• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which Techlusion

drh205

The exhaust on my stock 2000 RT after 40,000 miles has developed some leaks. I'm replacing it with a Ztechnik that eliminates the CAT but is tapped for the O2 sensor.
To eliminate the mild to moderate surging which I can't seem to tune out is one Techlusion product better than the other?
The 1031 TFI which does not use the O2 sensor or the 1033ST R259 which requires the O2 sensor.

Thanks!

I have the techlusion with the O2 sensor for my 95 R1100gs and I love it. I had very mild surging but with the techlusion I have none. The product works great and is super easy to install. Just remember to turn it off when trying to sync TB's. I dont think you can go wrong with either one; the plug and play just seems easier to me. Just my 2cents. John

Just remember to turn it off when trying to sync TB's.

Why? I've never heard this bit of advice.

I also use a R259 unit - on a year 2000 1100RT. It's been in use for over 50,000 miles. It does offer a fair degree of tunability which might be handy with an aftermarket pipe.

I'm not familiar with the 1031 unit.

The exhaust on my stock 2000 RT after 40,000 miles has developed some leaks. I'm replacing it with a Ztechnik that eliminates the CAT but is tapped for the O2 sensor.
To eliminate the mild to moderate surging which I can't seem to tune out is one Techlusion product better than the other?
The 1031 TFI which does not use the O2 sensor or the 1033ST R259 which requires the O2 sensor.

Thanks!

You really don't have to spend any money to cure the problem. follow my directions exactly. if for some unkown reason this doesn't work for you, just reverse what you did.
1. remove seat & fuse box cover.
2. remove yellow cube relay in the first row towards front of bike.
3. remove #5 fuse, in second row, counting from the left side of bike.
4. after aprox 15 seconds, replace #5 fuse.
5. leave the yellow cube out and replace fuse cover and seat.
6. test ride the bike.

I did this on my 99RT and all surging and backfireing from exhaust stopped.
I see you are new, I got this info from this Forum last spring. :thumb

I did this on my 99RT and all surging and backfireing from exhaust stopped.

What did this do to your mileage?

If I understand correctly how the EFI works, what you did was removed the cat code plug (the yellow cube) which in turn causes the CPU to run the engine at its maximum richness setting.

Downside to doing this is supposed to be significantly reduced fuel mileage and eventual gumming up of the catalytic converter (of course, DRH205 will not need to worry about the cat converter).

What did this do to your mileage?

If I understand correctly how the EFI works, what you did was removed the cat code plug (the yellow cube) which in turn causes the CPU to run the engine at its maximum richness setting.

Downside to doing this is supposed to be significantly reduced fuel mileage and eventual gumming up of the catalytic converter (of course, DRH205 will not need to worry about the cat converter).

Gas mileage seems to be about the same, maybe slightly better, which I didn't expect. I would have gladley given up a couple miles to the gal. to have the bike run this good. last I checked it I was getting 43 MPG and that was at Interstate speeds. coming home from the National Rally I got 36 MPG pulling my bunkhouse Camper... so I'm happy with the results. :thumb

Thanks to everyone for all their input. Prior to my original posting I had already pulled the CAT plug and it was a revelation. Now the bike runs like it should except for occasional surging between 10 and 20 MPH when the bike is hot and a rich smelling exhaust at stop lights when the bike is cold.
My hope was that by installing a Techlusion I can eliminate the remaining low speed surge and possibly the richness at idle. Based upon the favorable results that brokenbarrel1 and ALIENHITCHHIKER had with the 1033ST that uses the O2 sensor I'll probably go that route.

You can also replace the yellow CAT code plug with the pink one, which will maintain the closed loop control but also give you slightly richer fuel mix.

could someone in here be kind enough to explain to me in very easy terms what a techlusion actually does lol...my bike is 04 r1150r bone stock...

thanks!

Vegas Rider, if you want a little more information on how the techlusion works try this link:
http://www.techlusion.com/instructions/1033ST.pdf

Remember what ALIENHHITCHIKER wrote, it causes the injectors to stay open longer AND it allows you to adjust how much longer and under different running conditions.

Before I order I will try Andy's suggestion of the pink Cat plug.
Does anyone know what the pin configuration is for the pink plug?
Thanks

Why? I've never heard this bit of advice.

I also use a R259 unit - on a year 2000 1100RT. It's been in use for over 50,000 miles. It does offer a fair degree of tunability which might be handy with an aftermarket pipe.

I'm not familiar with the 1031 unit.

My R1100RT with stock pipes & cat came with an R259 unit installed after a PO had a horrible time with surging & wrathy interactions with dealers, etc. I think at one time he also had an aftermarket set of pipes installed. While the R259 "cured" the surging, subsequent to its installation, Anton did a service where the Throttle Position Sensor was adjusted & there've been several valve adjustments & TB synchs. Prior owner didn't do his own maintenance.

I had synched the TBs a couple of times (after replacing the original throttle cable at 45Kmiles) and then got around to reading the R259 instructions where they do advice turning the unit off to do the TB synch. Not sure why as the Techlusion is supposed to be inactive at idle & I'd think any adjustment at running RPMs ought to be done in an "as run" state.

As an experiment, I turned the thing off before the last valve adjust and TB synch & couldn't produce any appreciable surging other than a bit when cold. Bike goes as fast as I need it to, and could be pushed faster if I had the poor judgment to do so.

I have yet to turn it back on & may just uninstall it some day.

So I'm not convinced that a bike with stock pipes needs anything more special than good tuning, including setting the TPS (if and only if there are surging problems) per procedures available at the ibmwr.org site and elsewhere.

All the discussions on aftermarket pipes lead me toward staying stock. I consider the R1100 series to be pretty high performance machines as it is & would be looking at different machines (rather than making dubious marginal improvements to a basically good platform) if I were unhappy with the performance. (Exception: aftermarket shocks.) But that's all just me.

Back