• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Techlusion question

twins4life

They offer two different models of Techlusion for my (1997 R-1100R), "a FI-1033 R259" and a "FI-1031 TFI Electronic Jet Kit Electronic Jet kit for BMW Singles and Twins w/oem connectors (need to unplug the 02 sensor)"

I'll be on the phone on Monday with them but does anyone here understand the difference? One says you have to unhook the O2 sensor and the other one doesnt.

How do they work? Which is better?

Just for kicks what would happen if I simply unhooked the O2 sensor and forced the ECU to stay open loop?

twins4life said:
They offer two different models of Techlusion for my (1997 R-1100R), "a FI-1033 R259" and a "FI-1031 TFI Electronic Jet Kit Electronic Jet kit for BMW Singles and Twins w/oem connectors (need to unplug the 02 sensor)"

I'll be on the phone on Monday with them but does anyone here understand the difference? One says you have to unhook the O2 sensor and the other one doesnt.

How do they work? Which is better?

Just for kicks what would happen if I simply unhooked the O2 sensor and forced the ECU to stay open loop?

The R259 is the newer Techlusion device designed to operate in closed-loop (02 sensor connected). Since the R1100 series motors were sold in both open and closed loop, you can operate your bike with the 02 sensor disconnected. Until the R1150 series, all European versions were open-loop. The European versions were also not likely to surge. BMW didn't care much about the surging problem until it hit home with the closed-loop R1150 series motors.

If you disconnect the 02 sensor on your bike, the ECU will default to a leaner setting and will have a hard time idling. On your bike, you have two options. You can use a BMW potentiometer or a Techlusion device. There may be others, but these are the two most common.

For the potentiometer, the connector is located under the side panel on the left hand side where an electrical connector for the potentiometer is used on the European. For about $200, you can purchase a BMW potentiometer and can adjust the idle on this device to +/- 1100 RPM. BMW recommends the dealer adjusts with an exhaust gas analyzer.

The second way is to use one of the two Techlusion devices. The Techusion 1031 can take the place of the potentiometer for less money and has a series of three potentiometers for low, mid and high RPMs. Both methods will totally eliminate surging since you eliminate the lean-fuel condition.

If your desire is to operate the bike in closed-loop, you can use the new R259 Techlusion. This device connects up the same way as the older device, however uses OEM connector and has an additional connector to the 02 sensor.

If have used both device for approximately 50,000 miles on my RT with great success. The R259 eliminate most if not all surging on my RT. On my bike its about 90-95% effective. I personally like the older device since it totally eliminate surging.

Well I went with the Techlusion FI-1031 and run open-loop now, I have no interest in CAT's or O2 sensors. A freer flowing exhaust in next (CAT free).

The Bike runs FLAWLESS now, no hint of surging.

Will have to run a tank of fuel and then check the plugs and verufy MPG, I expect to lose a little MPG.

Techlusion after 5,000 miles

To Twins4Life:

I've run a Techlusion 1031 on my 1996 R1100R for 5k with a drilled stock exhaust (8 3/8" holes), and am as happy now as I was in the beginning. My settings are 2,3,2.5,9. Only one observation, setting the green pot at anything higher than 3 on a stock exhaust is too rich and will carbon up the plugs and combustion chamber. Remember that a free-flowing exhaust eliminates back pressure and is very loud with not much performance gain. I used a K&N for a while without any noticeable results, switched back to stock filter. Also, I have a friend with a '98 R1100R fitted with Staintune exhaust and $500 Wunderlich chip, and my Techlusion bike is just as fast as his on acceleration and top end. He spent probably $1,500 or more. I got my Techlusion for $189. Just wanted to mention my personal experience. Good luck.

Well I went with the Techlusion FI-1031 and run open-loop now, I have no interest in CAT's or O2 sensors. A freer flowing exhaust in next (CAT free).

The Bike runs FLAWLESS now, no hint of surging.

Will have to run a tank of fuel and then check the plugs and verufy MPG, I expect to lose a little MPG.

What was your final mileage?

Back