• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Liking the “show your Hondas! “
:clap
Need to take a look at that model line for sure!

You enjoy the local food?

OM

We’ve been booking it hard and eating gas station food, although had some great sushi a couple of times.

The bad news is that vodka is half as strong and costs twice as much.

Tomorrow is Bodo, then a ferry to the Lotfoten Peninsula, which is above the Arctic circle. Three days of rest in an Air BnB… and SEAFOOD!!!

The south to Gerainger and the twistiest road in the country,

Hey, guess where I am?

i-xvCWzPR-X4.jpg

What do those who own/ride a 500x think about it's weight, handling, performance?

I sat on one a few years ago, when I took it off the side stand to stand it up, I nearly dropped it to the other side expecting it to feel like my GT/RS/ or RT. Felt very light to me, but that's subjective at best.

I've been considering one for gravel trails in the mountains around here.

Thanks

What do those who own/ride a 500x think about it's weight, handling, performance?

I sat on one a few years ago, when I took it off the side stand to stand it up, I nearly dropped it to the other side expecting it to feel like my GT/RS/ or RT. Felt very light to me, but that's subjective at best.

I've been considering one for gravel trails in the mountains around here.

Thanks

My 2018 500X felt perfect out of the box, to the point that I hesitated upgrading to a Rally Raid traillie (the reason I purchased the X in the first place was to upgrade to RR). Shortly after purchasing the X, I added a Givi tall windshield, the stock setup felt even better. Adding some upgraded/quality components is recommended if planning on keeping for a longer period of time. YMMV.

That Rally Raid group has some cool accessories- https://www.rallyraidproducts.co.uk/

OM

Along with the the Rally Raid kit, there's a lot of additional extras. GPS, Barkbusters, Pivot Pegs, Oxford heated grips, some Eastern Beaver wiring, rear rack with a Harbor Freight pelican knockoff, and a few other bits and pieces. Here's a before and after. The before shot was a few miles from the dealership at the Southworth Ferry dock near Bremerton, WA.

CB500X_2018_Virgin.jpg

Rally_Raid_L2_Twempie_01.jpg

If it suits, post your writeup here?
If you need help, let me know.
OM

@ OM.

I found this on an old hard drive, and it's from a February 2021 story, when I was editor of our local club magazine. This is slightly different to what was submitted to ON, but close enough tho'... and another photo - it accompanied the words at the time of writing.

The Bike I Wish BMW Would Make

A few years ago, I decided to find a replacement for my recently-traded Nimitz-Class R1200GS trailie—I’d swapped that well-loved Camhead for a R1200RT road bike. So began my search for a smaller but well-regarded adventure stablemate for the luxury RT.

Thus, I made a rather hasty purchase of a 20-year-old design ‘brand new’ 2015 Suzuki DR-Z400. I did find this legendary machine to be very cool and capable, but soon realized the mythical beast was too primitive for my liking. So, after about a year of tickling the carburettor at every cold start, my DRZ was dispatched with ease on Craigslist, farkles included.

Although my DRZ affair was a bit of an expensive dalliance, that particular ownership did help narrow down what I wanted. Comfortable in the knowledge of there being no perfect bike, I picked a few important considerations: A liquid-cooled mill, 650cc or smaller, fuel injected, and strong subframe. Tubeless tires would be more than preferable.

Choices were eventually narrowed to a Honda CB500X or a BMW R310GS, with a planned Rally Raid upgrade.

Rally Raid is a small UK company that develops and engineers accessories for for Honda, Husqvarna, Yamaha, KTM, and the small BMW. Rally Raid also partners with TracTive Suspension and BARTubeless. It was during my research that I’d decided to visit CanWest in BC.

“But I’m a dyed-in-the-wool BMW guy” I reasoned, in a conversation with former Dakar racer and Rally Raid employee-advocate Jenny Morgan. This was 2018, at the Horizons Unlimited event for world travelers in Nakusp, British Columbia. My latest trip to this beautiful part of the world was a reasonable excuse to find out about Horizons Unlimited and the Rally Raid modified BMW R310GS.

“From what you say about what you’re looking for” she responded “Do consider the Honda”. A statement that gave me pause, even though Jenny had just completed the Trans America Trail on a Rally Raid upgraded BMW G310GS. She was closely involved with the research and development of Rally Raid upgrades and continues to be the CB500X’s leading protagonist on this side of The Pond. If anyone knew about Rally Raid upgrades, it was Jenny. You can easily find her many motorcycling exploits online.

My purchasing decision for a 70-mpg 2018 Honda CB500X wasn't as impulsive as my trip to the DRZ store, as I shopped around and ended up with a very reasonable OTD-price (aided by the nicely upgraded 2019 models being just around the corner), then added my usual favorite upgrades. PivotPegz, Barkbusters, and a Rally Raid bashplate (the best available for the CB500X), heated grips, to name a few. But it wasn't until the pandemic that I decided on the full-monty Rally Raid upgrade of wheels and suspension. There was going to be plenty time to graze knuckles on this new project.

The 2018 CB500X came with 17" cast wheels, while the Rally Raid Level Two upgrade comprises of spoked 19" front and 17" rear. I chose the optional BARTubeless spokes. The OEM adjustable forks held progressive springs with six-inch plastic spacers that were swapped for Rally Raid's linear springs running the whole length of the fork tubes. Fork boots were added, for form and function.

The rear shock was replaced with a longer travel TracTive unit with remote reservoir and high- and low-speed compression damping. I also decided to add the optional hydraulic preload adjuster for the rear shock. The bike sits higher after the upgrade, with the new suspension providing 170mm of travel—a little over 6.5 inches. A replacement sidestand is part of the upgrade kit.

Working alone had its challenges, but the toughest part was choosing to upgrade the steering head bearings; a recommended task while working on the front end. WSBMWR member Beecher Snipes offered to press the new bearings into place—after adding TKC80s into the equation.

There's an Adventure 500cc KTM coming our way soon, and I'm sure the interwebs will go gaga about how great it is... and it probably will be, and the money spent for upgrading my street Honda (including shipping charges from the UK) could come close to the price of a used Triumph Tiger. Even so, building my own Adventure bike around a modern day UJM does give me a certain sense of accomplishment.

I honestly wish BMW would build something similar to the Rally Raid CB500X and keep it around for a while. Doing so may even expand their customer base.

YMMV.

_8130138_wynoochie_trail_2.jpg

You’re saying the same thing I have for years. I love my X. This is a huge hole in the BMW product line.

Honda, to their credit, has continuously upgraded the CB500X. Compared to 2017 it now sports 19" front wheel, upside down forks, dual discs, revised instruments, and some rubber mounting to make the smooth motor even smoother. Ian does a nice review on the 2022 model and its improvements over prior year CB500x'x.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wqglJ-JlE

Back