• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Test Ride - '06 R1200RT

D

darcym

Open House at the dealership, they had a used R1200RT that I've been eyeing on their website. Finally got to take it for a test ride.

Didn't buy it. First because they wouldn't meet my OTD price. Second because I'm not 100% sure that I want it. There were three or four people who rode the same bike that day, so maybe they've got a buyer lined up. Oh well, I got a free bratwurst and chips and hung around for awhile (didn't win any door prizes as per usual), and talked with some club folks. Then took some twisty roads home.

I'm glad I got the chance to test ride it, though. It was an '06, with low miles & about all the bells and whistles - radio, cruise control, electric windshield, etc ... you could want. They put the low seat on it for me, and I still couldn't get both feet on the ground. That was a little unnerving. There was one at the other shop that I sat on, I could get both feet down quite comfortably because they'd lowered the suppension (for another $1500), but that was a brand new bike.

Here's what I thought about it. As a caveat, this is the very first time I've ridden a bike with a full fairing. I'm used to a naked bike, with at most a very small windshield. I currently ride a 2004 R 1150R, code name "Bruce".

First off, I notice that the R1200RT is quite tall. You ride sitting way up there and you feel like you can see over all the cars. The seat was quite comfy as was the reach to the bars and pegs. There was something hitting me about mid-calf, part of the fairing I think. It was a little annoying but I'd probably get used to it. You also realize it's a big bike. It feels like there's a lot to it. Not like it's heavy, it is top heavy but not as bad as the LT. There's all this stuff out there in front of you. You can't see the front wheel at all. It is well balanced, however, and doesn't feel at all out of sorts once under way. Touching down at stops requires a conscious body shift in order to reach (I can reach fine on the Bruce with the low seat).

The windshield was pretty cool. I adjusted it so my line of sight was over the top edge of the windshield, and I rode the whole time with the face shield on my helmet all the way up. I NEVER do that on my other bikes. The wind just doesn't hit you through that windshield. Looking through the windshield was a little weird, there's all sorts of distortions. The other thing is, with the wind off of you, you don't really have a perspective of how fast you're going. I decided to wind it up and I was touching 90 on a country 2-lane before I even realized it. It definitely has plenty of oomph.

Once I was underway the bike handled very well. I had to make a u-turn when I went into a parking lot by mistake, and it was slow speed and I gave myself plenty of room, but it went ok considering I'd been on the bike all of about 1 minute.

The transmission is very smooth, much smoother than the Bruce, which tends to clunk into gear. My first thought was it shifts like a car. There's a gear indicator on the dash. that was nice. I've never had one of those before.

I turned the radio on for a little bit. They've got the controls right by your left hand on the fairing and on the handlebar. Very slick, the volume automatically adjusts for how fast you're going, so when you come to a stop sign it's not blaring out.

My main concern and the most obvious negative to the bike, was that it is too tall for me. I'd either have to shill out for the lowering kit, ride with thick soled boots, or get used to it. Backing out of my garage might be really difficult. Backing anywhere not level would be near impossible. It's not as top heavy as the LT which I also sat on, but it's definitely heavier than the R. I also had a difficult time located the side stand and getting it down -- it needs a little wedge or something for my foot to push on.

The second negative is a little harder for me to pin down. I think I have to go back to that impression that it shifts like a car. In a lot of ways, it kinda feels like a car. And maybe folks who ride full faired bikes can help me with this perspective, and whether or not it's something you adapt to. When I got back on the Bruce for the ride home, it feels light in comparison, but also ... um, I guess it's dangerous. Like you could get crazy if you wanted to, flick it around corners or thread thru traffic ... Not that I'd be popping wheelies or stoppies or acting like a hooligan but the bike would do it if I wanted to (or had the ability to), because it rides and feels like a motorcycle. I have a sense that I'm riding the bike, not being taken for a ride. I'm not sure that I'd have the same sense of fun riding the big RT. Not that it isn't dangerous, it just doesn't feel that way. Like it's almost too smooth. Like it's not a motorcycle at all. Or at least, it's not what my brain has been conditioned to recognize as a motorcyle. Does that make any sense?

