• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Swing Arm / Wheel BEARING SERVICE FIXTURE

gtgt_bangbang

PULLER PLATE

I made some custom PULLER PLATES to allow the use of a cheap BRIDGE PULLER to R&R wheel bearings and swing arm bearings.

Tool is basically a 1/4" mega-duty "washer" with a 41mm hole (just > bearing-size ) in it , with 2 additional "washer" plates welded to either side;

one face is designed to slip snug around the wheel's bearing 'post' to securely align the center hole over the wheel bearing.
The Puller Plate provides a bull-strong & rock-steady rest for the bridge-puller legs while protecting the wheel's aluminum edge when pulling bearing.

other face centers up tool on the (nearly non-existent!) swing-arm bearing tube, providing the surface to rest bridge-puller legs upon,
The swing arm 'washer' is notched to avoid weldments which are present on certain swing arms, which would otherwise block square sitting.

When its time to install the new bearings, the thick plate serves as an excellent visual reference & HARD PHYSICAL STOP to assure the bearing alignment is square & level before its too late. The bearing is still 1/4" proud of bore and can be easily leveled to Puller Plate surface before wailing it home.

A couple taps more and the center plate's bore holds the driver (a socket or drift) in precise alignment to the bearing race,
(use any socket near 40~41 OD, 30mm Craftsman 1/2" was OK here )

With the driver in perfect alignment to both workpiece and bearing/race, you can focus on hammering as this TOOL CANT SLIP, your drift wont get off center, protecting the bearing and your fingers!

I think I picked up that bridge-style puller on ebay for peanuts.

View attachment 88890View attachment 88891View attachment 88892View attachment 88893View attachment 88894View attachment 88895View attachment 88896View attachment 88897View attachment 88898

Attachments

• NEW PULLER PLATE - 1.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 1.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 53
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 2.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 2.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 52
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 3.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 3.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 54
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 4.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 4.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 52
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 5.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 5.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 54
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 6.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 6.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 52
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 7.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 7.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 53
  • NEW PULLER PLATE - 8.jpeg
    NEW PULLER PLATE - 8.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nicely done there, GT! To somewhat paraphrase the ol' saying, necessity can be a mother. It's great to see that we can still come up with better fixes!

TY, Paul. Necessity in this case being; I am upgrading to a later year swing arm (for stronger tubing and cush drive.)

What I didnt suss out in time; I installed same (new) bearings as were listed for the OLD swing arm, but those bearings are too "tall' for the new design & wont fit back in the frame. .... ; The newer style ( sealed ) bearings are shorter overall. I also needed shorter pivot bolts.

I dont really remember how I got the bearings out originally, as I carefully stored the replacement swing arm under a layer of protective dust for a coupoe years ( iir, may have shrunk them out out with a mig, amazing results but not a job I relish on a new painted part! ) ,
so this tool was born to correct my error.

Lesson of day - refer to proper diagram when swapping alternate parts !

Back