• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So You Served!!

Served U.S. Coast Guard 1982 -1987........U.S. Peace Corps Morocco 1988-1989.....

I spent some time in Morocco a lot more recently, Agadir and points south mostly, but did get a couple road trips in to Rabat and up to the straights. also inland to Marrakech which was pretty cool, I'd love to go back! wonder how much has changed since 89?

Did 8 years Marine Corps Active Duty from 07 to 15, good times, bad times, still adjusting back to civilian life, probably will be forever! Now in Army Reserve, guess I'm a slow learner...

No, did not, mostly due to a high number on a ping pong ball.

But I do honor veterans by participating in Patriot Guard events.

United States Coast Guard 79-83
18 months sea duty on Cutter Acushnet which included Cuban boat lift
18 months Search and Rescue Station Oak Island
Electronics Technician 2nd Class
Officer of the Day

44876fbb87041ec4996b686407f0d97b.jpg

Sent from my iPad - Kevin

It took me a minute to catch the ping pong ball reference too. My first thought was Forrest Gump, but that didn't make sense. Thanks for doing the patriot guard gig. I recently was able to pull a few together for a friend of mine and fellow rider's death. Patriot Guard Riders do good work. They have showed up at about a dozen of my friends funerals.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

United States Coast Guard 79-83
18 months sea duty on Cutter Acushnet which included Cuban boat lift
18 months Search and Rescue Station Oak Island
Electronics Technician 2nd Class
Officer of the Day

Sent from my iPad - Kevin

looks like we have a few coastie riders.

US Coast Guard 39yrs. 1977-present.

35 years and still going
Army aviation
Now a Major General

If we've crossed paths before and know me you can see my passion as an IP isn't restricted to nomex activities. Welcome to the club and the forum sir. And I appreciate you putting that out there that I may render courtesy/respect where necessary.
Reece Mullins
CW4 retired
DAC SP @ Rucker

U.S. Army Ordnance Corp 1969-1975 (RA)

Stationed in Istanbul Turkey, (Cakmalki) TUSLOG Det 67/168, 1970-72.

Had a ball over there, and supported other Detachments all over the country. We got over to Greece a couple of times for training too, not bad duty. Even got to go play with the Air Force guys over at Karamursel (KCDI) and dance around the elephant cage while their electronics shop did calibrations on our test gear once a month. The NCO Club there was really uptown too.

After the RIF after the Vietnam wind-down, I got transferred to the 245th Combat Engineer Bn (Reserve) in Baton Rouge for the rest of my enlistment.

I got to shoot more ammo and blow up more stuff than anyone should be allowed. What a way to work off frustrations :)

Fun thing that happened:

On the day I went to the in-processing center in New Orleans, I and a group of about 100 others were in a large room. At some point a very large Marine DI (complete with hat) walked into the room and called my name loudly. I responded and was told to "get off my deck" and leave the room. As I did so in double time, he then loudly announced to the rest of the room " Congratulations gentlemen you are now going to become Marines" . At least one guy passed out dead faint. It seems that at that point in the draft system the center was alternating days with draftees to the Marine Corps. and Army. The day I was there it was Marine day and happened to be the only Army guy being processed, plus I had enlisted RA so got shoved into a much shorter processing line.

It was an honor to serve with all the troops I met. Even the Navy ducks that caused the Turks to declare martial law every time the fleet came to town. :thumb

Last edited:
USAF and Joint Service/NATO career

USAF, Cold War, SAC, B-52, FB111, NATO, Retired
Riding the motorcycle (R1100RT) is often more sensory involved than flying was - the seasonal smells, the changes in air temperature, the planning of each curve, the feel of each riding surface. Like most machine centric activities, both riding and flying require our concentration and constant attention to avoid getting "behind" the machine which, as we all know, can lead to disaster. The AF was career 1.0; now on 3.0. Safe riding!

12 years active duty, USAF. 1974-1986
14 years with the Washington Air National Guard. 1987-2002

Started as an Avionics Maintenance Officer. Transferred to a general Aircraft Maintenance Officer. Finished active duty as the Maintenance Supervisor for the 416th Bomb Wing Field Maintenance Squadron and as the Maintenance Control Officer. Finished in the WANG as the Deputy Commander for Logistics.

Chris

35 years and still going
Army aviation
Now a Major General

I'm a 31 year retired Army Chaplain. I was fortunate enough to be assigned to two Army aviation units in my career. My first assignment was at Fort Riley in the early 80's and my second was at Fliegerhorst in Hanau, Germany in the mid 80's. Those were two of my favorite assignments. To this day I would rather fly in helicopters than airplanes.

US Army

67T then reclassed to 15T same MOS UH-60 Crew chief was stationed in Giebelstadt Germany from March 1998 till December 2003

12 AVN BDE: 5-158th Delta Co Catfish, Raptors AVN, Bravo Catfish 3-158th AVN

67T then reclassed to 15T same MOS UH-60 Crew chief was stationed in Giebelstadt Germany from March 1998 till December 2003

Bosnia rotation 97-98 58D pilot at Tuzla. If you came down for SFOR support at that time we may have flown on the same missions. If you remember the 58D that hit wires over srebrenicia January 20th 1998, I was on that mission, coordinated the rescue effort for the surviving aircrew members.

Thanks for your service Hester! It would be great to know what you had been doing, and where you'd done it, so that we could appreciate the sacrifices you made for us. For us former USAF, USN, USMC etc. folks it would be a fine thing to know about your exploits. Maybe you/Reece could provide some translation?

Thanks for your service Hester! It would be great to know what you had been doing, and where you'd done it, so that we could appreciate the sacrifices you made for us. For us former USAF, USN, USMC etc. folks it would be a fine thing to know about your exploits. Maybe you/Reece could provide some translation?

Actually there are some of us that don't really stand up and BRAG AND GO ON AN ON about what we have done. It isn't that we don't want to stand up and say that we were there; but the "BLOWING OF ONE'S HORN" gets old and it's kinda like having to listen to the old guy down at the end of the bar go on and on about the BS of just how wonderful and how great they are..........Just my thoughts; but there have been a world of folks come on this thread and perhaps that is an indicator of what they want to share......NOT SELF GLORIFICATION AGAIN AND AGAIN.........God bless these United States........Dennis

Back