Probably if I got used to the heft and dimensions of the bike, it would start to feel more flickable. There are things I really like about it, I like the fact that it has a huge gas tank, and some of the comfort amenities I admit are really nice. I'm 100% positive that if I wanted to ride 1000 miles anywhere, this is the bike I'd like to do it on. But I'm also certain that the Bruce does things for me that this bike doesn't. So, I'm thinking I'm going to keep the Bruce for now.

Keep your R "is right"

With the comments you made you should keep your R. Maybe the bike is too big or maybe you are not ready for a full fairing bike. In any case the comments you made about it, I had never thought of after a year and 10,000 miles of riding mainly with my wife on the back. It is tall but try riding a stock XR650L!
Good luck and maybe you should wait for the F800RT if it ever comes out.:nono

gpodzo

Go "Rockies"

I think the biggest factor with respect to how a bikes feels is directly related to the size of the rider. I am 6ft. 1inch, 178lbs. I rented an RT for 4 days while visiting my sister in Pheonix. I absolutely feel in love with the RT. So much so that I traded my 05 R1150RA on an 07 RT in April. Don't get me wrong, I loved the 1150 too. For me, the RT actually feels lighter, is easier to ride, and much more refined. Like you, I found the shifting to be much smoother than the R1150. I have also found the engine to be noticeably smoother. I tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the footpegs so my shins are behind the lowers by several inches. After nearly 9k miles, I couldn't be happier with the RT.

As for the seat height, I have the standard seat set in the low position and have no problems reaching the ground with my 33 inch inseam. Did you test ride the RT with the seat in the low position?

I think the biggest factor with respect to how a bikes feels is directly related to the size of the rider. ...
As for the seat height, I have the standard seat set in the low position and have no problems reaching the ground with my 33 inch inseam. Did you test ride the RT with the seat in the low position?

Yes, although the dealer set it up so I assume it was in the low position. They swapped out the seat for the low seat before I got on.

I'm 5' 7" with about a 29 inch inseam, so the RT is a big bike for me. Once up and riding it seemed fine, though.

I felt the same way about my '01 RT. It felt like a much heavier bike than my Sportster even thought they were 50lbs apart. I just love this bike. It handles like a sport bike, protects me from the weather like a big GoldWing, and takes every thing I need for work with ease. I bought a seat from a '96 RT that is much narrower and lower than the '01 seat. That helped. And I always wear my riding boots that give me an inch up. I do wish it had a radio though.

Well, I have to take back all the negative things I wrote about the RT. The dealer called this morning, they wanted my R1150R and were going to meet my ridiculous out the door price on the RT. So ... I bought it.

I still have to figure out if I can back it out of my gargage with my stupid steep driveway. I may have to invest in one of those "dolly garage spinner things" that Wunderlich has ...

I'll post pics soon as I recover from the shock ...

Well, I have to take back all the negative things I wrote about the RT. The dealer called this morning, they wanted my R1150R and were going to meet my ridiculous out the door price on the RT. So ... I bought it.

I still have to figure out if I can back it out of my gargage with my stupid steep driveway. I may have to invest in one of those "dolly garage spinner things" that Wunderlich has ...

I'll post pics soon as I recover from the shock ...
oh man...CONGRATS! best of luck with her.
i had a similar scenario when i bought my R11GS in '94. i tested the whole bmw line for that year and the GS felt like the bike for me except for the height. i'm a slim 5' 8" with a 30" inseam. the GS was very top heavy to me and i found myself having to do some physics calcualtions everytime i wanted to park it. the side stand would make the bike lean a ridiculous amount so i would try and park on an opposite slope. in general, i would stay away from parking on too great of an incline. half the time i would have to be off the bike to manaveur it so i could saddle up comfortably. i tipped it over once backing it out of a driveway and i didn't have enough momentum and i ended up with the front wheel at the top of the driveway and the rear wheel on the street. so my legs were about 6" off the ground and when it started to tip, there was nothing i could do except to try and lay it down as gently as possible.

i kept that bike up until just a few months ago after i bought an '04 boxer cup replika. the BCR felt so light and nimble compared to the GS. i had to adjust a bit to the GS but once i did, i was very happy with her. but my riding style and habits have changed since i bought her and it did start to feel bulkier the past few years. hard to believe '94 was 13 yrs ago! i was 28 then and now i'm 41. i guess my point is that you can get used to the height and weight of a big bike with just a bit of practice. i was never able to sit at a light with both feet on the ground, so i always stayed on my right foot. once you were moving though, the bike felt light. IMO, the easiest way to back your bike down your driveway would be to do it off the bike and just ride the front brake.
best of luck with your RT!

