• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell me about your 03-05 K1200GT

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
Im still shopping for a new to me bike. Have almost convinced myself to get a K1200LT for the comfort and luggage capacity, but I am just not that old yet to be riding a Big K ! Can you owners of the 03-05 K1200GT (or any other years of that body style. When did that style start?) tell me about your bikes? They are really a beautiful bike. I have no experience riding them though. They are far and few between at dealers it seems. Im only interested in the GT trim level.

Reply on here or send me a message. Thanks again!

(p.s. '03-'05 is a "brick engine" bike isn't it?

Last edited:
I personally like the looks of the 1st gen GT (03-05). Rounder lines, more sleek looking and IMHO, much more beautiful. The 2nd Gen which started in 06 had a much different look. More of a touring bike and less of a sportbike. Harder edges.

I test drove a 2nd gen.. Think it was an 08. Fantastic bike. Super smooth and very powerful. I ended up getting a GS because I just felt more at home on it, but the GT was something I lusted after...

I have an 03 RS, The GT had the tall shield, which I had, it had fairing extenders at the handle bars, which I added for 80 bucks, The seat had a heated option and is a bit thicker, There was some small wind deflectors attached at the knees and the bags had color matched lids. The two position windshield of the RS was changed to an electric with the GT For the US, this was 03 and 04 only. I think there might be some 05 GTs from around the world but not sure about the US. The RS had this body style and nose style starting with 02. The adjustable bars on the RS are given up with the GT having the bars fix mounted about 2 inches further back. The cruise control is sweet and very addicting

Otherwise the RS, GT shared the same engine, body, tranny, tires/wheels, suspension, etc.

I have had my 03 for 4 years and 90,000 miles. It has been a great bike. The tall windsheild works for some and not for others. It also works better with some helmets than others. It isn't ever quiet like might be found behind the LT or Goldwing.

The engine is a great engine with the way it is mounted in the frame. Once out on the road you can be at 70 and have to look at the gear indicator or tach to see if you are in 3,4,5,6. You can bump rev limiter easy enough without realizing the revs are that high. The handling is very predictable and stable. Different tires make a huge difference on the bike being rock solid straight line or a bit more nimble. It is a bike that will require some active riding on your part. leading into a turn with your upper body and a slight shift of the butt plants it into a curve. Sitting up straight will invite the bike to stand up in the curve. Lean in and it leans with you. With the adjustable pegs in the low position they will drag a bit early. This is especially true if you leave the rear suspension set up too soft. Set the preload with appropriate sag for the weight and the bike will reward you with great handling. The brakes are outstanding. The front end doesn't dive at all and you can truly get used to using the front brake lever only, (that does the front and rear brakes well balanced). The servo brakes are different but awesome once accustomed to them

My repairs tend to be rear brake pads every 15,000 miles
Tires every 5,000 - 10,000 depending upon brand/model.
I use amsoil syn and change it every 10,000 miles. (it uses about 8 oz now between oil changes)
Front brake pads are good for 50,000+
Rear shock is good for 25,000 -50,000
Front is good for about 80,000

Brokeness
ABS/servo system on mine is still fine, others have had problems. Servicing it more rather than less might be key. There have been some warning lights flash but it was low fluid or a faulty sensor or two
I had a freak front caliper fail
I replaced brake lines due to age not problems
My rear drive developed looseness at about 90,000 miles and I replaced it with a low mileage OEM. Others have had problems at 30,000
My Hall Sensor just failed Sunday at 98,200 miles
I have a bad wire in the heated grips
My fuel pump was bad at 8,000 miles when I bought it.
A fuel line cracked inside the tank at 80,000 miles
Quick disconnects failed at 12,000 miles
Rear main seal and clutch were replaced at 6,800 miles before I bought it. (this early or to 80,000 seems to be the range)
Alternator failed at 90,000 miles. Replaced rear main seal and clutch then as labor took things apart to about that same point. Clutch worn but not worn out, rear main not leaking but o ring that secures all that was failing.

Do your regular service with a mechanic you believe will look after you!!

