• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thanks all for K100RS advice

BCKRider

Kbiker
I know many of you who so kindly respond with advice to some fellow rider's problems, like to hear how things finally worked out. Thought I would kill three birds with one stone. All happened today. Kelly Flynn, an excellent and experienced BMW mechanic (with the help of two mechanically gifted friends,) did the following:

1. Installed a Pirelli Angel GT front tire (120/70 ZR 17, $176.15) and Pirelli Angel GT rear tire (160/60 ZR 18, $200.59.) Dyna beads installed. Tires were shipped to his shop from Canada's Motorcycle.
2. Installed Progressive Suspension fork springs ($126.10) and Progression Suspension 465 series shock ($644.74.) Same source as the tires. This shock may be a questionable decision on my part. I KNEW it lowered the bike by an inch, but didn't want to go to the higher priced shocks and this one was the only Progressive shock which fit. Think it safe to say that I will never again lift the bike onto the center stand by myself. Oh well, the bike never seems to burn any oil.
3. Fixed the speedometer/odometer. I especially want to thank Ron Cooper for his post that "if the turn signals do not self-cancel when the speedo is inoperable, the connector near the rear brake reservoir is probably poor." Tried it out this morning, and sure enough, the signal would not self-cancel with the speedo registering zero. Tried it again and when the signal DID cancel, the speedometer was working! Not for long but I thought "ah-ha," we are on to something! Note that this excellent mechanic was pretty convinced the problem was with the actual unit, but willing to try this simple suggestion. Unplugging it (well, first you have to figure out which one of three in the same area, and exactly HOW do you unplug it) then re-plugging it and - PROBLEM SOLVED. Time, maybe one minute.
4. One thing really good mechanics do is point out problems you didn't even know about. I've been very happy with the brakes, even if the ABS is inoperable (and there is no cheap fix likely after several years.) But the pads on both the front and rear were nearly gone! Was I happy to pay $156 for the parts to replace all three pairs of brake pads? You bet! Peanuts compared to what I would have paid maybe a thousand miles later when the rotors were gouged - and maybe I couldn't stop.

Thanks again to all of you who have offered me your advice. It was always considered - and you never know who will have the magic bullet to solve a problem.

Canadians (and maybe US residents, given the exchange rate) who need parts should definitely investigate "Canada's Motorcycles." Free and fairly prompt shipping, and knowledgeable people to talk to (1-877-526-7415.) A local dealer (who did not have the tires I needed in stock) wanted almost $100 more per tire. Not sure how he remains in business.

This was my first dealing with Kelly Flynn, but he is well known in the local BMW community. Google SWM Adventure Motor Sport to learn more about him and some pretty amazing things he has done.

Lastly, he charged me $60/hour for the 3.5 hour it actually took to do these jobs. (Think that is about half of the Kelowna BMW rate.) Good deal, right? But wait a minute - those two friends did real work (though one was gone for most of an hour to get lunches.) I have no idea if he pays them or they just like to hang around and turn a wrench and tell bad jokes. But for me, a slightly known member of the local BMW club, I think I got really efficient and expert labor (none of this "insurance regulations don't you permit you in the service area" BS) for about $25/hour.

Hope this doesn't swamp Kelly with work.

I have always had good dealings with Kelly, I was glad to see him back in a business that he obviously loves. As far as tires go, You might want to also check out Pete's Superbike. Prices are pretty good but not sure they will last with the declining dollar.

Back