• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speed Causes Blindness, Film at Eleven

therideistheway

therideistheway
Hey, Everyone. We just completed a great 372 mile day ride with long-time friends, and while they rushed ahead to our destination, my wife (who also rides her own R1200GSAw) and I took more time to get into the flow of the ride, the scenery, and the feel of the road. When we finally arrived, our friends jokingly asked what had happened to us. I asked, "What have you guys been doing for the last hour before we arrived?" They said, "Just sitting around talking." I replied, "Yes, I see, but we were riding!" I freely admit that for many years I used to light my hair on fire before getting on my motorcycle, but when one finally realizes that there are fewer riding days ahead than there are behind, one tends to savor every hour, every minute, to the max. I try to pass that on, to get some of our younger friends to see what we see, but they'd rather see a blur than any details along the way. So that's Ok,it is what it is. I've talked to riders much older than myself and they smile knowingly when I describe the "slow ride" thing. Motorcycling is amazing because it can be so many incredible things to widely diverse people, and with everyone it still reaches the deepest parts of our souls, bringing motorcyclists from all disciplines closer together.

What are your feelings about "fast" vs. "slow" rides?

Not "slow vs fast" for me it's slow AND fast. I too have fewer days ahead than behind, but i enjoy all types of riding. I also have three bikes, to satisfy my various "personas" . A Harley XR1200, a Triumph Triple and a R1200RT...if I had a bigger garage, I'd have more!!

While I'm not ready to roll out of the throttle just yet, I'd rather ride than camp. Attempting to plan routes based on the quality and quantity of the turns gives me the opportunity to ride at a sporting pace while still missing dinner and setting up a tent in the dark.

short shame.JPG

Hey, Everyone. We just completed a great 372 mile day ride with long-time friends, and while they rushed ahead to our destination, my wife (who also rides her own R1200GSAw) and I took more time to get into the flow of the ride, the scenery, and the feel of the road. When we finally arrived, our friends jokingly asked what had happened to us. I asked, "What have you guys been doing for the last hour before we arrived?" They said, "Just sitting around talking." I replied, "Yes, I see, but we were riding!" I freely admit that for many years I used to light my hair on fire before getting on my motorcycle, but when one finally realizes that there are fewer riding days ahead than there are behind, one tends to savor every hour, every minute, to the max. I try to pass that on, to get some of our younger friends to see what we see, but they'd rather see a blur than any details along the way. So that's Ok,it is what it is. I've talked to riders much older than myself and they smile knowingly when I describe the "slow ride" thing. Motorcycling is amazing because it can be so many incredible things to widely diverse people, and with everyone it still reaches the deepest parts of our souls, bringing motorcyclists from all disciplines closer together.

Excellent point. I like to ride at a smooth, fast clip (thanks to Reg Pridmore's training), and a few years ago I got into bicycling around my cottage. I quickly realized that slowing down a bit can force you to see things you never took the time to appreciate.

The morning light on an old barn
The symmetrical pattern of endless rows of corn
The color changes and reflections on a lake or pond as you slowly ride by
The beauty of silence on an empty farm road................

I try to remember that when I feel I'm moving too fast on my motorcycle.
Sometimes we all need to slow down and appreciate what we're witnessing.

This is a really great thread! Thank you for starting it.

When I travel alone on my RT, I have a Nikon DSLR with a Nikon 18-200 zoom lens in my tankbag. I try to slow down, look for things which are interesting to me, and make photos. Years later, I have looked back at my photos taken from the motorcycle and realize that I could have done more to make better photos, mostly by stopping for a few more minutes, getting off the bike, talking to people, and getting closer to my subjects.

In practice, I try to stay off Interstates (unless I'm in a big hurry), and try to take what I call Federal roads (US50 in Utah/Nevada is a typical example). I've found that an exotic-looking creature dressed in helmet and Aerostich Hi-Viz is a magnet for those who want to chat. Once they look at my Massachusetts Veteran's registration plate...well, the conversation becomes more interesting.

I'm sure you've struck a chord here with a lot of riders.

As another "more miles behind me then ahead of me" rider - whether riding briskly or not so briskly, "enjoying the ride" is what matters most to me now a days.

Some of my most enjoyable rides have included more conversations and laughs than miles.

I came to riding late in life, in my 40s. For me, it has always been about the experience, never the speed. Not to say I don't ride fast and aggressively, because I do when circumstances are right. It has been and is about the moment, the scenery, the road, the smells, etc. Important to enjoy the moment.

