• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TFT based Infotainment Connection Process

version 3 dated 3/14/24. Includes general tips and wisdom addressing the most common questions and issues about the infotainment systems on newer BMW's. Tailored to the big 11 inch display, but mostly applicable to the smaller ones.

Attachments

• tft connection and tips.pdf
    163.2 KB · Views: 32
It has been working pretty good with my iPhone 7.
My only problem is that in 9+K miles the TFT screen will shut down and reboot while riding down the road.
Have you ever had this happen?

Hey Bernie- I have not had that happen quite like you are describing. However- one time I came back to the bike to find the TFT was blank @ startup. Apparently that was due to overheating. That does not make much sense to me given the temps that day, but nevertheless- it came back on and functioned normally later that evening. There's just not enough info to know for sure, but the entire TFT rebooting whenever it feels like certainly does not *sound* like an app or wifi problem (connection drops) like most of us have experienced.

EDIT- not the same by any means, but at my first service- (Morton's Fredericksburg, Va) Dude comes top to me and asks if I've seen any warning flags, etc. Nope-nothing. He replies- Wow. You have 242 codes essentially saying "replace the TFT". Which they did- eventually. When it came in. Never saw any "official" indication of a problem. Just the obvious- the NAV would not stay connected, and kind of sucks anyway. The Service Manager Andy was pretty convinced that there was not truly anything wrong, just bad software throwing codes.

Last edited:
Well, it has happened 11 times since I had the 600 miles service done. The reason I know it happens, is because I get a notification in my headset, that the Bluetooth connection is lost.
I will then look down at a blank TFT screen with only the green light on in the far bottom left corner, while riding down the road.
The lights work, the brakes work, the motor will slow or speed up. Guys riding with me do not notice any thing out of the ordinary.
And as sudden as it disconnects, it re-starts, boots up with the welcome screen, reconnects the Bluetooth connection to my Cardo Edge and it even reconnects the WiFi to my iPhone 7 and continues the route navigation and directions.
The only thing it will not continue is either playing the radio or the media, if they where turned on before.
It will also most times reset the trip meter in travel computer #1 to zero.
BWM of NA is sending a new TFT to my dealer to replace it, since after updating all software and firmware programs did not correct the issue.
They did that at the 6K service, where they also did not find any error codes or fault codes of any sort.
I was also asked to remove all aftermarket wiring to my heated gear and remove my ClearWater LED Can-opener and disconnect my additional brake light, Billie by ClearWater LED.

Damn that is severe. I have noted that the TFT has frozen up at times when the stupid wifi drops and sodomizes everything in the process, (often takes the BT with it) but it has not gone totally blank. (yet) Latest version has been much better, FYI. I think 013.014.020

Back