• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So...what are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

Still doing things around the house (stuff that never ends) but am getting in some very nice day rides. Getting back into photography which I've ignored for the most of the last five years. It's something I can do on a walk, or on a bike ride, and is best done at social distances. :D

Just finished some minor maintenance on my '83 R80ST. Replaced fork gaiters and fork oil, trans neutral switch, driveshaft boot, trans and driveshaft oil, coil and plug wires. Tomorrow, a socially distant test ride (I hate the term "socially distant". We don't need to be socially distant, we need to be physically distant).
Stay well, keep your head down and ride easy.

IMG_8023.jpg

Just finished some minor maintenance on my '83 R80ST. Replaced fork gaiters and fork oil, trans neutral switch, driveshaft boot, trans and driveshaft oil, coil and plug wires. Tomorrow, a socially distant test ride (I hate the term "socially distant". We don't need to be socially distant, we need to be physically distant).

View attachment 79932

Yes "physically distant"

I'm finally back at work now in Tumbler Ridge, BC. Pretty country, we went for a pretty big hike today and there are many close to here. Not a bad way to be in our current world.

Also blessed to be where we are, in a county of 5,459,200 acres, with a population of 16,500, or about one person for every 330 acres. Yep, physically distanced.

View attachment 79932

My '84 was red

View attachment 79932

Nice looking bike! And I agree about the term physically distant. :thumb

What to do

Ankle replacement surgery doing a great job keeping me at home the first week has done a great job keeping me in the bedroom.

1C56F1E8-72E8-4B1F-A732-6C3A82BA8755.jpeg

Last fall when I was recovering from part one I had the Rally in Great Falls to plan for what now with next MOA Rally in Great Falls plans already made, really great plans, well thought out, I wouldn’t change a thing :hungover
The RA rally does not require a lot of planning, ride one day camp than make a one day ride to Waynesville, NC into a 2 day ride so I don’t have to get close to Nashville and planning done.
Thanks to links posted previously I can watch scenes from Sturgis Rally enjoying views of overweight people and motorcycles (1/2 of those views I can see in a mirror).

From COVID central of ND.
I work for a HVAC wholesaler. Early on my boss sent me home for a week, with pay, so I wasn't bitching. Back to work the next week. I went from calling on customers, to being a well paid delivery driver. I can't even remember when this all started, but I load up my work pickup every evening for the next day and deliver parts, equipment, tools and whatever customers order. I have a company provided 2019 Ford Lariat that I got in October, 10 months ago and it turned over 40,000 miles last week. Since the outbreak I have been running 1,400 miles a week, fifty hour weeks. Drop the order on the customer's doorstep and roll to the next. Avoid any contact, but it is about impossible, some guys want to visit a bit. I keep my distance, but nobody wears masks.

My wife works for a bunch of eye doctors. She was cut way back in hours for two weeks, then back on full time. Masks are required and hand sanitizer flows freely.

With restaurants closed and not much desire to be in the public we have been doing a bunch of remodeling projects. Replaced three basement windows, still need to trim them out, but we have a hardwood floor guy coming in August to redo the floors on the main level, two bedrooms, hallway and living room. So that means pretty much moving out! Luckily we have a 3/4 bath in our finished basement and are in the process on moving stuff we need, clothing and so on to the basement. Everything else is headed for the garage, then in a couple weeks we can haul it all back again. It will be a mess for some time as I am replacing all the doors and trim after the floors are done. I am ripping out the doors and trim now, to be put back after the floors are done.

Life has not really changed much for us, just home more, less miles on the motorcycles.

From COVID central of ND.
I work for a HVAC wholesaler. Early on my boss sent me home for a week, with pay, so I wasn't bitching. Back to work the next week. I went from calling on customers, to being a well paid delivery driver. I can't even remember when this all started, but I load up my work pickup every evening for the next day and deliver parts, equipment, tools and whatever customers order. I have a company provided 2019 Ford Lariat that I got in October, 10 months ago and it turned over 40,000 miles last week. Since the outbreak I have been running 1,400 miles a week, fifty hour weeks. Drop the order on the customer's doorstep and roll to the next. Avoid any contact, but it is about impossible, some guys want to visit a bit. I keep my distance, but nobody wears masks.

My wife works for a bunch of eye doctors. She was cut way back in hours for two weeks, then back on full time. Masks are required and hand sanitizer flows freely.

With restaurants closed and not much desire to be in the public we have been doing a bunch of remodeling projects. Replaced three basement windows, still need to trim them out, but we have a hardwood floor guy coming in August to redo the floors on the main level, two bedrooms, hallway and living room. So that means pretty much moving out! Luckily we have a 3/4 bath in our finished basement and are in the process on moving stuff we need, clothing and so on to the basement. Everything else is headed for the garage, then in a couple weeks we can haul it all back again. It will be a mess for some time as I am replacing all the doors and trim after the floors are done. I am ripping out the doors and trim now, to be put back after the floors are done.

Life has not really changed much for us, just home more, less miles on the motorcycles.

I would love to find that magical combination that would keep my wife happy and vacate the first floor to refinish the floors....

Last edited:
Now building a cedar deck handrail of my own design. Staining and sealing wood before assembling.
:burnout Got to get to work now.

This thread has opened up a tremendous opportunity for members to share their talents. Eugene can come to our place and do some fine wood work and Skibum can update our floors, and I will..... well we'll think of something.

I am not a finish carpenter. I did in march, april and may built a 4' x 12' extension on to my shop. Also reroof the whole shed.
Home improvements. Kevin, I'am sure you can.

And I see the Park has partially re-opened. :scratch

Well you can now drive from Study Butte to Panther Junction and from there to Marathon. You can also drive to the Chisos Basin. You cannot take the Ross Maxwell drive to Castolon or Santa Elena Canyon. You can't drive east of Panther Junction to Rio Grande Village, and all unpaved roads are closed. You can hike from any of the pulloffs from the paved roads which are open. No overnight use is allowed, but I assume you can still drive from Study Butte to Marathon or the reverse at night.

I am not a finish carpenter. I did in march, april and may built a 4' x 12' extension on to my shop. Also reroof the whole shed.
Home improvements. Kevin, I'am sure you can.

I remodeled the interior of our shop this spring to increase the heated space by 400 sq/ft. That area is now for tire changing and a lift for the sidecars. This job taught me that I don’t want to do such things again.

My construction skill set is suitable for the shop but not the house.

40 years in the construction trade does something to you. Roofing and sheet rocking I don't like.:whistle 12' X 16' shop now.
Sorry BMW not for the shop.

Webcams.....every watch them?

Ever watch the webcams? Meercats aside, there are cameras everywhere...... for the good or the bad of it :eek

Here is Boston Harbor. I wasn't sure I could embed the video feed, and it may not hold. Pretty cool anyway.

Resolution improves as time progresses.

More from the Boston area here- https://masswebcams.com/boston-webcams/

Have any you like? Meercats can be fun as well :cat

Something to do while the world is jammed up......and we enter the dark (daylight savings) period.

OM

computer rebuilt

My 7+ year old desktop computer went south on me, so I researched what's current and built a new one. I did salvage the case and optical drive, Noctua fans (super quiet), keyboard, mouse, monitor.

With great trepidation I hooked everything up and hit the button this afternoon. I was shocked to see it boot up from the Windows 10 install USB flash drive. I didn't even have to get into the BIOS. It's such a relief when new build works. I spent a week researching what's current in computers before ordering parts.

Harry

Back