• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Technology anxiety

bpotter

Thinking about upgrading my R1150 Rockster to a loaded 1200r but have some anxiety about the reliability/repair cost of things like keyless start, dynamic suspension, shift assist, etc.

Would love to hear from owners about their experience.

The “new” bike is a 2015 fwiw.

Thanks!

After owning 4 oilheads, I bought an '18 RT three years ago and have been pleased with the reliability of the bike so far (32k miles, 28k by me). If you do your own maintenance, you'll need a laptop and the GS911 device (or equivalent) to perform various bike functions and reset the alerts. No more throttle body synchs, alternator belt or dry clutch issues. The high-tech devices can have issues but I've not experienced any. BMW no longer provides any service manuals, a disappointment, but between Boxflyer, Jim VonBiden (??) and this forum there are enough resources to help you through most issues. The bike performs much better in my opinion, I believe you will be happy with the change.

R1250r

Thinking about upgrading my R1150 Rockster to a loaded 1200r but have some anxiety about the reliability/repair cost of things like keyless start, dynamic suspension, shift assist, etc.

Would love to hear from owners about their experience.

The “new” bike is a 2015 fwiw.

Thanks!

I have a 2022 R1250R and love it. With the low seat I can touch the ground flat footed and that is a BIG deal. It handles great, lots pf power, if not more than is needed.
I had the 600 mile service done and then rode it to the MOA rally in Springfield, MO.

Bill

Tech as 'modern" bikes mature. '14 R1200GS LC

My GS now has 53,000 miles.

Well the new circa 2014 LC GS design saved the new smaller 12v battery with whimpy 8 ohm heated grips, couple years later switched to hotter 5 ohm ones: $550 for the warm enough pair to put on my older bike myself.

The new GS now gives no or slow rear tire pressure readings. BMW asks over $500 for a pair of the transmitters that each have a dime size battery that is tack welded in and darn near impossible to replace.

The driveshaft has two "universal joints" without grease fittings and some blow up before 100,000 miles. BMW "says" a new driveshaft every so often, $1300 is like a lot of chains and sprockets, so no big deal.

Rebuilding or replacing their adjust "rebound damping by wire" shocks is not like freshening up the older shock absorbers. Just getting them out is a big job.

But I love many of the modern things: Starts every time. Oil changes show ZERO bits adhered to the magnetic oil plug despite the engine, trans and clutch sharing the oil, Runs well in temps from 20ºF to 110ºF even on dirt uphill in 1st gear for long spells. The telelever does real well in strong oscillating cross winds. Cranking up and down the windshield suits me. Old school Spokes are great, easy to snug the dud sounding ones. Brake pads are simple to change. Enduro Pro for dirt roads, Road mode for roads, forget rain mode. I think it cuts the motor on wide paint strips leaving wet stop signs and during 2 up sharp, touching the lock turns it cuts the motor since the front speed does not match the rear. Uphill dirt washboards really drive the rain mode nuts. The wonder wheel does a good job with a NAV V or VI when you are far from cell service (out west USA).

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

The bike was sold before I had a chance to see it but I appreciate the feedback.

The chase continues!

Back