• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMSX Lambda-Shifting (AF-XIED)

roger 04 rt

Those who followed the Wideband O2 thread in the Oilhead forum know that I did extensive testing on lambda-shifting technology on R1150s, R1100s and R1200s through the Camhead. On my R1150RT, the Innovate Motorsports LC-1 brought performance benefits and gave me extensive AFR datalogging capability, which allowed me to measure and document many of the Motronic’s and BMSK’s features which had long been unknown. Wideband O2 Testing on the R1150RT

In short, lambda-shifting technology modifies the O2 sensor signal in such a way that the Motronic, BMSK or BMSX (in the Wethead) is persuaded to richen the mixture by 2-8% (user selectable). Because of long term trims which are in all BMW fueling computers, the fueling gains which are “learned” in Closed Loop during lambda-shifting get applied to the entire fueling map. This means there is a richer mixture from idle right up through WOT.

I’ve been riding a 2017 R1200RTW now for a few months and like everything about the bike, including its performance and fueling. I was surprised that compared to my 2004 R1150RT with 8% richer mixture, the stock RTW required higher RPMs before up-shifting but the engine is really smooth so it wasn’t an issue that needed to be “fixed”. I have also noticed that compared to my 1150, the RTW needs more fuel from a stop to get going—but that too, I adapted to.

Many of you may be aware that Nightrider.com’s AF-XIED has been removed as an upgrade product for the R1200 water-cooled bikes. The problem that caused the AF-XIED to be pulled from new water cooled bikes is that BMW added a new O2 Sensor test (BOST, BMW O2 Test) in 2016 that caused the BMSX to generate an error code, which kept the engine from entering Closed Loop operation, defeating the function of lambda-shifting. Worse yet, BMW kindly added that test to older bikes’ software updates so bikes which had been running fine with AF-XIEDs stopped working. To my knowledge, no one has added LC-2s to a water-cooled bike, but they won’t work either.

Over the last year, a couple of us have been helping Steve at Nightrider to figure out what the BOST is, and a way around it. The first software solution to the AF-XIED (Rev G Software) looked promising initially but didn’t work. Then we generated a better model for what the test was doing and came up with a hardware Relay Adapter Module (RAM) that has been through Beta testing and recently Pre-Production units on various RTWs and GSAWs. Nightrider plans to release a couple dozen units for final checking in the field.

Since I finally had an RTW, I became one of the the Beta testers. The bottom line is that the RAM functions to allow the BOST to PASS so that lambda-shifting will function and produce richer mixtures for riders with AF-XIEDs installed. The add-on RAM will work for all existing AF-XIEDs for BMW motorcycles.

I got a set of RAMs and AF-XIEDs to test on my 2017 R1200RTW about a month ago. The testing went well and the units worked. Because of the RTW's generally good manners and strong performance, I didn’t expect to notice a dramatic improvement. Boy was I wrong! Lambda-shifting (Setting 7 on the AF-XIED) produced much better performance off the line, much better torque response between 1500 and 3000 RPM, and to my great surprise much better gearshift-pro performance. Off the line the bike requires much less throttle to get going without stalling, even allowing starts easily in 2nd gear. At riding speeds, just as with my R1150RT, I’m generally riding one gear higher (e.g. 6th instead of 5th) when acceleration isn’t the objective. The bike accelerates much more eagerly at 2000 RPM and less downshifting is required. I’m not saying I always ride like a poke—far from it—but when I’m cruising or in traffic, the bike needs a lot less downshifting to feel comfortable.

The operation of Gearshift-Pro has changed noticeably, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It’s smoother, with less tendency to lurch. And the effect is true for up and downshifts. I now use Gearshift-Pro most of the time—light and heavy throttle.

I’ll be doing more riding—and less testing—over the next month and look forward to additional improvements as the Long Term Trims develop further as I ride more.

For those of you interested, keep in touch with Beemerboneyard and Nightrider. They should have some units soon that will likely first go to riders who had bought AF-XIEDs and whose bikes had updated/problem software and who have GS-911s so they can confirm the results we've seen on the test bikes.

Thanks for the update, Roger - interesting stuff.

I'm going to get an AF-XIED installed on my R1200ST, this spring, in an effort to smooth out the low rpm snatchiness.

Last edited:
The Relay Adapter Module for the AF-XIED on Water Cooled bikes has been installed on several bikes now and all are working properly, without throwing any codes. (Only the Water Cooled bikes had a problem.)

As a result Nightrider is producing small quantities that will be available at Beemerboneyard and on the Nightrider.com site. Volumes will ramp up in the coming weeks.

Initial setting

Roger,

I just purchased the unit for my 2017 R1200R with catless header and SC Project pipe. Would you recommend an initial setting of 7 when I install?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I just bought an RT-W. This is interesting news! Glad it rose to the top again. I am not going to change the exhaust, but smoother power is always appreciated.

Yes. That’s the best place to start.

Just installed it and it really improves the midrange, launching the bike and cluthless shifting.
Sure would have liked if they made the connectors two inches longer for the R1200R LC. Barely reached as is. Other than that, I’m very happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about how to lambda-shift the R1250. The R1250 design appears to have an O2 sensor per cylinder, for Closed Loop Control, ahead of the catalytic converter AND one monitoring O2 sensor after the cat.

On the newest R1200s, an implausible signal, lack of or failure of an O2 sensor inhibits Closed Loop Control, limp mode of some sort is enabled, and an error is logged internally. Nightrider developed the RAM assist to make it appear that a normal O2 sensor exists at Key On when “implausibility” is tested.

On the R1250, the post-cat O2 sensor allows the ECU to verify that the cat has done its job. The ECU can measure during Closed Loop, during open loop acceleration and during deceleration. It would expect to see certain signal levels for each riding condition. I would also expect that the ECU performs an “implausibility” test, just as it does on the pre-cat O2s.

Although it seems likely to me that the current RAM assisted AF-XIED will work for the O2 sensors ahead of the catalytic converter (meaning lambda-shifting will function), some testing is needed to determine whether the AF-XIED will do its job or be thwarted by the post-cat O2, and any limitations that the post cat sensor creates.

Nightrider doesn’t have the resources or BMW expertise to do the testing but if there was someone who wants to try, and if they have a GS-911 that works on the R1250, I’m sure that Nightrider would support the testing.

Anyone interested can post here and then we can contact Nightrider.

Back