• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SLA and AGM battery - same thing?

zoridog

I was about to purchase a Panasonic battery and wanted an AGM for my K100. One vendor had the LC-X1228P and described it as a Sealed Lead Acid Battery. Another vendor has the same model # Panasonic described as AGM.

Are they the same battery?

I was about to purchase a Panasonic battery and wanted an AGM for my K100. One vendor had the LC-X1228P and described it as a Sealed Lead Acid Battery. Another vendor has the same model # Panasonic described as AGM.

It has lead in it and acid and is sealed. AGM means absorbed glass mat which is just how it is constructed. They are the same. AGM is a good choice for the K100 but I would get the 12v20P which is the smaller one. The K100 has a high speed starter motor and the 20 amp hour is just fine. The bike also has a indentation on the battery tray for the 20 amp. The 20 ah is also somewhat less tall than the larger battery and fits better under the L Jetronic computer as I remember.

They are the same.

That's incorrect. A SLA Battery has LIQUID electrolyte like any older battery. It's just sealed and maintenance free. An AGM battery has the electrolyte absorbed in fiberglass matte, hence "Absorbed Glass Matte" battery.

As for the same battery, from the same manufacturer, with both designations. That's simply misinformation.
I see Jack's point. In a way they are the same, but my point is that while it may be appropriate to say all AGM batteries are sealed lead acid, all sealed lead acid batteries are definitely NOT AGM batteries. (nor are they "Gel" batteries)

That's incorrect. A SLA Battery has LIQUID electrolyte like any older battery. It's just sealed and maintenance free. An AGM battery has the electrolyte absorbed in fiberglass matte, hence "Absorbed Glass Matte" battery.

Ok. Then I mean to say that the two dealers that are selling the same part # panasonic battery are talking about the same what we call the AGM battery. And, the one dealer describing it as a sealed lead acid battery is incompletely describing that same battery.

But, I would call your "SLA" description a "maintenance free battery" anyway. But that would be incomplete if we didn't describe it as a wet, it might leak if you turn it over, battery. So that would be an SLA MFB IMLIYTIOB.

Here is a link for example where the manufacturer doesn't mention the mat until you look at the xray view of their battery...

http://www.batteryweb.com/manuals/techman.pdf

and another...

http://www.batteryweb.com/panasonic.cfm

and still another, Yuasa, writes this about SLA...

"AKA: AKA: SLA - Sealed Lead Acid, VRLA - Valve Regulated, Gas Recombination or as a Starved Electrolyte Battery. AGM technology is the same as GEL but uses Absorbent Glass Mat to trap and recycle gases & is 1st Cousin to the GEL batteries uses Gelatin to trap and recycle gas."

and TOYO...who also uses the SLA acronym blatantly...

"Toyo AGM* - Sealed Lead Acid Batteries *AKA: SLA - Sealed Lead Acid, VRLA - Valve Regulated, Gas Recombination or Starved Electrolyte Battery. AGM technology is the same as Gel but uses Absorbent Glass Mat to trap and recycle gases & is 1st Cousin to the GEL which uses Gelatin to trap and recycle gas. "

So there you have it. The Panasonic battery is about as AGM as they get even though it is sometimes described as a sealed lead acid battery.

I guess...

But, I would call your "SLA" description a "maintenance free battery" anyway. But that would be incomplete if we didn't describe it as a wet, it might leak if you turn it over, battery. So that would be an SLA MFB IMLIYTIOB.
I guess...

Well, that's not really true, either. My Vun comes with a "SLA" liquid maintenance free battery, that lays on it's side. :brow

(I take them out and replace them with Deka PowerSports AGMs! :D )

Last edited:
same thing

Phew! And just when I thought I had lead acid, absorbed glass mat, and gel, all figured out.:doh

Rinty

Phew! And just when I thought I had lead acid, absorbed glass mat, and gel, all figured out.:doh

Rinty

You don't know that half of it. Selling batteries can eat your brain. It just took me three tries to get the right battery for a friend's Tiger. In the end, the manufacturers application book was just plain WRONG.

The good news? The third time IS the charm.:D

Panasonic LC-X1228P

I have the Panasonic LC-X1228P in my K100RS. It is three years old and going strong. It is a great battery. I would not recommend the 20aH version. I use the regular Battery Tender Plus to charge it once in a while. It is less than what came with the bike.

Last edited:
Back