• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spot Personal Tracker

J

jbbstb

I would like to buy a Spot Personal Tracker but have read several very poor reviews including performance in remote locations and rude, unhelpful customer service. Would appreciate any personal knowledge of the device and it's reliabilty as well as customer service with Spot.

I'm pretty sure if you search the forum, there have been past discussion on the SPOT.

I'm happy with mine. It's always worked well, never had signal issues or any trouble with the device.

I did damage it in a crash a couple years ago. The corner of the case was ground off when it hit the gravel. It was held into a RAM mount on the handle bar at the time and was ejected from the mount and skidded down the road further than the bike. It still worked perfectly fine, it just wasn't very waterproof with its inards exposed. I sent it in for repair, they replaced the case and sent it back for no cost. Total time for that service was less then three weeks.

I got myself in a bit of a jam this fall and needed to have some help come get me and the bike out. I was just barely get a cell signal to talk to my wife, but I was not able to accurately direct her to where I was. I sent a "Help" message with the SPOT so she could use the location co-ordinates and the linked map in the email to find me. It worked perfectly. She printed the map and was able to get to me.

I would not go out for a ride with out it anymore.

Last edited:
Tracking has worked well for us on roads all over Alaska and the Yukon. Never had the need to test the Help or 911 functions.

We don't have Spot devices but do have several friends of the IBR / Long Distance variety that do. And I find the tracking we see very accurate and useful. Frankly, I don't know of anybody who has one that is unhappy with it, among our friends at least.

Last edited:
I would like to buy a Spot Personal Tracker but have read several very poor reviews including performance in remote locations and rude, unhelpful customer service. Would appreciate any personal knowledge of the device and it's reliabilty as well as customer service with Spot.
We have two of them -- an old, first gen model, that I have mounted on my R12RT, and a new one that my wife carries on her hikes in the Smokies. Both work flawlessly; we've never had a problem. Just be sure to give them, particularly the older ones, a view of the sky.

Thanks

Thanks for the good reviews. I think I will make the purchase. The information about WGS datum and decimal format was interesting and I will use it to update my Zumo as well.

I would like to buy a Spot Personal Tracker but have read several very poor reviews including performance in remote locations.

If you are seriously concerned about your personal safety in remote locations, use what the pros use, a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) which is monitored by Search & Rescue (SAR government agencies) around the world. There is a reason why ships and commercial aircraft use a PLB or EPIRB and not a SPOT.

The upfront cost is higher at about $500, but there is no annual fee...ever...and you know the government won't go out of business.

The coverage is far better as well. I plan to have one when I tour Iceland.

A few companies that manufacture them...
ACR
Microwave Monolithics

...and rude, unhelpful customer service.

Just what I need. :rolleyes

I've found Spot customer service very good but, unfortunately, I've had to use them more than I'd like: I'm currently waiting for my third warranty replacement unit since I bought one last April. My latest one was a couple of months old and simply stopped working during the middle of a ride. There was no impact, rain, or anything to damage it in any way.

My latest one was a couple of months old and simply stopped working during the middle of a ride.

Wouldn't that have been really convenient in a time of need.

That is why I've always classified the SPOT as a "toy"; great for curious family, friends and forums members to follow you along...when it thing works.

Well, the true value of all of the personal locaters is to speed the payment of insurance benefits to your heirs.

Well, the true value of all of the personal locaters is to speed the payment of insurance benefits to your heirs.

That is the main reason I bought mine.

I have been very happy with mine, and had no problems. Version 1 did sometimes skip in deep valley locations when on the move, but as soon as you stop, it locks back in, so in an emergency the chances are much better that it would transmit the needed info.

A PLB still has to be activated manually, and would not help locate you should you be incapacitated and NOT be able to press a button, SPOT , if in tracking mode, could lead to finding you or at least your remains in some cases.

With SPOT and a PLB you also have a shared problem: the last mile.

I believe that both monitoring systems hand-off/depend-upon local first responders for the approach to your last known location. With a PLB the Feds are involved, but only to a point. Therefore, you are at the mercy of the people and the equipment/budget employed by the local East Aorta rescue team. If they don't have a good GPS or are using the wrong datum (as mentioned in other articles), the PLB may not offer any substantial benefit over the SPOT.

If they don't have a good GPS or are using the wrong datum (as mentioned in other articles), the PLB may not offer any substantial benefit over the SPOT.

FYI, a PLB also transmits a low power 121.5 MHz signal which is used by SAR to home in once in the vicinity.

Ahhh that big IF...and considering some of the reports...if the signal is even received.

Well there is no accounting for operator error. But, we have several friends that use the Spot device. And when we know they are traveling we follow their progress. In following several trips including a couple south through South America we have never had a case where the tracking device failed to operate as designed.

I also recall a couple of instances where riders vanished in less than populated areas and wide spread searches were launched - one at private (generous donation) expense. Those cases would have been greatly enhanced had those riders had Spot devices that they knew how to use.

We have never had a case where the tracking device failed to operate as designed.

I've read about many from owners of the device. Google is your friend. I did a lot of digging a few years back on both devices. Plus, coverage is limited.

I've never owned either, but I know which one I am going with.

I used the older-version Spot on two trips this year to (first) Nova Scotia, then later down South as far as New Orleans.

I had no incidents, so the main function of the Spot was to entertain my friends as they followed my travels. In that respect, it performed as advertised. Only flaw is that if the line-of-sight b/w the Spot & tracking satellite is blocked at the moment the Spot "pings" the satellite, then that particular location isn't registered on your "breadcrumb" trail.

Just don't use it if you're going someplace you don't want your SO to know about. :kiss

Ahhh that big IF...and considering some of the reports...if the signal is even received.

When I have it on tracking mode, which I do when I use it, it is pretty reliable, once in a while I get an interruption in the track, and at least the search area would be narrowed, by my last hit.

I think some of the poor reception problem is they try to get it to work in a pocket, trunk or saddle bag, it might work in the Midwest flat lands, but get in canyons between mountains, or in heavy foliage, and it will not anymore reliable than any GPS based device.

I have the newer model and really like it. My purpose is mostly for the benefit of my wife and the tracking function is great. Wife and friends could watch me on a recent trip to Japan. Better is the "okay" button where I can check in easily and without cell coverage. I can program an additional button with a short message such as "done for day, all is okay" or what ever. those 2 functions give my wife peace of mind. Never needed the 911, but that was not my main purpose in purchasing. Still, due to other functions working well I personally have a high degree of confidence it would work. I would highly recommend one.

Back