Over time I have added a short windscreen, a rhinewest chip, steglier brake lines, hyperpro shocks front/rear, a custom larger rear rack, replaced the OEM seat with a fresher OEM seat (it works well for me), HID lighting (why did I wait???? - it came with front motolights), flashing LED brake lights, and a GPS mount that is above the instruments attached to the uprights of the windscreen.

I ride my bike from dirt roads, the hundreds of miles of slabs, to a long 10 hr day finding as many back roads as possible in the mountains, to loading it up camping or two up riding, to doing track days with it bouncing of the rev limiter if I get sloppy on my shifting. From 10 degrees to 106 degrees, rain or shine and snowing, it has been a great bike.

I went from the tall windshield to the standard one, to a short one and like the clean air flow better. I moved my pegs from down to up and never looked back. My bars are forward in the adjusters and it feels a well balanced ride. My favorite tires have been the Q2s but Michelin PR2s and 3s are great too.

There are quirks here and there but nothing that really intrudes in the enjoyment of this bike. If I could wave a wand and give it 20 more horsepower and 100 less pounds, it would be so much sweeter. Still it is a bike I am not ready at all to replace.

Good luck
NCS

Last edited:
The K1200GT and K1200RS are basically the same bikes with changes in ergos and trim. Additionally, the series extends to '04, not '05. The Mk II RS series goes back to '02, the GT starts in '03. Yes, this is a "brick" motor (transverse four cylinder) and darn near turbine smooth.

The ergo changes are a more upright riding postion. The trim changes include a taller windscreen that is electrically adjustable, heated seats (heated grips are seen on the RS and GT), wind deflectors for the upper fairing (not on the RS but the law enforcement hand guards [adds a small cutout for wiring] can be added to the RS for $38 ea.), and wind deflectors for the lower fairing (~$150 ea. for the RS!). Past that, effectively same-o, same-o.

The LT is a different animal altogether, tricked out with radios and all manner of cushy toys and, IMHO, a tiller instead of proper bars for steering. Nein danke!

In general, these bikes are capable of very fast touring in a wide mix of conditions from twisty roads following the turns of a small creek to the Interstates. This past weekend I logged a 280 mile day trip in just this mix, traveling from just outside of Philadelphia to Middletown, NY, via Delaware Water Gap NP and back across the Poconos and back down back roads to the PA Turnpike at Allentown, PA. I was riding with a friend and his wife on an R1200RT and we kept in touch with wireless intercom (Sena SMH-10). With the intercom, we chatted about who was in what gear and so on. Where the RT had to do some serious gear jamming in the hills, I could stay in 6th and still get plenty of power to keep rolling. OTOH, the RT has longer legs, between getting about 50 MPG compared to 41-45 MPG on the K1200. The RT holds almost two gallons more gas than the K1200, too.

Cargo carrying on the K1200 is slightly limited with the high exhaust on the left side. You can add either the BMW top box (not cheap!) or a Givi hard box. Options for soft bags are now somewhat limited. If you can find a Chicane Dune bag and mounting plate in good shape, grab it (or tell me about it, mine vanished and I badly want another one!).

In general, don't pack everything including the kitchen sink; plan on traveling light with stuff you can wash. The trunk is a tempting place to put lots of stuff, but weight that high and far back on the frame is not a good thing.

Overall, the K1200 is a fast bike meant to get down the road briskly. Unlike some bikes in the "over 100HP" category, it's not likely to take off and leave you behind. These are not light bikes and the weight can make itself known in slow speed maneuvering in a parking lot. In tight twisties, the bars may take a little more effort but I've never found that objectionable. If anything, I feel that somewhat dampens an inclination to twitchy behavior.

Given your experience with the K100RT, you should be able to ride the K1200 with no real concerns about the transition. I do recommend riding the bike for several hundred miles to let the bike tell you what works. Resist the urge to jump on the bike and farkle it to death before taking a ride.

