• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Side Stand (replacement) for 1995 R100R "Classic"

I spoke with Robt. Van Farowe today. He confirmed what I feared: he has never made a side stand for an R100R. Heck of a nice guy though, if our conversation is any reflection of the man's personality.

It took me awhile to find the proper side stand for my mono shock R100RT (have Brown's on all of my twin shocks).

Try this as after 15K on my bike this really fit the bill.

Farley Side Stand, 616-896-8469, Robert VanFarowe..These people are GREAT...They will probably send you the stand first and if you like it you send them the money...atleast that is what they did with me...unheard of and a quality stand.:dance

2nd that!!!

‘93 r100r

I recently purchased a ‘93 R100R. Got some older models of airheads, decided I needed a newer model; requirements were 1000cc and tubeless tires. Bought a ‘93 R100R.
B9841CAF-0F78-4E6C-85E7-1FFC52D28404.jpeg
Found out about the side stand issues.

The issue is I can’t reach the side stand to safely deploy it. Wow, I’m 6’2” with a 34” and I’m to short to get off this bike safely.:scratch

I'm roughly the same size as you and have the same fear: both the bike and I will end up on the ground. To compound my concern, I have arthritic knees. I imagined I would be able to extend my legs over the tip over bars periodically as I ride, thereby stopping the pain I feel from sitting with my knees bent. Since the side stand is part of the tip over bars, they are both a help and a problem.

Went back and looked a little closer at the problem. The spring loaded foot peg was the clue. I never had a foot peg like that under me. Used the heel of the boot to pull the foot peg up, that gave the toe of the boot access to the tang at the bottom of the foot peg foot. Used my toe and extended the side stand to full extension which now was on the ground. The tang on the center stand was kinda in the way. Before I did anything with the foot peg or side stand I pushed it to the ground outa the way. Practiced it a few times. I think this will work for me. At the end I kicked the center stand back up to full retract. Ok, I got this, I think.

BD265015-7DB2-4606-ACBB-D8B1771971EF.jpeg
Yep, due to me having long legs; I can do this. If the center stand tang is in the way. Push the center gently to the ground and outa the way. At the end of the procedure just gently kick the center stand back in to full retract.

View attachment 85649
Yep, due to me having long legs; I can do this. If the center stand tang is in the way. Push the center gently to the ground and outa the way. At the end of the procedure just gently kick the center stand back in to full retract.

Back in the 1970s there were European BMW videos showing riders coming to a stop, stepping off the motorcycle while holding the handlebars, and then deploying the side stand while standing beside the motorcycle. It is my belief that this is what the designers intended when they equipped motorcycles with these wretched side stands.

Last edited:
I had a friend back in the ‘70’s and earlier ‘80’s who besides being and incredible BMW and NSU mechanic, was a very good rider. He would come to a stop using the front brake, while lowering the center stand and while still on the bike, rocked it back onto the centerstand and then step off. The dealer we worked for at the time, an old German roadracer, said a German would never use a sidestand.

That’s great. I just want to safely get on and off the motorcycle. I’m no stunt rider, showboat, or high performance racer. I do know some of those people.:brow

I had a R100GS with the same side stand. I am 5' 10".

When I stopped, I still continued to keep the front brake pulled. I deployed the side stand as far as I could and rested the bike on the partially deployed side stand. With the front bake pulled, it is a stable position. Next I pulled the clutch and while still keeping the weight on the side stand, I pushed the bike backwards with my left foot until the side stand was completely deployed.

It works, with some experience, even on a slippery surface. I learned not do this when the bike was pointed downwards at a sloped surface.

Or, another option: I met a R100GS owner who weld a pin onto the side stand about one third up from the bottom of the stand.

We had a friend who had long arms and he would stop, reach down, and deploy the sidestand. I put a Brown stand on every Airhead we ever owned including an R80ST it wasn't supposed to fit. I had to use an extra muffler clamp but it worked.

Last edited:
I remember a guy at rallies; Trail of Tears and Falling Leaf come to mind. I think he road a K75. He would ride in loaded. He put both feet on the ground, straddling the bike, put the center stand down and snatch the bike up on the center stand; then step off the bike. Wow. He was really tall.:brow

Back to the side stand issue. I’ve learned how to fiddle the side stand down. Sooner or later under less than ideal conditions, I can see me dropping the bike. Time to get Leo to weld a tang on the stand so I can get it down safely. When I get it done, I’ll take some pics and post’em.

Back