• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Switching from MPH to KPH

Is it just the analog speedometers that have dual markings? My F800GS on through 3 other 4 wheel vehicles have dual markings in the speedometer. :dunno
OM

If the US had stuck with the plan and gone metric with Canada in the 70's life would be sooo much easier now!

As well as less confusing and more profitable, as we wouldn’t have to dual-mark containers and such. But, there would be protests and such from those who tend to be backward-looking or unwilling to spend the little time it takes to learn the metric system, some of them would work their way up through the courts, and since there’s no US precedent for metrics in the 1700s the changeover would be struck down. So, it is what it is. The real error in the 70s was in focusing on conversions and conversion mathematics instead of a cold cutover. :bluduh

But getting back to the heart of the thread—vehicles both 2-wheel and 4 once upon a time had dual-labeled speedometers, the US speedo versions having metric numbers in smaller and different color print. Did that carry on till the rise of digital speedos or did that practice end earlier? :scratch

Best,
DeVern

But getting back to the heart of the thread—vehicles both 2-wheel and 4 once upon a time had dual-labeled speedometers, the US speedo versions having metric numbers in smaller and different color print. Did that carry on till the rise of digital speedos or did that practice end earlier? :scratch

Best,
DeVern

My Canadian Toyota has dual markings, but miles are not easily discernable.

Both of my beemers have one red nail polish mark on their speedometers (put there by me). The red marks remind me to not exceed that speed when pulling my one wheel trailer. The marks are 6 kilometres under the maximum speed for the trailer's tire.

If one does not have a GPS to change units, this could also work to mark common speeds when travelling in a country that does share your home units of speed. Nail polish remover or alcohol would most likely remove those markings once home again.

I just multiply in my head the metric sign speed number by .6 and round to the nearest 5 mph. Thus 90 = 55, 80= 50, 100 = 60 (62 actually) 40 = 25 etc. It isn't all that hard. They actually taught multiplication tables we had to memorize way-back-when I was in grade school. A hated lesson then I have learned to like now. :)

I just multiply in my head the metric sign speed number by .6 and round to the nearest 5 mph. Thus 90 = 55, 80= 50, 100 = 60 (62 actually) 40 = 25 etc. It isn't all that hard. They actually taught multiplication tables we had to memorize way-back-when I was in grade school. A hated lesson then I have learned to like now. :)

I do the same.

I was in Canada with friends a few years back. He was having a big issue with the conversion. I told him to multiply by .6 and he had an issue with the decimal point. I guess multiplying by tenths is harder than whole numbers! Like .6 is harder than 6?? I told him to forget the decimal point and just multiply by 6 and realize the 90x6=540, but is really 54 MPH. For some reason he could handle that!

Funny thing is he was a chief financial officer of a large lending agency, and he has trouble with numbers! The guy was really smart, but some things many of us take for granted just messed with his mind! I gave him a hard time, telling him he was responsible for millions of dollars but he couldn't do simple multiplication!

I think I said before there are only a few regular speed limits in Canada and the US. All you need to do is remember them. 30 mph is pretty close to 50 kmh. 90 kmh is 55 mph. 120 kmh is 70 mph. Easy to know close enough to what you are.

Back