• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So...what are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

We are now hunkered down more than before. We live in a very rural, but tourist oriented county. It is the home of Big Bend National Park. For a long time we had no confirmed cases. Then we had one. And we stayed at 1 case in a county larger than Connecticut with a population of 9,000 people. Then we had 4, then 7, then 12, 22, 30, and 40 yesterday. And in her reporting to the County this morning our county health officer disclosed we are suddenly over 50 cases. This all in a 10 day period. It isn't the actual number of cases that are significant: it is the trend line. One case to fifty plus in ten days.

Throughout April and May everything was stable with zero or one case. Then came June and the Governor chose to open up the state from many restrictions. The tourists, escaping Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and other hot spots brought the virus and now we have community spread. Very few have been wearing masks. It is an affront to their manhood or womanhood as the case may be. :scratch I hear but can't confirm that we now in the past two or three days have many more people wearing masks and trying to physically distance but I haven't been anywhere to notice. Our house is 53 miles out of town. :)

So we go for a ride every now and then when the weather cooperates and isn't in the triple digits. The new mini-split AC system keeps the place cool even when it is 107. We have a 2 month supply of extra food and go to town to get groceries once every 3 weeks. The gas in the car is getting stale.

Added: Infections in Texas are spiking. And, our local rate of infection per capita is twice that of the state as a whole, and higher than that of the US as a whole. We won't be a blip on the national radar, but from a standpoint of personal risk we are way up there.

Last edited:
Similar goings on here Paul. In Idaho, statewide numbers are going up significantly in daily confirmations though fatalities have remained somewhat stable. No changes locally since April but I'm sure it's just a matter of time with the influx of out of area tourists and disregard for CDC recommendations. Also some businesses are doing a good job with masks, others not so much. Seems like a majority of folks are not wearing them.

Noticing during this crisis how some of our leaders are rising to the challenge, and some, not so much. Certainly separates the wheat from the chaff.

As with you, we make our trip to the city, Lewiston/Clarkston, (120 miles one way), every six months or so for groceries. We went this past Wednesday, first time since the pandemic declaration. Costco, Wally World, North 40, a farm and ranch store, lunch to go and stopped at Winchester State Park for a picnic lunch by the lake.

For the most part, we're also keeping our heads down and doing some local rides, picking the good days. Just need to be patient and give the smart folks time to figure this out.

Taking care, staying well, staying home, saving lives.
Ride easy,
gp

In a bit of leadership failure, the local high school track teams are out running shoulder to shoulder- no masks.
OM

Washington state as of tomorrow 6/25/2020, All persons over 5 MUST wear masks. Indoors or outside within 6' of any one.
I thought this should have been done long ago. I want to live to ride again! Stay safe.

In a bit of leadership failure, the local high school track teams are out running shoulder to shoulder- no masks.
OM

Trust me, there's a group of parents that are adamant it's safe for little league, HS sports, and daycare. At the moment, trying to stop them is pointless.

Trust me, there's a group of parents that are adamant it's safe for little league, HS sports, and daycare. At the moment, trying to stop them is pointless.

I live across the street from 2 ball fields. As of 2 weeks ago, there are multiple teams practicing, getting ready for some type of shortened season. These are girls fastpitch softball teams. I have not seen similar action on the baseball field. Yes, I truly believe this is driven by parents who don't want to see their kids miss out on a summer activity.

We're still fairly well hunkered down as well. We do travel to our lake cabin, but really are isolated there as well. We don't mix with the local population, we stay at the lake. It's quiet, it's isolated, it's nice to get away. I figure we're not wrong for doing this because we aren't interacting with anyone different.

Similar goings on here Paul. In Idaho, statewide numbers are going up significantly in daily confirmations though fatalities have remained somewhat stable. No changes locally since April but I'm sure it's just a matter of time with the influx of out of area tourists and disregard for CDC recommendations. Also some businesses are doing a good job with masks, others not so much. Seems like a majority of folks are not wearing them.

Noticing during this crisis how some of our leaders are rising to the challenge, and some, not so much. Certainly separates the wheat from the chaff.

As with you, we make our trip to the city, Lewiston/Clarkston, (120 miles one way), every six months or so for groceries. We went this past Wednesday, first time since the pandemic declaration. Costco, Wally World, North 40, a farm and ranch store, lunch to go and stopped at Winchester State Park for a picnic lunch by the lake.

For the most part, we're also keeping our heads down and doing some local rides, picking the good days. Just need to be patient and give the smart folks time to figure this out.

Taking care, staying well, staying home, saving lives.
Ride easy,
gp

You are in better shape than we are in Boise and Ada County. This is the new hot spot in Idaho and there is little wonder when you are out and see how many businesses don't have their staff wearing masks. I was in one of the major independent bakeries a week ago and none of the staff was masked. Far less than half of general public are wearing masks. There was a major cluster of infections from some under 35 friends all hitting some of the bars ten days ago and now the County and city have been rolled back to Stage 3 and the bars are closed for the most part (unless they sell food).

I hate to say it, but I think this resurgence was inevitable. Some people never took this seriously enough, and others were tired of the restrictions and couldn't help but go back to the old normal. So far in Idaho we've not had any additional deaths, but that just may be the time lag from infection, through unsuccessful treatment.

Getting in my social distancing by riding.

Greg,
I really think they misnamed this social distancing. It should be physical distancing. No reason to be socially distant. That's what we have phones, email and social media for. Just shared a cold one :drink, with an old friend from Grangeville, passing through on his R1200GSW, completing a ride around Hell's Canyon. Good to talk bikes and rides.
gp

Greg,
I really think they misnamed this social distancing. It should be physical distancing. No reason to be socially distant. That's what we have phones, email and social media for. Just shared a cold one :drink, with an old friend from Grangeville, passing through on his R1200GSW, completing a ride around Hell's Canyon. Good to talk bikes and rides.
gp

I agree. In fact, by phone/forum/email/text/Messenger/carrier pigeon I've been keeping in excellent communications with my friends over the last few months. I know others are selectively, carefully, socializing. An MOA member from Chicago called me Monday looking for a place in Boise to park his truck and bike trailer for six days while he and some good friends from eastern Oregon ride Hells Canyon, eastern Oregon, and maybe Hwy. 95 up your way. I found him secure storage for a week for $20 and he will be in here tomorrow morning, and is jacked to ride with his friends. This is important for you mind, body, and soul.

Sound advice.
So Greg,
Let's have a cold one together at 5 o'clock pacific time. You're buying and I'll disinfect my cans of beer!

What are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

Working. The mail doesn't stop, neither do I.

I go ride when I can. But with all the overtime from the surge in online
shopping, it isn't as much riding as I'd like. :mad

I did squeeze in some wrenching time, and got the XR all caught up on
maintenance. ;)

Built an office space for my daughter who has too work from home.
Helping family members is time well spent. ;)

Back