That said, there is one change that should be made before going anywhere: check the fuel line quick disconnect (QD) fittings! The original factory fittings are plastic pieces that fail; the male fitting snaps off and can do it in a way that dumps gas all over the bike. BMW issued a factory recall for this item. With a little luck, whatever bike you look at will have this corrected. Look into the right side engine opening in the fairing. Above the crankcase, you should be able to see two fuel hoses and at least one of the two QD's. If they are metal fittings, end of story, if not, they must be replaced. This is an easy repair and is discussed here in a number of posts.

All the previous posts pretty much covered it and I can't add anything but another testimonial. I think that generation of K1200 RS and GTs are still one of the sexiest looking bikes ever built. I never really really cared for the looks of the later GTs.

I considered an RT and an LT, and they are very good, practical bikes, but to me the GT is the very essence of everything "BMW"...long, low, smooth, sophisticated, beautiful, and very, very fast. Also it's a very versatile bike, which is important to me because I can't afford to own a bike for every application. You can cruise the slab as easily as you can carve up twisty roads. And it's as much of a joy to ride two-up as solo. All this means it's a bike you can live with and don't have to make excuses to own. It's a fun bike that you look forward to riding, whether you're commuting to work or setting off for the distant horizon.

On the negative side I'll just ditto a few points that others made. Slow parking lot turns require extra attention, particularly two-up. Fuel range is a bit limited IMO. I usually start looking for a gas station at around the 150 mile mark. It doesn't exactly dance through the twisties as it requires a bit of muscle and physicality. The stock seat isn't great but it isn't all that bad either. The left saddlebag gives up some space to accommodate the exhaust. Wind protection is good but isn't quite as good as an RT. It's almost impossible to change the engine oil without making a mess (note, the size of the mess has decreased with time and experience but I still have a mess at the end). In my opinion these are relatively minor quirks and don't significantly bother me.

Maintenance issues are not much different from any other BMW. It's the usual stuff and all well documented in this forum.

I've had my GT for about a year and have put about 10,000 miles on it and I'm very happy with it. For the same amount of money, I can't think of any other bike that I would rather have. I plan to keep it for a long time.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

OldnSlow,

I also still have a '88 K100LT, which I put on 60k in 4 years. I seen a chance to grab a '03KRS and I never looked back to wishing I ride my KLT which is still sitting in the garage.... so far since March, I put on 14k on the KRS. I ridden the KLT once since just to remind myself what it was like. The KRS power and smoothness is addicting. Better mileage, with just a touch less wind protection.

As others have stated, a KRS is all of the above, FACT.

My KRS has been farckle out to a K1200GT with the fairing pieces, upgraded seat, GT handlebar risers with bar backs, foot peg lowered and bigger windshield. Still it does not offer the same level of wind protection as a old KLT, but it is somewhat close. Time will only tell if 30 ~ 20 temps for long rides are really noticeable. I been in the mid 30's already for long rides this summer. They are more than doable. Riding all day, 10-12 hours days are not an issue at all. Turning around and doing another long day only brings a big SMILE and wondering where I will end up at the end of this day.

I did upgrade my ECU from the "166" to a "296" stock chip and my mileage went from 42-45 to 46-49 running at mostly interstate speeds of 65-80 here in Utah. Slowing down on back roads, I seen low 50's.

I do not run the KRS hard or as some say it should be ran. Nor am I a poke along rider. I do tend to run briskly at the right times and situations. The PR3 tires I put on it now have about 12k on them and still have about another 1-2k left. but I might change them out early. Heck 12k miles on this bike for tire wear is great.... really outstanding from the reports I been reading since I pick it up this spring.

I would gather to say if you found a nice 03-05 KGT or a 02-04 KRS and stage is as a KGT, you would be also having a smile at the end of the day.

Nothing wrong with an earlier KRS either, but the lean forward riding position is not for everyone, surely not for me. On the other hand, I did ride my KRS for about 3k before I started staging more for a more upright riding position. Leaning forward I did like the ride the KRS offered, but my hands and butt did not for long rides.

Good Luck in your quest for another ride. The older bricks are great rides, but hard to compare to a newer brick...

Back