I didn't ride it today but I can tell that there is a lot of foam that could be sculpted out of the seat pan. If I could gain an inch I'd be a lot more comfortable. Working on other stuff today but will have a ride tomorrow.

:german

R1200rt

DarcyM,
I have a 06 R12RT and got the low seat.
As you, I have a 29" inseam, I had trouble reaching the ground
comfortably. Her is what I did to help with the problem
1- I got some Harley riding boots, just plain janes with the
normal sole thickness.
2-With the low seat option in the low position I took the
adjusment bar with the slotted rubber things on each end.
I ground down one side flat on each of the rubber ends
and reinstalled the seat.

I can now reach the ground, almost flat footed and things seem
okay or maybe I'm just getting used to the bike.

I have talked to the Highway Patrol here in Arizona about handling
characteristics and the one thing they all have said is to slow down
prior to making a U-turn and look where you want to go. Several said
that if you try slowing down in the turn you will end up hopping on one
foot and end up dumping the bike.

This is only my second bike. I had a 68 Triumph Daytona prior
to this and the RT will spoil me from here on out.

good luck,
Bill
Prescott, AZ

In addition to cutting some foam from the top of the seat, you can trim it a bit on the sides in front. That makes it easier to reach the ground. An auto upholstery shop might be able to help you.

I'm actually beginning to think that I didn't get the "low" seat, just the regular seat in the low position. I believe when I test rode it the dealer put a low seat on it for me, but when I purchased it I got the stock seat. Obviously a misunderstanding on at least my part - I thought I would be getting the bike as I had road tested it. I should have been more specific, I'm sure they didn't want to give up a low seat for nothing.

I'm actually able to back it out of my garage onto the steep downhill driveway ok. Sharp turn backward to the right places me across the drive, then sharp turn left and down and I'm on my way. *whew!*

I've also found that it is actually easier to put on the centerstand than the R 1150 R. Don't know why that is, except that I can stand on the centerstand & very easily use my wt to pull it up, whereas the RR I felt like I had to pull backward.

Here's the ride ... still have to install old/new GPS.
IMG_1793.jpg

I'm thinking metallic blue flames .... :laugh
:bolt

Nice ride.

That is the stock seat. If you bought it "new" the dealer should trade you for the "low" seat at no cost.

Over the last 6 months, my RT has sagged an inch, so it is perfect for me. Until you get set up right, lower the preload (big knob under the front of the rear seat). You may have to turn up the Damper to reduce the bouncy-bouncy thing.

I like that colr!

Here is my '06 RT:

trunk_left.jpg

Just look at the smile on your face!

I don't think there's any doubt about how you feel about the big RT.

Congrats, Darce, now get your butt over to that "other" forum, share your good news, and make sure that you're 16.7 compliant!:whistle

As far as the steep driveway issue goes, if you have enough room in your garage spin the thing 180 degrees on the center stand then ride (Or walk) it out.

BTW: sweet looking bike :thumb

:beer

Bon Voyage

I can finally sleep. After 14 bikes, three of which were beemers, the RT is the best . It was the RT or the GS. So my girlfriend and I went to the local dealer and sat on them and test rode them. I had an S, an R, and a GS before this and my mind was set on the GS. I plan to do medium distance two-up touring with a little camping. While my girlfriend liked the comfort and seating of the GS she preferred the style of the RT. My ferral inner being screamed GS, but I rationalized my situation and went with the RT. I just got the bike yesterday, an 06 demo and rode the long way home and absolutely loved it. I just came off of an 07 Bandit, and it would be unfair to compare the two, but the ride home was incredible. Traffic dicing was easy, straighaways with the cruise on, a finger roll, and the comfort was amazing. When asked, "Why did I cash in my insurance policy?" I replied, "For a retirement vehicle". This is the last one, I promise:whistle :bolt

Back