• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sticking Windshield

Occasionally the windshield on my 1998 R1100RT gets stuck in the fully up position. Eventually it operates up and down again. Dont't know if the problem is with the switch, the motor or something else. Any thoughts?

Occasionally the windshield on my 1998 R1100RT gets stuck in the fully up position. Eventually it operates up and down again. Dont't know if the problem is with the switch, the motor or something else. Any thoughts?

Spray the switch with Caig DeOxit. It’s a contact cleaner and lubricant. I use it on any MOVING electrical switch… turn signal, lights, etc. Regular quick dry electrical contact cleaner, like CRC, is too harsh for switches. Most likely there’s your issue. Behind the dash, there are two relays for the windshield, one for UP, the other for DOWN.

Spray the switch with Caig DeOxit. It’s a contact cleaner and lubricant. I use it on any MOVING electrical switch… turn signal, lights, etc. Regular quick dry electrical contact cleaner, like CRC, is too harsh for switches. Most likely there’s your issue. Behind the dash, there are two relays for the windshield, one for UP, the other for DOWN.

Thanks for this. My old JBL subwoofer out in the garage sometimes has a flaky volume controller on it and it's start going silent every once in a while. I've tried other contact cleaners, but will give this a try before I open it up and replace the rheostat.

Thanks for this. My old JBL subwoofer out in the garage sometimes has a flaky volume controller on it and it's start going silent every once in a while. I've tried other contact cleaners, but will give this a try before I open it up and replace the rheostat.

The volume control on my car radio wouldn't change the volume and sometimes would just gp silent. DeOxIt fixed it. Turn signal switch on my '84 R100 was causing the relay to buzz and turn signals wouldn't work. First tried typical CRC Quick Dry Contact cleaner which worked at first, but then the switch started to sieze up and got really difficult to move. DeOxIt fixed it - took more than one spray - but signal switch moves side to side easily and signals light up every time.

And, when I bought it, it was sold in the audiophile area of whereever I got it.

Curious... I have a dentist friend who also does guitar amp repairs on the side, and he says that DeOxIt is horrible in guitar amps, as it leaves a residue which attracts dust. Maybe that's the lube?

The stuff he uses is from a local store, Torrance Electronics, and it's called "Tronic Kleen". The can says "does not harm plastic, rubber, or paint", and the ingredients include aliphatic hydrocarbon (CAS # 110-54-3) and 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (CAS # 811-97-2). There's probably a similar spray available elsewhere...

Just some info for my fellow sparkies!

Back