• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Side cover repair help needed

eastbay

The previous owner tried to repair the lower side cover pin which came unglued when I had to remove the side cover . the metal he used is a little too snug in the rubber Gromit too. has anyone come up with a better more permanent repair
7E6B4EA5-CFE7-4244-B987-0FA754F88C19.jpeg

I have had good luck using super glue with baking soda added as a catalyst/filler in repairing similar problems on plastic panels and attachment points.

Check out this video for an example - it is focused on wood but the concepts and practices apply to plastic as well.

You will need to remove the previous repair residue before you start.

I've never tried it on the sidecovers, but I know that JB Weld sticks very well to the painted Tupperware[SUP]®[/SUP] pieces. It would also give you more time to install the cover so the (new) pin aligns to the grommeted hole.

I've never tried it on the sidecovers, but I know that JB Weld sticks very well to the painted Tupperware[SUP]®[/SUP] pieces. It would also give you more time to install the cover so the (new) pin aligns to the grommeted hole.
thanks it looks like the previous owner used epoxy witch stuck well to the plastic but not to the metal .

The metal he used is a little too snug in the rubber Gromit too. has anyone come up with a better more permanent repair

I used a bolt with a nylok nut, plus two additional flat nuts (sorry I don't recall the size). The nylok nut was ground down until it fit into the rubber grommet easily. The head of the bolt was cut off, and the two flat nuts were placed on top and bottom of the remaining plastic from the original pin. JB Weld was applied on the top and bottom nuts to lock them in place and add rigidity to the repair. It's been off and on many times and it's been there about three years.

Capture.JPG

I used a bolt with a nylok nut, plus two additional flat nuts (sorry I don't recall the size). The nylok nut was ground down until it fit into the rubber grommet easily. The head of the bolt was cut off, and the two flat nuts were placed on top and bottom of the remaining plastic from the original pin. JB Weld was applied on the top and bottom nuts to lock them in place and add rigidity to the repair. It's been off and on many times and it's been there about three years.

View attachment 88848
Thanks, I saw similar repair on another site but my whole piece that the pin was on is gone so I have nothing to drill through to help stabilize it the previous owner just Apoxsee the head of the bolt right to the plastic the Apoxsee held the plastic but not the bolt head.

Thanks, I saw similar repair on another site but my whole piece that the pin was on is gone so I have nothing to drill through to help stabilize it the previous owner just Apoxsee the head of the bolt right to the plastic the Apoxsee held the plastic but not the bolt head.

Even if that's the case, I would either build up that area with JB Weld and then drill a hole, or place the new pin in position and build the area around it. JB Weld also makes a two part plastic epoxy. You should find it in the auto body repair section of your favorite box store.

Back