• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sturgis 2015

I was expecting a number higher than 12. Of those 12, 3 appear to be non-riding medical issues. Actually not a bad year.

Without casting any aspersions at any organization, or brand of car, as a generlization I would suspect that 1.2 million or so Shriners driving Buicks might have a similar death rate over the period of 9 days.

Back around '93 or '94 there abouts I was sitting at the Bulow Campground in the BMW section having breakfast with the world famous John Holmes. Was reading the the local Daytona rag paper. The headlines at the top of page 1, The Killing Fields of Daytona. I think about 7 or 8 killed on motorcycles in a 48 hour period in and around Daytona. If I remember correctly a couple of them were in the Bulow/Flagler area. It got my attention and I lived to tell the story.

If you take the deaths versus the population of Sturgis this week and compare it to the death toll in Baltimore. Baltimore has more deaths per capita for the week.

Ahh.... the pilgrimage to York. When I rode motors (Harley-speak for H-D's) for a living, there was great peer pressure to make that visit - never did. Peer pressure doesn't work well on me.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post

Stereotypes are just that. A percentage get out of control and the whole group is labeled. Just like every BMW rider is an anal engineer without a sense of humor.

And that's not entirely true about BMW guys - some will feign a sense of humor from time to time. :dance

:thumb:lol

I was expecting a number higher than 12. Of those 12, 3 appear to be non-riding medical issues. Actually not a bad year.

Actually, according to an article posted by Voni, 13 perished in fatal motorcycle crashes during Sturgis Week.

Not really interested about how that ratio relates to Schriners in Buicks, Baltimore, snake bites, shark attacks or dryer fires, etc.

This is motorcycling in the spotlight, like it or not, and setting a new fatality record is sad. :confused:

I think the point was that if you put that many people in one spot you will most certainly have deaths, and several at that. In reading the causes of death, some were health related, some were caused by auto drivers, and only a few were actually the motorcycle rider's own doing. Really, even at 13, I am surprised by the low number. Unfortunately, that is 13 families whose lives will be altered forever. One lady lived 55 miles from me, well known in her community. She and her husband were rear ended by an automobile driven by a 19 year old impaired driver. Very sad.

I have went to Sturgis 3 times now in the first or second week of September. Leftover tee shirts for a few bucks. Law enforcement is pretty thin, having spent their budget and lots of $$ in fines rolling in, I only saw one cop. Hotels and motels are cheap again. Heck you can even dicker with them Temp is better, no rain, beautiful blue sky.

Best time to go.

Rod

Yep, way up. Best estimates indicate about 700,000 with 13 fatalities, comes out to about one for every 53,846 people. At 5,800 personnel per national rally, were safe. I suggest we could even ascribe to a much more reckless code of conduct during the rally; statistically we'll never die. :bottle

I say next year the Aerostich crowd shows up with their 9' zipper half open - renegade behavior for sure! :nra

I have went to Sturgis 3 times now in the first or second week of September. Leftover tee shirts for a few bucks. Law enforcement is pretty thin, having spent their budget and lots of $$ in fines rolling in, I only saw one cop. Hotels and motels are cheap again. Heck you can even dicker with them Temp is better, no rain, beautiful blue sky.

Best time to go.

Rod

Make it the first or second week of October, the leaves are turning and you have the roads almost completely to yourself. I try to do this every year, and I am anticipating it working out for me again this year! It truly is a beautiful place to ride, minus the Sturgis crowd and pilgrims (summer vacationers). I love the Black Hills.

Rapid City Journal is now reporting 16 rally-related fatalities. That number includes some attendees who died on their way home from the rally. On a more positive note it was nice to see this article and see that racing, the original reason I attended years ago and a major part of Papoy Hoel's vision for the rally, is still going strong. At 700k people I have no interest in attending now, tho.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgis...cle_21545c5b-43e0-5b09-9921-c11dc994a6e6.html

Best,
DG

Rapid City Journal is now reporting 16 rally-related fatalities. That number includes some attendees who died on their way home from the rally. On a more positive note it was nice to see this article and see that racing, the original reason I attended years ago and a major part of Papoy Hoel's vision for the rally, is still going strong. At 700k people I have no interest in attending now, tho.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgis...cle_21545c5b-43e0-5b09-9921-c11dc994a6e6.html

Best,
DG

:banghead

From strictly a ratio aspect as eluded to in an earlier post, shouldn't there be at least one statistical fatality associated with a BMW national every year? No? Hmm, I believe maybe there are other variables at play here in this equation.

Wasn't there a really bad wreck at the rally this year? I vaguely remember hearing someone got hit at the big traffic intersection near by. I do remember the ambulances and flashing lights I saw from the rally grounds around that area.

Back