because it made me a jerk and put a damper on those moments for the both of us.

I would get over quickly and we would be back to good old fun. But it kept building.

Every time we would get into some nice curvy roads I would hit the "Wall"
It was causing me to not like motorcycling. We talked about it somewhat. I did not want to push her outside of her comfort done on the bike, but I was trying to convince her that she could corner better an so on, Even gave her a copy of the twist of the wrist or whatever it is called booklet. Nothing seemed to take hold.

So we made it home to Kansas. at the end of may. I put some stabil in the fuel tanks, and I have not ridden until today. I had not even unpacked my converse all star walking shoes that are my trip shoes. I had not even put on the 2010 registration sticker. My MOA membership was due to expire. I have not even looked at an ON since may or june of last year.

I was burnt out. The wall had beat me.

until today.

Weather is starting to get nice here again. Today was in the mid 70's.
I topped off the air in the tires, and topped of with a fresh tank of 91 octane shell gas.
I then realized I forgot the 2010 license plate sticker, so road back to the house and put that on. Then I put 60 miles on the bike.

I always take it easy after a long hiatus from riding, so I kept the curves simple today.
Plus the tires have been sitting for awhile. But I did have a grin on my face for at least 70% of the ride.

The Mrs. did not ride with me. If she does that is fine. I just am to the point where I will make time for my curvy road addiction, and when she rides with me we will take it easy.

Well that was my struggle with the wall. I also renewed for 3 more years.
Just thought I would clear the air. Happy Motoring.

We need to continually remind ourselves to let our partners find their own comfort zones.

Good post.

Last edited:
Don't worry about riding together. Worry about getting places together. After Tina had been riding a while and had some experience, I'd go play on the twisties and wait for her if I hadn't seen her in a while.

When I started riding, I was concerned about holding my hubby back. I'd constantly tell him to go ahead, I'd catch up. I would find him waiting for me at stop signs a few miles down the road. On particularly great roads, I'd offer to pull over for a while to let him play. A few years later, my skills are much better and I'm right in the sight of his rear view mirror when I'm not leading.

Give her time and you may find this to be the case. If not, make time to do your own thing and enjoy your time together.

someone once said it....

motorcycling is something we do alone, together

ride your ride, let her ride hers

You've got three good things going for you:

1) Rare insight into your feelings, and ability to express them. Kudos.

2) An SO who prefers to ride her own bike - you have any idea how special and uncommon that is?!

3) Having returned to Kansas. Nothing like a long winter's hibernation of bike and soul to remind you how much you miss throwing a leg over two wheels, and the freedom of the open road.

Welcome Back. :dance What Wall?

Almost anything can get old if you do it enough. I actually got tired of golf for a while!!!!:scratch My SO does not ride her own. I love two up riding, especially with an intercom. The closeness is intimate, the conversations revealing. A wall alternative, perhaps? Glad you got past it.:thumb

Don't worry about riding together. Worry about getting places together. After Tina had been riding a while and had some experience, I'd go play on the twisties and wait for her if I hadn't seen her in a while.
My wife doesn't ride, but this is how we ski. I go nuts skiing with my wife because she skis very deliberately and only on the easier green slopes. I find myself stopping every minute or so where I look up the mountain while she catches up. She also doesn't like making me wait. So, we've found that its a lot more fun for both of us to take the lift together, then she'll go to her green slope, I'll hit a blue, and I'll wait at predetermined place to meet her and get on the lift again. We ski at our own pace (ie., ride our own ride), and still spend a lot of time with one another.

Almost anything can get old if you do it enough. I actually got tired of golf for a while!!!!:scratch
Interesting that you should say that. I've played a lot of golf for almost my entire life. I've played all over the world and in all conditions including driving rain, snow storms, and on a Kenyan course where local rules covered how to pick up and drop from elephant dung. Then, about five years ago I hit a golf wall, and I haven't touched the clubs since. I'm still a big fan, but the time demands are no longer worth it. One day I'll probably get back into it.

Interesting that you should say that. I've played a lot of golf for almost my entire life. I've played all over the world and in all conditions including driving rain, snow storms, and on a Kenyan course where local rules covered how to pick up and drop from elephant dung. Then, about five years ago I hit a golf wall, and I haven't touched the clubs since. I'm still a big fan, but the time demands are no longer worth it. One day I'll probably get back into it.

I hit a golf wall every Winter, when I get really tired of cold, wind, runny noses and watery eyes. It usually resolves about the time the Bluebonnets start to come out. :laugh

The Mrs. did not ride with me. If she does that is fine. I just am to the point where I will make time for my curvy road addiction, and when she rides with me we will take it easy.

this is why my wife doesn't ride her own motorcycle. i simply could not stand the stress. :ha

ian

my wife only rode with me when I had the crotch rocket in college, bought the LT and then she decided she didn't like it
:scratch

All things must pass. Luckily it was the wall. I am ready for a trip, either by myself or with one of my sons or a friend. It has been a long winter.

this is why my wife doesn't ride her own motorcycle. i simply could not stand the stress. :ha

ian

first off yelostn78...glad you are back out and the winter blues are fading for a lot of folks. Knock the wall over and breathe in some Spring air.
I have gone thru stages of "full out non -stop" to "don't care about it a bit" on a lot of activities...bicycling,fishing,motorcycles and so on...it's not a big thing...do what makes YOU feel right at thr right time.

What's cool about me and my better half riding together on our own bikes is actually less stressful...she doesn't kidney punch me for doing testosterone laden maneuvers and I try to keep up with her in the twisties. We always end up at the finish smiling at one another...usually:whistle
If I am leading or she is...we try to keep each other in the mirror most of the time...or we wave off and catch up down the road...when I am on the GS and she on the K12...I am lagging by a bit:laugh it happens a lot lately...which comes back to the cool part. ;)

The Ride your own Ride mantra comes into play every ride as we both are equals out there. we are partners...but don't need to be in site of each other to know the other is fine.

All things must pass. Luckily it was the wall. I am ready for a trip, either by myself or with one of my sons or a friend. It has been a long winter.

I think we should get a four or five day colorado trip in- maybe around the gas compressor show, what do you think shoeman?

I hit a golf wall every Winter, when I get really tired of cold, wind, runny noses and watery eyes. It usually resolves about the time the Bluebonnets start to come out. :laugh
Winter was my favorite time of the year for golf. In north Texas we get a lot of dry days in the 40s and, for me anyway, that's perfect golf weather. My annual leave from golf was in August when walking a course was a chore more than it was fun. BTW, I see you're in San Antonio where it'd be even warmer during the winter!

Winter was my favorite time of the year for golf. In north Texas we get a lot of dry days in the 40s and, for me anyway, that's perfect golf weather. My annual leave from golf was in August when walking a course was a chore more than it was fun. BTW, I see you're in San Antonio where it'd be even warmer during the winter!

I love walking 18 holes in late August, early September, usually in the afternoon. Give me 104 degrees and I'm happy. Just hydrate and all is well. It's like playing golf in a hot tub......no joint or muscle pain, just relaxation. I hate cold!

I know...........I know. (I'm crazy) Everybody says so. :laugh

Back