• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The BMW R1200RTW is just a wonderful motorcycle!

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
Some owners of the R1200RTW are having a little trouble sorting things out. Finding aftermarket accessories can be troublesome with some owner preferring one brand and others another. We all have different experiences with our R1200RTW's -- some fantastic some troubling.

I hope we remember through all our experiences that the R1200RTW is just a wonderful motorcycle. I have been riding BMW motorcycles since 1967 without a hiatus. Without a doubt, it is the finest BMW I have ever owned. It is a sheer joy to ride, to care for, and even just to look at. IMHO it is the finest road motorcycle made today.

Here are comments from various motor journalists on the R1200RTW:

0n an over-10,300 mile long-term wrap-up article on the 2014 R1200RT in the August 2015 issue of Cycle World magazine. "The RT has raised the bar for pure riding pleasure to new heights," author Paul Dean reported. "For riders who love to travel, enjoy having a little fun on the back roads, and often do both with a passenger, the RT could very well be the perfect motorcycle."

For the second year in a row, Motorcyclist magazine chose the BMW R1200RT as the 2015 "Best Touring Bike". Wrote the editors, "Go ahead. Say it. We have an unreasonable man-crush on anything with BMW’s new liquid-cooled boxer engine ... Our definition of a touring bike is one that includes the ability to pound out the miles as well as dance from apex to apex. ... We’re still suckers for bikes that can go the distance and are a hoot to ride."

Cycle World magazine chose the 2014 R1200RT as the "Best Sport-Touring Bike" for 2014, and Motorcyclist chose it as the "Best Touring Bike" for 2014.

The 2014 R1200RT was the winner of the Rider magazines people's choice award. Here are some of the comments from readers:

• It’s brilliant…a better sport bike than most STs, and a better touring bike than far heavier, less nimble, more expensive bikes.
• Fast enough? Yes! Can you bring stuff with you? Yes! Comfortable? Yes! Long-distance capable? Yes! Handles around corners? Yes! All around greatness? Yes, yes and YES!
• Yes, it has 20 percent less horsepower than the GTL, but it is also 20 percent lighter…plus, the ergonomics and wind protection are best in class. Simply a fantastic machine!
• More efficient, more powerful liquid-cooled motor, improved styling, traction control, electronic suspension and a host of BMW’s standard convenience "farkles" make this ultimate distance tourer even better.
• BMW has taken one of the best bikes of all time and dropped in a great new engine, bumped the horsepower up to 125, improved the ergonomics, surprised everyone with clutchless shifting, and put more fun into the ride. What is not to like?
• Outstanding balance. Not too big…not too small. Not too sporty…not too focused on touring. Not too heavy. Perfect balance of performance. If you can only have one bike (like most of us), this one is it.
• A supreme tourer and a very good sportbike and canyon carver.
• Styling, handling, lower center of gravity, new dynamic features like hill start control, gear shift assist, auto stability control, Dynamic ESA.

Me and my R1200RTW:

2015rt-saguaro.jpg

Great looking bike. Thanks for posting. Sold my GSA and trying to decide between the R1200RTW and K1600GT. I'm still conflicted but am leaning towards the RT - think I need to test ride both again.

They seemed to have left out not being able to ride it most of first summer it was out (strut). Or gear switches failing, water pumps leaking/failing, cheapened body works tabs....just saying lots of nice bikes out there and each have their pros and cons...for the premium price BMW requires I and suspect most buyers, expect the "more" it does bring, but less of the cons. Certainly agree final package is a great balance, especial when they are in rideable condition.

I waited on the shock-great bike! I now have 30,000 + commuter miles on mine. If I don't keep it, I'll trade it in on another...

Ditto Dean

I've been riding my RTW since the fall of 2014. I have to agree with Dean. What a great all round bike - across town or across the country, on the freeway or in the twisties. My only problem is that the seat to foot peg is a bit too short for me. I have owned several touring bikes, a Suzuki V-Strom 1000, a Kawasaki Concours 14 and a Triumph Trophy 1200. I ended up moving on from each of these bikes. I'm not a dedicated BMW fan, but the RT is a cut above all of those bikes and I plan on keeping it a long time.

You won't hear me complaining about the recall though. I purchased my bike after 6 of the sequestered RTs returned to the dealer floor in the fall of 2014 and the new 2015 models were on the way. Got top dollar for my trade-in, about $2K off of list price and a free BMW GPS.

-Larry Johnson

Have my Rt almost a year now and 23,000 trouble free km! Love this bike and can't wait for the new season to begin! Only one minor problem right now though-can only get about 55kmh out of it!:ca

The fact the 2017s come with some transmission changes might cause me to question the earlier versions.

But, haven't seen the "rest of the story" anywhere yet.

Anyone know?

Anyone know?

Updates for better shifting.

For 2017, all R1200 models receive judder dampers on the transmission output shaft (formerly standard equipment for just the R1200GS Adventure), along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing. As well, 2017 models receive a new on-board diagnostics indicator light as per Euro 4 requirements.

I'm very new to it, but enjoying it immensely.

One thing I've noticed, I've seen it referred to as an "Old Man's Bike" in a couple articles. That surprised me. But, then, I guess at >60y, I'm kind of an old man.

Then, I thought to myself, "with age comes wisdom".

Hmmm, maybe it's a WISE man's bike.

I'm liking it a lot.

Great handler!

