• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So...what are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

We're lucky enough to live in an area so rural that even under normal circumstances it's unusual to see another person on the backroads. So weather and chores permitting, we ride.

Peering2.jpg

What am I doing? I'm riding! The province where I live has approved motorcycle riding as a good way to socially distance during this time of trauma. And for those interested, British Columbia had 8 new cases yesterday and 8 the day before so the motorcycle riding thing must be working. :)

Sounds of silence...uh Sirens...by Simon and Simon...or is it Garfunkel and Garfunkel??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wZsfy8AD_S0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today I went and bought my 6th K1200LT from a dealer 250 miles away. It needs a far amount of work and has 17,000 miles on it. I now have enough work to keep me busy getting bikes ready to sell for the rest of the year. I'm lucky that I'm working full time & have enough work at my home shop to stay busy for the rest of the year.

Today I went and bought my 6th K1200LT from a dealer 250 miles away. It needs a far amount of work and has 17,000 miles on it. I now have enough work to keep me busy getting bikes ready to sell for the rest of the year. I'm lucky that I'm working full time & have enough work at my home shop to stay busy for the rest of the year.

Keepin' the Flying Bricks flying! Very cool!

Wahl clippers....

There was begging and pleading involved, but my wife finally consented to cut my hair last Sunday. The Wahl clipper set had been delivered several weeks before, and she had avoided it like the COVID-19 plague, itself. In any case, after watching several youtube video's and studying the fold-out direction sheet included with the clippers, she jumped in. Kinda timid at first, she was soon cutting big swaths of scalp. Perhaps not perfect, it was better than a 9 on a scale of 10.

So, as long as I keep her happy, I doubt I'll ever have to visit the barber, again...........

Mowed and edged the lawn today. FedEx guy showed up halfway through with two boxes.
Tomorrow's project is to replace the Thermostat in my wife's MINI a three-hour and at least three skinned knuckle job as it is well buried.

Mini

Mowed and edged the lawn today. FedEx guy showed up halfway through with two boxes.
Tomorrow's project is to replace the Thermostat in my wife's MINI a three-hour and at least three skinned knuckle job as it is well buried.

We had a Mini Cooper Clubman S for 70 or 80 thousand miles during that time I did look under the hood a few times, thinking back you may be underestimating time needed and knuckles damaged ;):banghead

There's not even a oil dip-stick or sight glass in the new Clubman S.
Simply a cockpit initiated systems check that spells out the various state of condition.
Oil level, last service, temperature, % of life remaining.

During late March in the midst of this virus induced change of lifestyle projected for the summer, I decided to quarantine in something with air conditioning.
The twinturbo-boxer four Clubman S hit the mark. Very enjoyable and brings back the feel of my days in various MGB's and the Sunbeam Alpine. This cart will git!

Loving the BMW technology and the enhanced level of refinement in this performance package.

I haven't found the battery yet, so the thermostat will never appear before my eyes!

We had a Mini Cooper Clubman S for 70 or 80 thousand miles during that time I did look under the hood a few times, thinking back you may be underestimating time needed and knuckles damaged ;):banghead

SWMBO's Mini started showing a Check Engine Lite the other day. A little Electronic Diagnosis revealed that one of the two Thermostat sensors was "open".

Sensor not replaceable. Local shop wanted $600 to change the Freaking thing.

Thermostat ordered - $79, two gallons of BMW/Mini coolant, I didn't realize it was full strength not pre-mix so I have an extra $50, pair of fancy NAPA Hose Clamp Cable Operated Pliers to remove the six spring-style hose clamps on the 5 hoses that run into the Thermostat $56.

Four hours - job complete, 4 skinned knuckles, and one gash on my right arm.

I couldn't have done the job without the fancy cable operated hose clamp pliers.

The BMW/Mini coolant will work in my R1200 FS Adv when/if needed

There are many options for cut resistant gloves at different levels of protection and they are rated. One company I was working for went to cut proof 4 gloves for everyone and they were a pain in the ass for rope work. I would suggest almost any level of glove will help with help with busted knuckles but personally I don't find I can do any wrenching with gloves on past a pair of nitrile as I just can't get the dexterity. Good luck.

There are many options for cut resistant gloves at different levels of protection and they are rated. One company I was working for went to cut proof 4 gloves for everyone and they were a pain in the ass for rope work. I would suggest almost any level of glove will help with help with busted knuckles but personally I don't find I can do any wrenching with gloves on past a pair of nitrile as I just can't get the dexterity. Good luck.

The ones I posted have nitrile coated palms, but the backside of the gloves can breathe. A compromise that works for me.............but, I don't make a living dangling on a rope.

I work with mechanics from Caterpillar pretty regular. They have mandated Use of Ansell HyFlex 518 gloves and hand injuries went to almost zero. I saw them, liked them and bought a dozen.
They are the best compromise between leather palm work gloves and nitrile that I have seen/used.
Really good at dexterity and protection.
OM

I hate almost all of the rubber coated gloves out there, for basic rope work my favourites are just plain old leather ropers.

Late to the dance on this thread, but here goes.

My wife and I have both been working from home since the 2nd week in March. We are very fortunate, and truly blessed, to have our full time jobs and paychecks in place during this time.

Our kids are grown and live in their own homes, which leaves us a fair amount of space with extra rooms in our current home. She has her office in a spare bedroom in the upper level, I have my office/desk in the lower level family room. After morning coffee, we go our separate ways around 7:30 a.m. We meet again at lunch, then finish our days in our respective offices. Honestly we're both putting in more hours at our jobs than we ever did when we went to the office.

The main difference for us is going out to eat. With just the 2 of us, we would go out probably twice a week. Instead, we've been doing a lot more cooking. We miss going out. Even with restaurants now being open at 50% capacity indoors, we have yet to go out.

My motorcycle riding has been darn near non-existent. We had a weird spring, so I wasn't anxious to get the bikes back out on the road. I suspect I'll ride one up to our lake cabin over the 4th and leave it up there as I would likely ride more there than around town.

So, honestly, our time is pretty occupied without needing many extra activities to fill in. Oh, I guess we did clean multiple closets that resulted in both extra garbage for a few weeks as well as some large donations to charities.

Back