• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stuck in Florida, 2013 RT, 100K EWS came on, went away, no start no nothing

mrtnfischer

Der Kaptain
Today, I went out to go for a ride to mid Florida and no start EWS came on, charged i max, disconnected battery, reconnected, still nothing. I guess I have a Key Battery problem (don't have no stinking FOB} Just a flat plastic key with a plastic fat end. But battery reads 12.88V Tried again, turn key on, nothing on screen at all no EWS . Ok I says, Battery terminals, did a big clean here disconnected all aux wire for light etc.

OK, read the manual, no help, went to forum, no help. Something about a fender with a ring in it to place the key, or between the seats....
So I can't believe this have the original key and the plastic one.
I have to go to the Florida rally this week, help me out here Please..
this is the 4th R1200RT I have had all over 100 K, never had a problem before so.....????

Ok, just went out and used jumper cables to car, all light came up, no EWS, pressed starter button and click click clik. So disconnected cables, battery still reads 12.88, now again, nothing turns on with the key, thinking maybe corrosion on the starter solenoid or main wire connection, if there is one Battery still 12.88

Now, just put charger on for 15 min, inserted key, now dash lit up with a Triangle yellow, pressed starter button, Nothing happened but EWS came up when screen changed, no click no noise.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Today, I went out to go for a ride to mid Florida and no start EWS came on, charged i max, disconnected battery, reconnected, still nothing. I guess I have a Key Battery problem (don't have no stinking FOB} Just a flat plastic key with a plastic fat end. But battery reads 12.88V Tried again, turn key on, nothing on screen at all no EWS . Ok I says, Battery terminals, did a big clean here disconnected all aux wire for light etc.

OK, read the manual, no help, went to forum, no help. Something about a fender with a ring in it to place the key, or between the seats....
So I can't believe this have the original key and the plastic one.
I have to go to the Florida rally this week, help me out here Please..
this is the 4th R1200RT I have had all over 100 K, never had a problem before so.....????

Ok, just went out and used jumper cables to car, all light came up, no EWS, pressed starter button and click click clik. So disconnected cables, battery still reads 12.88, now again, nothing turns on with the key, thinking maybe corrosion on the starter solenoid or main wire connection, if there is one Battery still 12.88

Now, just put charger on for 15 min, inserted key, now dash lit up with a Triangle yellow, pressed starter button, Nothing happened but EWS came up when screen changed, no click no noise.

Thanks for the help.

The 12.88 voltage reading with no load doesn't mean very much. A broken battery can show that with no load and then a very low reading when you push the starter button. Read the battery voltage when the starter button is pushed and then let us know what it reads.

Are you still Stuck?

Please follow up with a new post rather than editing your first post.

Good luck.

OM

Back