• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spline Lube on a 2017 GSA

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I am doing a service on my 17 GSA and decided to lube the splines on the final drive. This is my first time doing this job on a liquid cooled model. The procedure seems very much like doing the same job on the Hexhead and Camhead bikes and I have done this job around ten times. After releasing the final drive and rotating it back I had difficulty getting the drive shaft to release from the final drive and noticed the drive shaft was loose from the transmission splines. I ended up removing the FD from the swingarm. The clip that is designed to hold drive shaft to the transmission output shaft is still in place. Okay, no problem I will lube those splines as well. The splines at both ends were pretty dry and there was some minor surface rust. I cleaned the splines and lubed them with a mixture of moly and Wurth 3000 greases. I loosened the rubber boot between the swing arm and transmission and attempted to mate the drive shaft to the output shaft. After numerous tries here I am typing. I can get the nose of the drive shaft on the output shaft, but is is slightly canted and will not slide on.

Is there a secret to getting the drive shaft on?

Found the secret, patience..... my weakness.

I took a break and walked over to the house from the shop for some chili. When I came back it slipped on the first try.

Ha...... Gumption traps, and I encounter them with monotonous regularity, do not cause me to lose my enthusiasm. They do however lead to fits of pique, cursing, throwing things and evidently eating chili.

I would not have even considered the need for spline lube in a 2017 GSA. How many miles have you put on it and how often do you believe this should be done - time or mileage? I do not know what the maintenance interval called for by BMW is (yes - I should know but I don't pay enough attention when the bike is still in warranty) but I'm pretty certain when I take mine in for its 6K service they will not be dropping the final drive.

I would not have even considered the need for spline lube in a 2017 GSA. How many miles have you put on it and how often do you believe this should be done - time or mileage? I do not know what the maintenance interval called for by BMW is (yes - I should know but I don't pay enough attention when the bike is still in warranty) but I'm pretty certain when I take mine in for its 6K service they will not be dropping the final drive.

I was doing the 24,000 mile service and it was the first time I had looked at the spines. Both the final drive and transmission output splines were lacking much lubrication and both had surface rust forming. Mine were not as bad as some of the pictures that have been posted on various forums and I will not check again for at least another 24,000 miles. Despite the snafu I had getting the drive shaft mated with the output shaft, it was not a major job.

Problem is BMW does not call it out.

If you have any doubt on this have a look at this thread. I did both my RT and GS at 6K.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/r1200gsw-lc-wethead-final-drive-change-and-spline-lube-pictorial.1129815/

I just looked at JVB's thread. What he described is what happened to me. The driveshaft would not release from the final drive splines and disconnected from the transmission despite the retaining clip. I removed the FD from the swing arm and the drive shaft came out with it. I got a good look at the FD needle bearings and they looked well lubed and free from any water intrusion.

I just looked at JVB's thread. What he described is what happened to me. The driveshaft would not release from the final drive splines and disconnected from the transmission despite the retaining clip. I removed the FD from the swing arm and the drive shaft came out with it. I got a good look at the FD needle bearings and they looked well lubed and free from any water intrusion.

When the shaft is not clipped at the transmission output shaft it is too far rearward. This means that the final drive shaft can't pivot cleanly out and away from the driveshaft. It is too far engaged and would need to bend which it can't do.

When the shaft is not clipped at the transmission output shaft it is too far rearward. This means that the final drive shaft can't pivot cleanly out and away from the driveshaft. It is too far engaged and would need to bend which it can't do.

That I did not know. I did however ensure that the clip was engaged when I reassembled. Of course, only after applying the PGlaves wonder mixture of Wurth 3000 and Moly grease.

Back