• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

subtle noise, looking for opinions.

Rpstk53

Hi, on my 2002 RT I've been noticing a noise that comes and goes for a couple thousand miles.
The first time I heard it was on a long trip so I became very concerned but then the noise seemed to dissipate and then return after the bike has been ridden an hour or more.
The noise follows the engine speed, sounds like a SSSHH, as if a piece of metal is laying on a turning part. My guess is an alternator bearing or some accessory drive bearing starting to poke out it's ugly little head, but the noise is subtle and I was waiting for it to get worse or for something to break.
It's been the same for a couple months, but now I need to store the bike and if it needs to be torn apart I would like to diagnose it before winter so I know where I'm headed with it. I may pull the front cover and see if I can locate the noise with a stethoscope. Looking for advice by some oilhead gurus:wave .
thanks in advance:clap
Bob

Does it make the noise in neutral reving it up? Does it do it downhill with the clutch pulled in? Downhill in neutral clutch out? Are all the fluids full up? I would try and see if it is engine or trans/drive noise. My 2 cents. At least it's a start.
Jay

Jay,
it makes the noise in neutral, is there when you rev it up or let it idle,
seems to follow the engine speed as you shift up from a stop, cannot hear it over the road noise above above 25 mph or so.
It sounds like it's coming from the engine area when I am off the bike.
I feel it's in the front of the engine.
haven't tried the clutch in or out test, will try that when it stops raining.
just not sure!

Back