• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding Radio Unit to 2022 R1250RT

boborgail

Picked up my 2022 RT in December and LOVE the bike!

Because of the chip shortage, the bike only came with Radio Prewire (including speakers & XM antenna). This was a $300 option.

Looks like the radios are finally arriving in the USA.

My dealer provided the latest part number 65127106140 (which he said superceded P/N 65127105111). BMW retail price is $512.20. I was told labor was only around 30 minutes and may even be covered by BMW under a "warranty claim."

For anyone who may have already purchased the radio module:

1. Did you have to purcahse the additional mounting parts as shown in the attached (items 2 through 5)?

2. How easy was it for the dealer to do the installation and programming of the bike?

I'm a little hesistant to be the "first one" at the dealership to have this done.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• RadioPartNumber65127106140.png
    RadioPartNumber65127106140.png
    134 KB · Views: 230
Not much to it. Put mounts on (yes you need to purchase them), attach radio, hookup three wires (including antenna cable - the pink one), then hookup to BMW computer for programming. I was charged $510.00 for radio and mounts and as you say BMW covered the labor and programming costs. I wouldn't and didn't hesitate to have dealer do mine a month ago. The radios have been available for ordering for quite a while, so imagine there are lots of experienced techs doing it. And BTW, the XM portion, on mine, doesn't work right now - not dealers fault (I'm not only one out here with that problem). Have to take it back to dealer for further diagnostic. Plus XM radio has my free trial as only three months when it is and should be 12 months. I've been in contact with BMW on this and have copy of memo from BMWNA regarding this. XM is wrong, but it's going to take a little while to adjust. XM customer service is the worse I've encountered.

2022 RT radio install cost

Hello. I've recently purchased a 2022 R1250RT. It has the Audio Prep Package but like so many others that came in, arrived without a radio. My query is one of cost. I'm in Canada so I recognize that there is always a difference between our costs and those of our American neighbours. My local dealer has quoted me $1,530CDN (claiming this is their cost) for everthing required for the insallation (labour cost being picked up by BMW Motorrad). It's difficult for me to believe that the dealer is not making anything on the project. This is considerably higher than $510.00US? Does this cost appear to be legitimate? Can anyone shed light on the extreme difference please?

BMW parts shows conflicting price information.

Attached shows Retrofit Audio System (P/N 6512900000) , including mounting hardware and audio unit, priced at $1244.95. BMW picks up installation cost.

However, the audio unit has been replaced by P/N 65127106140 (see my first post in this thread), priced at $512.20. That's $574.48 LESS than the discountined auto unit shown below.

This means the cost for the Retrofit Audio System should be $670.47.

I'll be checking with my dealer to see how they price out the Retrofit Audio System now.

R1250RTAudioRetrofit.jpg

Hello. I've recently purchased a 2022 R1250RT. It has the Audio Prep Package but like so many others that came in, arrived without a radio. My query is one of cost. I'm in Canada so I recognize that there is always a difference between our costs and those of our American neighbours. My local dealer has quoted me $1,530CDN (claiming this is their cost) for everthing required for the insallation (labour cost being picked up by BMW Motorrad). It's difficult for me to believe that the dealer is not making anything on the project. This is considerably higher than $510.00US? Does this cost appear to be legitimate? Can anyone shed light on the extreme difference please?

Your dealer has the wrong part number if you have a "prepped" RT.

Yes, I think your dealer is thinking entire audio, but you only need the amplifier, which is what the US $510 buys, which includes mounting pieces.

Photo of Radio Unit location?

Does anyone have a photo showing the location for the installation of the Radio Unit? I'm curious as to where it goes.

Howard

radio.jpg

The radio is mounted under the passenger seat. Not the best of photos - here's the front of it with its antenna connections.

Back