• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank Bag Issues

robocop

My daughter rides a 2013 650 GS model with the plastic topped false fuel tank. Magnetic tank bags don't work for obvious reasons and the strap down model she has swims all over the tank while she rides no matter how tight we secure the straps. This distracts her during her rides and is a safety concern for me as her eyes should be on the road and not playing tank bag tag.

The standard BMW tank bag for this bike is awful and stands so tall you need to get on the pegs to look down to see the headstock instruments. Don't know who designed the bag but they missed the mark badly. So, it's now time to order a low profile aftermarket 10 liter bag from Cortech. So, my question is simple. Is there any grip barrier material I can apply to the top of the tank to help hold the new tank bag in place along with the bag straps ? Nothing permanent to mar the tank but something to stop the side by side action caused by the slick plastic tank top?

How about applying some rubber tool box tray liner material to bottom of tank bag? Have two different thicknesses I have used for keeping tank bags in place on certain models.
Not sure what model is on H's 650, but it has some similar material on bottom that keeps bag in place with straps pulled snug

I ran into that problem on my GT. I bought a Givi XS308 Tanklock bag. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs308-xstream-tanklock-tankbag. The Tanklock bags fix a mounting bracket to the existing plastic tank using the screw positions already there. Once mounted, the tank bag isn't going anywhere.

A nice part of this, is once you have the bracket for your bike, you can swap out larger and smaller bags in seconds.

The XS308 is not nearly as large as the picture shows at Revzilla's website. That's showing the size with the expansion portion opened up. I'd guess the XS308 is about 12-15 liters in the smaller compressed size.

One thing I noticed is the underside of many of the tank bags like this are flat and stick out from the curve of the plastic tank. This tankbag doesn't.

Another that is worth considering for a small bag with this kind of tank lock bracket is the SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO tank bag. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-engage-non-electric-tank-bag Unfortunately, the bracket locking mechanism isn't the same as the Givi bracket. So whichever company you chose, is probably the tank bag line you'll stay within from then.

Chris

My daughter rides a 2013 650 GS model with the plastic topped false fuel tank. Magnetic tank bags don't work for obvious reasons and the strap down model she has swims all over the tank while she rides no matter how tight we secure the straps. This distracts her during her rides and is a safety concern for me as her eyes should be on the road and not playing tank bag tag.

The standard BMW tank bag for this bike is awful and stands so tall you need to get on the pegs to look down to see the headstock instruments. Don't know who designed the bag but they missed the mark badly. So, it's now time to order a low profile aftermarket 10 liter bag from Cortech. So, my question is simple. Is there any grip barrier material I can apply to the top of the tank to help hold the new tank bag in place along with the bag straps ? Nothing permanent to mar the tank but something to stop the side by side action caused by the slick plastic tank top?

My recommendation would be the RKA tank bag. I have worn out several on the 4 650 GS singles I've ridden, and I have one on my current F700GS. Also, you might want to let your daughter decide what would be best for her, instead of you picking the bag. Most of "us gals" know what we want. The three-way straps will tie to the frame securely on the 650 and will not slip if installed correctly. I have the non-expandable one. Other than fading a bit over time, they are very durable.
tank bag.jpg

How about applying some rubber tool box tray liner material to bottom of tank bag?

I did this on my K1300S tank bag. I didn't have a problem with the bag moving but wanted to protect the tank paint.
You can see it sticking out under the left bag.
I attached it to the bag so it would not blow away at gas stops.
Edit I used the stuff from housewares.

Large & Small.jpg

Last edited:
I was having issues with a tank bag too, I did find a BMW bag with suction cups at my local dealer (Jax, FL). It was the best one I have seen so far. I do like the idea of the rubberized matting, and plus that has a little DIY which will provide some serious self satisfaction to the project too!

good luck and do post the finished products so we can all learn!

Courtney
dcb_wvu
99 F650

Back