I got into motorcycling after I blew my knee out in the military. In my previous life my two favorite things were backpacking and caving (spelunking). Both of these hobbies are not about speed, but the journey. You can be in the same cave 10+ times and still something new...if you are willing to look. The same can be said about backpacking and traveling the true back country of America. Yet, you also cannot stop and smell of the roses or you will never reach your destination. I take the same approach to motorcycling. When the road and conditions allow, I open the throttle and enjoy the technical side of the sport. It is also just as pleasant to enjoy the smells, sounds, sounds, feeling and sensations being on the open road has and means. For example, the feeling when the barometer drops just before it rains. The smells of the fresh morning dew or flowers in bloom as you cruise down the road. The sensation of the sun on you face, the feel of your bike and the road. These all play a part in the journey we all seek and why we stay and travel the roads and distances we do. Now I am getting to enjoy the wonderful experience of traveling the roads with my daughters. My eldest who is heading off to college in the fall is hooked and is counting down the days my RT will become hers.
So to answer you question Fast or Slow...I would say that I meander.

Mike

Started riding when I turned 40 and am now 58. Sometimes I zip along when there's no traffic, a curvy road, and everything is clicking. Other times, I mosey and take in the sights a bit more.

Granted, the same road ridden on my '09 GSA, '17 KLR, and '04 Ural, I tend to see more on the latter two and certainly stop more on the Ural to take pics.

Reminds me of a quip I once heard from one of my riding buddies who know in his late 70s, "the older I get, the faster I was."

And now I've got Foghat's "Slow Ride" stuck in my head, so thanks for that...

The great majority of my riding is with Annie. We tend to stay around the speed limit and stop fairly often unless there is a need/desire to get somewhere quickly. The speed limits in our part of the world are relatively high, so making time is easy. If you want to meet people at a stop then ride with a woman rider. Just be prepared to be elbowed out of the way by a bus load of French, British or Japanese tourists as they head towards the woman rider.

And my friends ask "How can you ride a motorcycle without a radio or something?!"...
My reply is usually "I've got the best video to watch as I go by and the music play list all in my head beats anything I get off the radio!":thumb

I bicycle also, neat to ease up on a doe and fawn just to watch them for a bit.

Bill R

Great T Shirt!

While I'm not ready to roll out of the throttle just yet, I'd rather ride than camp. Attempting to plan routes based on the quality and quantity of the turns gives me the opportunity to ride at a sporting pace while still missing dinner and setting up a tent in the dark.

View attachment 62216

I don't disagree, but I plan routes with plenty of long straight roads as well. And your great comment, "...still missing dinner and setting up a tent in the dark." That's what it's all about, man! Where did you get the T Shirt, or is it a one-off custom?

Speed is Alive and Well on the Track!

Excellent point. I like to ride at a smooth, fast clip (thanks to Reg Pridmore's training), and a few years ago I got into bicycling around my cottage. I quickly realized that slowing down a bit can force you to see things you never took the time to appreciate.

I try to remember that when I feel I'm moving too fast on my motorcycle.
Sometimes we all need to slow down and appreciate what we're witnessing.

Superb comment! Nice visuals! Hey, Everyone, I'm not at all opposed to speed, but when I discovered what I've been missing on the road, I lost the desire to speed there. On the track when there's nothing to see but the track, well now, that's another thing entirely. In that environment I enjoy speed as much as anyone else, probably more than most. And we keep several machines just for that purpose, well tuned and ready to go. Reg Pridmore is one of the best teachers/trainers in the world today.

Growing Motorcycle Family

Not "slow vs fast" for me it's slow AND fast. I too have fewer days ahead than behind, but i enjoy all types of riding. I also have three bikes, to satisfy my various "personas" . A Harley XR1200, a Triumph Triple and a R1200RT...if I had a bigger garage, I'd have more!!

Be aware that, if you leave them alone in the dark, motorcycles multiply on their own! At least that's what I tell my wife, but I'm very lucky. She's a long-time rider herself and doesn't mind. In fact, her side of the garage is more densely packed with motors than mine is now.

It's all about the balance...

As another "more miles behind me then ahead of me" rider - whether riding briskly or not so briskly, "enjoying the ride" is what matters most to me now a days.

Nice! Motorcycling is great because we can all experience whatever balance between fast and slow that we need. We don't even need permission... except perhaps from law enforcement if they're looking.

Back