• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stolen 2021 BMW Rallye GSA - South Florida

You can put handle bars left or right and hold the ignition button and hear a click. I do not use mine but the dealer showed me this when he was trying to sell me on the keyless headache that I did not want.

You can put handle bars left or right and hold the ignition button and hear a click. I do not use mine but the dealer showed me this when he was trying to sell me on the keyless headache that I did not want.

Another solenoid to act up? OK...

Sorry for the circumstances! Gut punch

Not that it stops determined folks, but do the forks no longer lock with keyless?

You can lock the forks with keyless, but I'm guessing if they were able to start the bike they can unlock the forks.
The forks are locked and unlocked electronically.

You can lock the forks with keyless, but I'm guessing if they were able to start the bike they can unlock the forks.
The forks are locked and unlocked electronically.

If they can hack the bank and the Secretary of Homeland Security they can hack your bike. Or load it in a van in 22 seconds.

Theft usually happens in a moment of opportunity (leaving the vehicle running when you run in to get a coffee), or calculated planning (the vehicle is highly desired so the theft is planned). In the case of a calculated theft, all that can really be hoped for is disrupting the “plan”.
Disrupting the “plan” is possible but does add a level of complexity.
OM

Easy solution. Don’t own anything worth stealing.

Agreed. Parking a beautiful, fully loaded $30,000 motorcycle in an apartment parking deck seems pretty risky. I'm often amused to see pictures of the bike Matt Parkhouse takes to Mexico. It looks so ratty that apparently even the Mexicans won't bother stealing it. And he keeps that way on purpose. A lot of trips there, it always comes back.
It may not have all the bells and whistles of a new GSA, but an old GS1100 with rattle can paint all over it and a seat cover that's falling apart would, I'll bet, sit in that garage forever. And it would probably run as far and long as the new GSA.

They still lock. You just press and hold the button till it clicks. I don’t think it would help in this case. Replacing the ring/button would have allowed the thieves (which are going straight to hell btw) to unlock it.

This was a planned hit. Reconnaissance was done and intel collected; meaning, there may be evidence, video evidence or telephonic evidence of that process. Somewhere in the days leading up to the complicated theft there is a trail to be observed.

Agreed. Parking a beautiful, fully loaded $30,000 motorcycle in an apartment parking deck seems pretty risky. I'm often amused to see pictures of the bike Matt Parkhouse takes to Mexico. It looks so ratty that apparently even the Mexicans won't bother stealing it. And he keeps that way on purpose. A lot of trips there, it always comes back.
It may not have all the bells and whistles of a new GSA, but an old GS1100 with rattle can paint all over it and a seat cover that's falling apart would, I'll bet, sit in that garage forever. And it would probably run as far and long as the new GSA.

The best part about Matt's Mexico bike is if you've followed his articles over the years, you would know any of his bikes are likely mechanically perfect.

If this ring button is a dealer part, couldn't sales of such items be traced in some way. I wouldn't expect it to be a high volume replacement item.

I truly understand the discomfort and anger this theft causes - we came home one day after a trip in the car to find that our nearly new Chevrolet Avalanche had been stolen out of our carport. They also kicked in the locked door to my shop and stole a couple of thousand dollars worth of tools. The local Sheriff's department came right out and took pictures, took notes, and completed their report.

Unfortunately, among everything else on their plate the theft of an insured motor vehicle would seldom rise to a priority for most law enforcement agencies. About once a year I get a telephone call from the State asking if the vehicle had ever been recovered so they would know whether to keep it on, or remove it from their data base of stolen vehicles.

Last edited:
I tried locking my steering today twice by holding the button down, I heard the click both times I tried, and it did not lock left or right.

I tried locking my steering today twice by holding the button down, I heard the click both times I tried, and it did not lock left or right.

Push button to turn bike on. Turn handlebar all the way to the left. Push and hold button down until you hear the solenoid move. Let up on button - handlebar is locked.

Harry

The bike was off, I turned handle bar to the left , pushed the start button and held it until I heard the click and no lock. Tried it to the right also. I will try again in the AM. I was in a hurry and just moving the bike around the shop.

Push button to turn bike on. Turn handlebar all the way to the left. Push and hold button down until you hear the solenoid move. Let up on button - handlebar is locked.

Harry

On my '17 RT you don't "Push button to turn bike on" in order to lock steering. With FOB in hand, all I need do is turn bars to left and push center "electronic activation" button until I hear the solenoid activate. Usually takes a couple seconds. It isn't necessary to push button first, then push it again when bars in position. To unlock it takes very little time when button is pushed to unlock.

The bike was off, I turned handle bar to the left , pushed the start button and held it until I heard the click and no lock. Tried it to the right also. I will try again in the AM. I was in a hurry and just moving the bike around the shop.

Guessing you don't mean "starter button". Perhaps the keyless button located mid handlebar. Starter button (rocker) is part of right handlebar assembly. I know you know this...just commenting in case some non knowing individual is reading.

On my '17 RT you don't "Push button to turn bike on" in order to lock steering.

No, but to demonstrate that the steering lock works on a keyless wethead bike, you have to turn the bike on first. Normally, the bike is already running as you come to a stop and are in the process of parking it and choose to lock the steering.

Logic demands that the steering can only be locked as you turn the bike off, and not as you turn the bike on since you can't ride with the steering locked. But for skeptics who say you can't lock a keyless bike, you have to start somewhere. By the way, that middle button thing on my key fob does not work on my wethead GS, the steering can only be locked by holding down the "on/off" button, (not the starter button). Maybe you have the alarm option for your RT?

Harry

Back