• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS pressure modulator.

sdfarmkid

So here is my first post on this forum.
I have a 2014, R1200gsa that I purchased new when the watercooled were just introduced in the GSA's, and have enjoyed every mile. Currently 52,000+ miles with appslutly no issues, untill last summer.

When I would press on the rear brake, it would not move , obviously not allowing me to use the rear brake. I will admit it gave me a bit of a scare the first time this happened.

So a week ago I took my bike to our new local BMW dealership to have it looked into, and they came back with a bad ABS modulator. I had looked into this on my own reading of different forums, and here as well. So their diagnosis pretty much confirmed my findings.

New ABS modulator will be $1,966 and some odd pennies. Labor, tax and supplies, another $700+. So I guess you could say I had a bit of sticker shock.

I have read quite a bit about BMW having this problem with this back in the earlier 2000's, but have not seen anything on 14's and later. Also in my readings there is mention of bypassing the ABS altogether in those earlier models. Is that possible in the 14's and later?

First, before I go any farther. I can still ride the bike with no problem. It's just that whenever I start the bike I must first drive to about 5 mile per hour, stop and press down hard on the rear brake, and then it softens up and works fine. However no ABS from that point on.

Anyway to get to the point. Is there a work around? As I'm not enjoying the idea of $2,700+ dollar bill.

So any thoughts would be helpful.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm coming down on BMW because I do enjoy my bike. I have had many wonderful experience and trips. West coast, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and all over the upper mid west. By far the best way to travel and see the country is by bike.

(You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist office.)

Back