• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The dreaded "what battery would be best" question.

My original BMW AGM lasted 6 years but started to get a bit weak - so I tried a Shorai, didn't work at all on my GSA. Now I run a PC680 and have had no issues over 3 years.

I have a Noco 4 bank trickle charger that is set to AGM for the PC680 and seems to work well.

I have been watching the posts on the VR mod for a while. Does anyone know if BMW raised the voltage when they went to a factory AGM or is the mod still recommended?

I looked for it once and found that some of the R1200 bikes (maybe the GSA) used AGM and when they did used a higher-voltage regulator. I can't remember if the R1150GSA did. But yes, BMW tailored the VR voltage to the battery.

My original BMW AGM lasted 6 years but started to get a bit weak - so I tried a Shorai, didn't work at all on my GSA. Now I run a PC680 and have had no issues over 3 years.

I have a Noco 4 bank trickle charger that is set to AGM for the PC680 and seems to work well.

I have been watching the posts on the VR mod for a while. Does anyone know if BMW raised the voltage when they went to a factory AGM or is the mod still recommended?

The oilhead regulators were never changed to a higher voltage.

A very good mod to do, although tedious if the bike has ABS.

I have been reading up on this. Lots of confusion as to whether the BMW OEM is Gel or AGM. I still have the original in my garage, so I went out to take a look and it is an Exide Gel battery, not AGM.

But are users getting 10 serviceable years out of them [AGM batteries]?

Yes, one of my AGM batteries (manufactured by EnerSys, parent of Odyssey) is nearly 16 years old, is maintained at full charge and is still in service. As you know, the key to longevity is maintaining a battery at 100% SOC (state of charge).

Although most Oilhead owners seem very satisfied with the PC680, they would get even longer service and faster starting if the battery was maintained at 100% SOC with the right VR and/or maintenance charger.

My PC680 was mistreated by me for its first year but now, approaching 4 years, it has full aH capacity and is performing like new.

I have been reading up on this. Lots of confusion as to whether the BMW OEM is Gel or AGM. I still have the original in my garage, so I went out to take a look and it is an Exide Gel battery, not AGM.

The Oilhead OEM battery is not AGM. I have gone through the parts lists exhaustively but some models of R1200 are AGM. The key is to look at the charging voltage of the alternator, from that you can infer battery type.

Yes, one of my AGM batteries (manufactured by EnerSys, parent of Odyssey) is nearly 16 years old, is maintained at full charge and is still in service. As you know, the key to longevity is maintaining a battery at 100% SOC (state of charge).

Its why my flooded lead acid batteries lasted that long or longer as well. The charging system in the car was spot on and I was able to "maintain" my FLA batteries periodically. And neither of them needed a battery maintainer since they were daily drivers (well mom's wasn't).

By the way, if a VRLA battery gases, how do you replenish them?

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOSCH-Voltage-Regulator-BMW-R-K-12-31-1-739-365-p/boalt-reg365.htm

Looks to be a quick solution -- 14.5V output and drop-in replacement. Not too pricey, either.

I came across it when I Googled the BMW part number.

I was hoping to get the part number and specs on the BMW part. All I got was a slip ring diameter of 14 mm which is small compared to all those on my VR list (usually between 28 and 32 mm on car alternators). I was looking for a VR with a different V-set.

By the way, is it a Bosch or Valeo alternator? BMW has switched to the latter years ago in their cars.

Back