• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

South Florida ride - The Keys and Alligator Alley

xp8103

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/03/01/motorcycling-keys/

When I first read the above article I didn't miss the fact that it was simply attributed to the Associated Press. What I DID miss was who got the credit for the photo at the top (and the article's subsequent author) - Glenn Adams. Glenn is the AP reporter for the State House here and fellow BMW rider and Airhead (I think it's an old early/mid-70's /5) who lives just a few miles from me.

When we see each other in the halls here, we always talk BMW motorcycles. Today as we discussed the riding weather this week, he asked me if I'd ever ridden an R1200GS to which I replied "Have you SEEN how tall I am?" Then he proceeded to tell me of a trip he and his wife and a cousin (who opted for the 2400cc Triumph Rocket III) took to ride in southern Florida. As he recounted renting the GS at Eagle Rider and riding to Key West, then back and over to Naples and Alligator Alley, I started to put two and two together and the light came on. He said he'd do it over again in a minute and the experience he had through Eagle Rider was top notch.

Did that too;

Last time I rode AA41 was in 1973 across that dark road. Yep, I was foolish enough to do that at night! Our headlights on bikes back then were not todays bikes, brakes either:(. My 1972 R75/5 almost got wiped out, me too, with more Gators in the road than I like to see ever! Those lumpy, large toothed critters like the roadways at night:(, so beware them dark spots in the road, just beyond your headlamps reach. ITS A GATOR crossing, large speedbumps, not friendly at all!!! They sure mess ya up.....I DID hit ones tail by accident of course, never intended, scared me to death.....No ABS then, or even wanting to stop, probably a real BAD idea...I laugh today thinking about that memory. Randy:thumb

I did it in the daylight . . . .

I drove my '72 R75/5 from St. Pete toward Key West in June of 1973. I was young and mortality was a distant concern. The alligators wait for the sun to drop so they can keep warm on the pavement. They were at the side of the road and I never really thought about a flat tire or hitting something slippery. I could have been in Deep Sneakers. Alligator Alley was a fun ride. It is a must see and was a taste of old Florida. I hope it still is.
A caveat: Once you hit the Overseas Highway obey the posted speed limit. Speeders are a very important revenue source.
Good Luck!
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Back