• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestion Question...

I think I'll take a poll...

See what the members think.

Jim

That is always the best plan. In this thread only three other non-mod members have posted and only once each. That is not to say that YOU are not important:), but no one else has really hopped on this band wagon. Like all forum areas, sufficiant demand and participation is the key to success.

Where will the poll be posted?
I was going to suggest a sidecar section as well.
have a good day...I'm going riding!

The idea deserves discussion and consideration. But, sidecars and trikes are different creatures and neither is a motorcycle; at least in how they handle.

Speed Up - go right
Slow down - go left :brow

Paul, you're a clever guy, but you're way off base with your comment. Yes, we all understand that a sidecar outfit handles differently from a bike. But in terms of legality, each state defines "motorcycle", and most states have gone with the NHTSA suggestion years ago, defining "motorcycle" as having "... not more than three wheels on the ground."

Yes, I realize there are more than a few uninformed motorcyclists around who believe that "motorcycle" means "two-wheeler", and that a vehicle such as the Can Am Spyder doesn't qualify. But personal opinion doesn't count here. The laws count.

Or, I could show you the license plate on my three-wheeled vehicles, or the registration certificates, that say "motorcycle." Or I could show you my driver's license endorsement that lists "2 and 3 wheeled motorcycles."

My suggestion is to not get caught up in any anti-three-wheeler bigotry, and instead work toward providing a section of the forum specifically for BMW riders interested in three wheelers, whether sidecar or trike configuration.

pmdave

Somehow, I had thought (over-optimistically it seems) that it would be obvious that certain topics would be included in the forum somewhere. To me, it's not a matter of numbers, but rather the concept that some subjects just belong. Should we refuse to allow someone a topic of interest simply because there aren't enough of them?

If it's just a matter of numbers, why do we "waste" a section on the election? I say it's not a matter of numbers, but some cleverness about providing forums for a wide variety of BMW owners.

It just seems obvious to me that BMW riders would be interested in three-wheelers, primarily sidecar combinations. Historically, BMW motorcycles had sidecar lugs, for a very good reason. Back in the 1920s, 4 out of 5 motorcycles had sidecars attached. And of all brands, BMW enthusiasts tend to be more mature, more experienced, and well-read--and potentially open to discussions about alternatives to bikes. When we have had sidecar seminars at national rallies, there have been decent sized crowds. Apparently there are lots of riders eager for information.

Of course, I think it's obvious that the MOA site should have an area dedicated to riding skills (as many other motorcycle sites do), but maybe I'm just the eternal optimist, waiting, waiting, waiting.

pmdave

...BMW enthusiasts tend to be more mature, more experienced, and well-read--and potentially open to discussions about alternatives to bikes. When we have had sidecar seminars at national rallies, there have been decent sized crowds. Apparently there are lots of riders eager for information.

YES! While I have no current intention of acquiring a 3 wheeler, I would be very interested in learning more about them, their handling characteristics, etc. Living in a northern state, the 2 wheel drive Ural has seemed like an interesting option.

Somehow, I had thought (over-optimistically it seems) that it would be obvious that certain topics would be included in the forum somewhere. To me, it's not a matter of numbers, but rather the concept that some subjects just belong. Should we refuse to allow someone a topic of interest simply because there aren't enough of them?

If it's just a matter of numbers, why do we "waste" a section on the election? I say it's not a matter of numbers, but some cleverness about providing forums for a wide variety of BMW owners.

It just seems obvious to me that BMW riders would be interested in three-wheelers, primarily sidecar combinations. Historically, BMW motorcycles had sidecar lugs, for a very good reason. Back in the 1920s, 4 out of 5 motorcycles had sidecars attached. And of all brands, BMW enthusiasts tend to be more mature, more experienced, and well-read--and potentially open to discussions about alternatives to bikes. When we have had sidecar seminars at national rallies, there have been decent sized crowds. Apparently there are lots of riders eager for information.

Of course, I think it's obvious that the MOA site should have an area dedicated to riding skills (as many other motorcycle sites do), but maybe I'm just the eternal optimist, waiting, waiting, waiting.

pmdave

Wonder if the graying of the motorcycle market in the USA will bring the sidecar back? The Spyder is increasing in popularity, partly I think, because of the graying factor. Maybe the motorcycle market is ripe for sidecars again. HD has already made the move.

Any thoughts out there?

I don't have a sidecar - yet. I find sidecars kind of cool though. My Harley Electra-Glide had a sidecar option ($6,000+ extra!) - I suppose that HD still offers this. After reading some of the posts on ADV (particularly those of Mr Cob) about the Ural sidecar outfits my interest has increased.

A buddy and I went over west of Dayton to look at the nearest Ural dealer a while back. The Ural Gear-Up is very interesting - kind of an anti-S1000RR. Has that pre-/2 look with electronic ignition and Brembo brakes.

Since the OP asked about setting up a sub-area for sidecars, I'm expressing my opinion. I think that a sub-area SHOULD be established for sidecars. The lack of traffic shouldn't be an impediment. The overall member (logged in) traffic on the whole MOA forum area is very small.

There are a number of things going on with three-wheeled motorcycles.

First, although sidecar combos only add up to something like 5% of all motorcycles, that's still a lot of machines. I haven't done a count lately, but I suspect that at a BMW rally, the percentage would be more like 8% That's a big number considering the difficulty of finding a sidecar rig--or building your own. Imagine the sales if BMW offered sidecar combinations at their dealerships.

Second, there are a number of adventure travelers using dual sport sidecar rigs. Few serious adventure travelers choose a Ural, most have someone build them a suitable rig around some tried and true machine such as the 1150GS. Part of the allure is that negotiating technical dirt roads is possible without having to keep picking up a bike (as Charlie and Ian did in the Long Way Around) Another reason is to carry the huge load of gear needed for such expeditions. And of course there are those (like Ramey "Coach" Stroud) who have physical limitations that preclude riding a two-wheeler.

In the Gold Wing "camp" the percentage of trikes is around 8%. Many are driven by people with short inseams or slight build, who would otherwise be too intimidated by the mass of a GL bike to consider one.

The Spyder phenomenon is something else. BRP initially focused on sales to people who had no prior motorcycle experience. The idea was to get into motorcycling but not as a "biker." And BRP sales have been excellent, especially considering the economic slump. I don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see BRP selling 15,000 units per year. And I suspect it was a bit of a surprise when experienced motorcyclists also bought Spyders--as I did. I don't think they realized that veteran motorcyclists might consider the Spyder as an alternative to (or replacement of) a two-wheeled motorcycle.

Yes, I think the "graying" of riders is part of this. As you get older, the time eventually comes when you think of going for a bike ride, but the thought of manhandling the big road bike out of the garage and tippy-toeing it through traffic suddely seems like way too much effort for the potential pleasure. With the Spyder, just fire it up, shift to reverse, and back out of the garage under power. There is a considerable gain in peace of mind from not worrying about those weak legs being able to balance the big roadburner.

There are lots of riders who are graying and going through the above scenario. Some have generated forum strings. Often the thought is "Is it time for me to give up motorcycling?" when it could be "Is it time for me to switch to a three-wheeler?"

I didn't have to take up a rig or trike at my advancing age, because I've been riding hacks for years, as well as bikes. I consider that any motorcyclist who hasn't learned to drive an outfit is only partially experienced. I have just about a year on the Spyder now, and can affirm that it's a serious motorcycle for anyone--with or without prior motorcycle or three-wheeler experience.

pmdave

Back