• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions for Motorcycle Cover?

I've always kept my bikes inside, but I am beginning to wonder if that isn't overkill. If a good quality cover will do the same job, I could certainly use the extra room in my garage for many other jobs. Anybody else come to the same conclusion and been either satisfied, or regretted it?

Has anyone found a motorcycle cover/ brand that they are happy with? I'm looking for one that would be for outdoors, just for storage, and not one for traveling with. There is a wide variety of pricing, and I assume quality out there.

Build or buy a shed.
You'll be happier in the long run.

saferoad.org/best-motorcycle-storage-shed/

Joe

IMHO a bike thats been outside for years under even a great cover ages way faster than one kept indoors.
The Temperature swings, moisture and rodents are hard on 'em
My 1978 R-80 has been climate controlled garaged its whole life and still looks great, 42 years old.
Nick

Guess it's time to head to the bank for a loan to build a climate controlled little house for my 24 year old bike that is now worth less than a new Honda Grom. Odd though. Every issue of my MOA News that I open I see people running their $25,000 GS bikes through mud, over rocks, dropping them on their sides, etc. But I guess you wouldn't want them to stand outside under a cover when you get off them.

A cover outside is for short term, over night protection.

Getting them wet while riding and leaving them wet under a cover is two different things.

A covered motorcycle outside will get damp under the cover, dew and heavy rain will get under the cover and stay there because of poor ventilation. Dirt works it's way under the cover with wind and works into all the nooks and crannies. Eventually the electrical connections corrode and you have a maintenance nightmare.

You asked our opinions, you got them, it is your motorcycle, do what you want!

Oh, and it does not need to be climate controlled, just dry, and perhaps a bit of ventilation. a $1,000 garden shed from the home store will do just fine.

The other option is to find yourself a small cargo trailer, it can serve a dual purpose. Transport and storage.

The replies you've gotten have been directed at your first question, which is about storage, not use, and the answer is that NO, keeping a bike inside is not overkill.

No cover will protect your bike as well as a garage. Humidity and condensation will increase corrosion. sunlight will damage any bits that are not completely covered and possibly some bits that are covered if it does not block all UV rays. Dust will get under the cover, and the dust will also hold the moisture from the inevitable condensation. Wind will cause the cover to flap about and if the fabric does not abrade the shield and paint, the accumulated dirt under the cover might. Critters will have easy access to build nests, use crannies for toilets and gnaw on expensive wiring harnesses.

A cover is only slightly better than nothing, and it is what I have used when I had no better option. I've used a plastic waterbed liner with a sheet underneath, I've used tarps, I've used a couple different manufactured covers, I still have a travel cover. But I built a shed as soon as possible because I could see the damage beginning on corroded fasteners. No cover will protect as well as even a cheap shed. Weathering is not unique to BMWs, or motorcycles, it happens to anything left outside, including cars, trucks, farm equipment, lawnmowers.

You set your own priorities, it's your bike. You asked the question in a public forum, we've taken the time to give you our best answer. Getting sarcastic because you don't like the answer is childish.

You set your own priorities, it's your bike. You asked the question in a public forum, we've taken the time to give you our best answer. Getting sarcastic because you don't like the answer is childish.

It's replies like these that make me seriously consider whether I really need the MOA. I asked a simple question about covers. Yes I know keeping a bike inside is a good idea. I've done it all my life. But unlike, it seems a lot of people, I have a pretty busy life outside of motorcycling. My garage is just two cars and is packed with tools and machinery that I need for countless jobs. Now I have two BMW bikes in it. All I wanted was advice on covers, not schooling in how dumb I am to try to put one bike outside for a while. If you can skip the sarcasm, I can certainly skip the insults.

Everyone may note that Matt Parkhouse, the venerated airhead guru, seems to have no problem keeping, I believe both of his and his wife's bikes outside, under tarps, all year round, including the winter. I imagine it's for the same reasons: tight garage space.

It has occurred to me more than once that I am not really BMW MOA material. I don't take off for three week vacations on the bike, loaded with gear, and minus my wife. I'm not planning on riding around Europe this year. I don't trade one in every two years for a new one. I don't keep five bikes in my garage, all ready to go. And I'm not planning to ride 50,000 miles this years so I can win the mileage contest. For me, they are just a tool/toy to get somewhere somewhat pleasantly. They are not my life. Like I said, I am apparently not what the MOA needs, and that's okay. I can live without it.

It's replies like these that make me seriously consider whether I really need the MOA. I asked a simple question about covers. Yes I know keeping a bike inside is a good idea. I've done it all my life. But unlike, it seems a lot of people, I have a pretty busy life outside of motorcycling. My garage is just two cars and is packed with tools and machinery that I need for countless jobs. Now I have two BMW bikes in it. All I wanted was advice on covers, not schooling in how dumb I am to try to put one bike outside for a while. If you can skip the sarcasm, I can certainly skip the insults.

Everyone may note that Matt Parkhouse, the venerated airhead guru, seems to have no problem keeping, I believe both of his and his wife's bikes outside, under tarps, all year round, including the winter. I imagine it's for the same reasons: tight garage space.

