• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Strange Sound - Starter problem???

1024JLC

This is the second time I have heard a strange noise when I stared my 02' R1150RS (23,700 miles). The 1st time was about 2 months agao, and then it happened again yesterday evening. Bike in neutral, hit the starter button and as soon as the the bike fired I heard a "quike pop or bop" sound, sort of like a metal striking metal sound. Only one pop/bop, that was it! The bike runs perfectly, no other noise, vibration, loss of oil, etc, etc. It did in again yesterday after about an hour ride, I stopped at the store to get a nice steak for dinner, and when I got back on the bike, in neutral, fired it up and again heard that noise. Again, engine seems to be functioning perfectly. Started it a couple more times last night and this morning with no problems whatsoever. I ride the bike almost everyday to work and do around 60 miles round trip.

My thoughts are leaning towards a starter problem, but I am only guessing and have no clue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Starter noises that I ever heard are the squealing type due to the starter not retracting fast enough after the engine starts. Never a poping sound. Wander if its perhaps back firing that you're hearing. At times when I goose the throttle while the bike is in neutral I get a pop or two, which can sound somewhat metallic.

Or perhaps during the startup, (when the bike fires up there is more shaking then usual), there is a loose connection somewhere making what ever is loose to "knock" agains some other part of the bike. During the next service look for any loose components (including the starter).

Pop goes the ...

I've experienced the what seems to be the same sound with my R1200C ... only a couple of times, but disconcerting. It sounds more mechanical in nature rather than a backfire or some such. Can't recall just what the circumstances were, but I'll be more diligent in documenting the next occurrence (if there is one). I had been riding prior to that and it happened on restart ...

Interesting coincidence! Just yesterday, I wasn't quite fast enough in releasing the starter button on my R1150R, and I heard a similar "popping" sound for an instant. I figured it was the enging "running up" the starter and causing a vibration in the armature or the Bendix.

I know it didn't do the starter any good and I'm hoping I didn't do any lasting harm. If it packs in someday, it'll be my fault and not the bike.

I got a reply on a different website that suggested that in might be the cam chain tensioners...any thoughts? Your are right, it is a very disconcerting sound, mechanical in nature, not a backfire.

Last edited:
Might have been the starter gear hanging up momentarrily, then popping back into the starter.

There is a simple cleaning procedure for this, see this thread: click here

Jim :brow

Back