I'm a pretty hard-core sportbike guy. I have a Honda VFR, CBR1k track bike and I race an 800 Ducati. I love bikes that handle well and feel I'm a fair bike handler myself. I have a 14 RT here in Wisconsin and when visiting my daughter in LA, I regularly rent an RT. I ride LOTS of canyons out there and I'm willing to say the RT is an awesome handling bike. No modifiers like "for a touring bike" or "for it's weight". The bike just plain loves canyons. I ride with plenty of fast friends on all variety of sport bikes and they're all impressed with the pace the bike can hold. Then put on the luggage, tweak the ESA, have my wife climb on the back, and cruise up to Santa Barbara on the freeway at 85mph in total comfort. Just remarkable!

Some owners of the R1200RTW are having a little trouble sorting things out. Finding aftermarket accessories can be troublesome with some owner preferring one brand and others another. We all have different experiences with our R1200RTW's -- some fantastic some troubling.

I hope we remember through all our experiences that the R1200RTW is just a wonderful motorcycle. I have been riding BMW motorcycles since 1967 without a hiatus. Without a doubt, it is the finest BMW I have ever owned. It is a sheer joy to ride, to care for, and even just to look at. IMHO it is the finest road motorcycle made today.

Here are comments from various motor journalists on the R1200RTW:

0n an over-10,300 mile long-term wrap-up article on the 2014 R1200RT in the August 2015 issue of Cycle World magazine. "The RT has raised the bar for pure riding pleasure to new heights," author Paul Dean reported. "For riders who love to travel, enjoy having a little fun on the back roads, and often do both with a passenger, the RT could very well be the perfect motorcycle."

For the second year in a row, Motorcyclist magazine chose the BMW R1200RT as the 2015 "Best Touring Bike". Wrote the editors, "Go ahead. Say it. We have an unreasonable man-crush on anything with BMW’s new liquid-cooled boxer engine ... Our definition of a touring bike is one that includes the ability to pound out the miles as well as dance from apex to apex. ... We’re still suckers for bikes that can go the distance and are a hoot to ride."

Cycle World magazine chose the 2014 R1200RT as the "Best Sport-Touring Bike" for 2014, and Motorcyclist chose it as the "Best Touring Bike" for 2014.

The 2014 R1200RT was the winner of the Rider magazines people's choice award. Here are some of the comments from readers:

• It’s brilliant…a better sport bike than most STs, and a better touring bike than far heavier, less nimble, more expensive bikes.
• Fast enough? Yes! Can you bring stuff with you? Yes! Comfortable? Yes! Long-distance capable? Yes! Handles around corners? Yes! All around greatness? Yes, yes and YES!
• Yes, it has 20 percent less horsepower than the GTL, but it is also 20 percent lighter…plus, the ergonomics and wind protection are best in class. Simply a fantastic machine!
• More efficient, more powerful liquid-cooled motor, improved styling, traction control, electronic suspension and a host of BMW’s standard convenience "farkles" make this ultimate distance tourer even better.
• BMW has taken one of the best bikes of all time and dropped in a great new engine, bumped the horsepower up to 125, improved the ergonomics, surprised everyone with clutchless shifting, and put more fun into the ride. What is not to like?
• Outstanding balance. Not too big…not too small. Not too sporty…not too focused on touring. Not too heavy. Perfect balance of performance. If you can only have one bike (like most of us), this one is it.
• A supreme tourer and a very good sportbike and canyon carver.
• Styling, handling, lower center of gravity, new dynamic features like hill start control, gear shift assist, auto stability control, Dynamic ESA.

Me and my R1200RTW:

2015rt-saguaro.jpg

Just wondering ... what jacket is that ?? At 6'3" tall it looks like something that would fit for the summer.

One thing I've noticed, I've seen it referred to as an "Old Man's Bike" in a couple articles.

That's silly.

What it is before anything else is a police motorcycle.

Most of the changes that arrived with wetheads are to satisfy the police market, i.e. wet clutch, smaller step-over height (more female police).

It's a way easier/cheaper maintenance exercise to replace a wet clutch at the front of the motor than to split the bike in half to change the previous dry clutches. Police like that.

That's silly.

What it is before anything else is a police motorcycle.

Most of the changes that arrived with wetheads are to satisfy the police market, i.e. wet clutch, smaller step-over height (more female police).

It's a way easier/cheaper maintenance exercise to replace a wet clutch at the front of the motor than to split the bike in half to change the previous dry clutches. Police like that.

Nope .... heard the same thing as well. Here I am thinking the RT is cool and sporty and have had more than one youngin tell me "when I get older I may want an RT" ... or "yeah that is nice but I am too young for an RT" ! HUH?? It is not a Gold Wing for heaven sake! Regardless I love it !!

My Son is 25 and has a '14 Super Tenere. Couldn't afford a GS on his budget ( or an RT ) so the ST was the best bang for the buck. No regrets. But, I am surprised when he talks about wanting a new RT! He rides enough with me to understand what it takes to be comfortable on long days. Which the S10 is, but he cannot keep up with me in the twisties and he knows how good I have the wind management on my RT from riding it. I do think the "average" young person would still be stuck in the all out sport bike lust, but if they are a true enthusiast the RT is NOT something they would be afraid to be seen on.

Well, I loved my '14 RT, my other RT's were nice, as well - but I decided to get back to basics. I traded the '14 in and now have a 2016 R1200R, and I'm loving it! It has the speed-shift pro, as well as the push-button suspension. It will never be what the RT was, but the RT could never be what the R1200R is. I got a mid-size Ztecnik V-Stream windshield along with the trunk and side cases. A new BMW jacket, too. I'm a happy camper.

Back