It has occurred to me more than once that I am not really BMW MOA material. I don't take off for three week vacations on the bike, loaded with gear, and minus my wife. I'm not planning on riding around Europe this year. I don't trade one in every two years for a new one. I don't keep five bikes in my garage, all ready to go. And I'm not planning to ride 50,000 miles this years so I can win the mileage contest. For me, they are just a tool/toy to get somewhere somewhat pleasantly. They are not my life. Like I said, I am apparently not what the MOA needs, and that's okay. I can live without it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Dowco has been the cover of choice for motorcycles for a while........ Actually for covering a lot of the power sports machines.

leader-in-covers-2019.jpg

Have a look to see what fits. I like to see a cover with a bit of a lining or flocking so that the "waffling" of the wind won't scuff the finish, on some like my ATV, that doesn't matter.
It's good to keep an eye on the cover fit especially in wind as there is a bit of "ballooning" that occurs that can shift the cover. It is also good to remember that when the bike is fully covered, it has a larger wind-load area that may lead to a tip-over.
Good luck.
OM

I have bought a few of these over the years for my 07RT and my bike has stayed outside under an awning since I bought it in 2014 covered by them with no discernible damage. I like the half cover so I don’t have to worry about letting the bike cool first and these have been great travel covers. They only last a few years in our constant heat though.

https://eztouring.com/product/the-traveler-motorcycle-cover/

I also bought a used Geza to use when towing the bike in the bed of my pickup. It is soft and non abrasive and more waterproof and it was claimed to be able to withstand that type of wind force but at the price I wanted to test that claim with a slightly used one instead of going all in first. Glad I did because after 3 trips it had torn in a few places. I tow uncovered now and throw this cover over my traveler to protect it from the sun if the bike is going to sit still for more that a few days. These fit like a glove and if stretched and tied properly wouldn’t allow any wind buffeting when not towing. They are also breathable but are quite expensive for all those features.

http://www.gezagear.com/

To answer your question "Suggestions for a motorcycle cover?"
Check out CycleShell, it's working for me, it might for you.

While it's a no brainer that inside is better than outside, I've been forced to keep a few of my bikes outside.

1. Local weather near the ocean in SoCal is mild, but salty air can wreak havoc on vehicles stored outside.

2. I've used Dowco covers with good results.

3. About 8 years ago purchased a used CycleShell from friend that had installed a sidecar on his GS. I was able to purchase a replacement fabric cover from CycleShell earlier this year.

4. I believe it works as well as storing in an indoor non climate controlled garage, unless a tornado rips it apart or a tree falls on it.

5. I use a regular Dowco or other cover in addition to the CycleShell.

Bill

I don't disagree with people disagreeing, it happens all of the time.
I joined because I'd thrown away my televisions and purchased an AirHead.
Then started Googlen for info on /5 motorcycles and wound up here.
The term "2 birds with 1 stone" comes to mind as I found lots of good info on bikes and all of the entertainment one could want, but like the TV I have to change the channel to find what I enjoy occasionally.
Try this backwards from page 48. I laughed in a place not expecting funny.
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...during-this-time-of-National-Emergency/page48

Last edited:
Believe it or not...

The BMW $50 silver cover is really a good option. I’ve used it for years. And yes sir... you are BMW MOA materiel. Try not to let our personalities get in the way of our genuine desire to help you.

It seems to me that the first question in your post was whether people kept bikes outside and did they regret it (not which cover to use):

"I've always kept my bikes inside, but I am beginning to wonder if that isn't overkill. If a good quality cover will do the same job, I could certainly use the extra room in my garage for many other jobs. Anybody else come to the same conclusion and been either satisfied, or regretted it?"

You received responses to that question, so I'm not sure why you're so upset about it.

Matt lives in Colorado, which is distinctly different from your neck of the woods in Ohio. Colorado has very low humidity, which would be much easier on a bike left outside than the crushing humidity in the Midwest (I know...I grew up in Central Illinois).

Regarding covers, I've been very happy with E-Z Touring, but I don't believe they are really designed for full time storage (they pack small, so great for travel). Here's their website so you can check it out: https://eztouring.com/ I only include it because they make a great product that has held up well for 12 years of use, although not outside in the weather 24/7.

Good luck with your decision!

It's replies like these that make me seriously consider whether I really need the MOA. I asked a simple question about covers. Yes I know keeping a bike inside is a good idea.

Your question seemed a bit vague, just info on covers, or covers versus storing inside? Then the comment of going to the bank and borrowing money to build climate controlled storage seemed a bit snippy, but perhaps we misunderstood your intent. It appeared as a slam to those that suggested storing inside was the best way.

Again, your bike, do as you wish. I have been in situations with no garage, but was able to park the bike under an over hang, but I don't recommend it. Inside is best for long term, regardless of which cover you use.

Alternate

There are several covers out there. I would go for the thickest you can find.

Is a roof extension possible, like a porch or covered patio? Just keeping the bikes dry and out of the sunlight will help a lot. Would a Park-n-Move dolly help minimize the wasted floor space in your garage?

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions on the covers. It is exactly the information I needed, and I plan on checking out the various covers. It saves me a lot of time.

This is just for a temporary storage situation, with the bike going into closed storage as soon as I get a few more projects completed. For what it's worth, part of my frustration is with the stunning drop in value of the 1100 and 1150 bikes. Mine is in practically pristine condition, with many extras, meticulously maintained, and yet it appears to not have much value on the open market.
I look at Harleys, cruisers, sport bikes, and can't find one that has as much to offer as the 1100rt. But that's obviously just my opinion. It's too much bike for me anymore, but with Covid-19 I'm going to need to keep it for a while, just in storage rather than riding it, which I hate do with anything I'm not actually using. These days, I'm trying to keep possessions down to a minimum.

Didn't mean to go off the topic of good covers recommendations, though.

Back