• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Streering lock

Jinxman69

Does anyone have any advice regarding the steering lock set on a 74 R90/6. I have the keys but the lock set won't release. I may have to drill it out and buy a new one....

stuck steering lock mechanism

Duane's article is good....but....I have seen something happen way often in the past.....so, since you did not mention it, be SURE you have inserted the key and put mild, that is, light, pressure on the bars, slightly moving the bars back and forth a wee bit, as you try to turn the lock. If it still will not rotate, spray a decent solvent into the lock, and try again.
If the lock is at or below freezing, use common antifreeze liquid, like used in radiators.

Rarely, pinpoint heat will let one rotate and release.
otherwise, see Duane's article

'bum

I've got a thread going that's in la la land on this site. Do a web search Classic Bavarian Bagger. It'll come up, look for posts 92-97. Took some pics that might help. If you need a key, get a blank from BMW and have a locksmith make up a new key.

Back