• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

short term memory or brain fart?

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Have had this happen more the past year than I can recall...but is it just a minor thing or impending bigger issues.:scratch

The scenario is out riding local two lanes w/out GPS...do typically have a map in the map pocket, but,not always. There are enough similarities along these routes that they do look the same for miles at a time. A road marker sign might not show for 30 miles.

Fifteen minutes down the road, I couldn't tell you what road I am on and where I am headed until I pass a familiar landmark. I may have just stopped for fuel, coffee or something to eat and just picked a random direction to head out on and have to try and recall where I was. Funny at times, aggravating the rest of time as I dwell on what this could be hinting about.

On longer rides in not so familiar territories it doesn't seem to occur, both because I can see the GPS and follow my path on my marked up map.

Family history does include Alzheimers, which seemed to present itself in the 70's age brackets. I have had my share of concussions thru the years as well. Have not dug too deep with my doctor yet as it doesn't seem to affect other daily memory use...other than walking across property to shop and forgetting why I made the trip...but that has been happening for years and to many I talk to.

Just seeing if I am the only one who gets lost these days on occasion:dunno

"Mind Boredom" and your "minds eye" takes over. While it doesn't seem optimum, it's reality. Ever start taking a rather long trip repeatedly? The first time it took a long time and after 20 trips you hardly notice it.
Trust me, your fine........I think :hungover
Gary

As in just about any situation where something goes amiss, the first step is to assign blame; I blame H. She should know better than to let you out by yourself.

I don't think that what you described is an uncommon phenomenon among men and women of a certain age. I've certainly found myself momentarily confused about what I'm doing, where I'm going, etc. If you are truely anxious, then talk to your physician about your concerns. I don't know that there is a definative test for Alzheimer's short of an autopsy, but, I think there are treatments available that can delay the progression of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, as well as, things one can learn to cope with the diseases. In my opinion, better to know what is going on as soon as possible so you don't stew over the possibility of something that is likely not going to happen.

Yeah, the Alzheimers diagnostics are still not definitive, watched my dad deteriorate and many trips to doctors. His dad was just considered senile, but now looking back, there were clear signs. My dad got lost taking one of his sailboats out and sailed by me on another occasion as I tried to wave him down...he waved back and kept heading out into the bay in his late 70's.

I don't think I am in that arena yet, however knowing it lurks in family history just makes me wonder. I'm due for my annual and will bring up again.We have talked about family history in the past.
It happened so quick the last ride that really got my attention.

H said the insurance is paid up..be cafeful though:love :doh
She even forgets why she went into another room for on occasion...and she's a bit younger than me:scratch

The long trip scenario was a routine I had when we owned the coastal property...500 mile round trip every other week was the norm and it flew by typically.

Just a sign you need to ride some more interesting roads that will keep your attention and burn into your memory banks!

Fifteen minutes down the road, I couldn't tell you what road I am on and where I am headed until I pass a familiar landmark.

I had something very similar happen to me a month or so ago. I was driving to a medical appointment...and suddenly was not sure I was on the right road. I was on an Interstate - either I-86 or I-390. I needed to be on I-390, but because most of my trips are on I-86, and the scenery is identical, I felt a brief period of alarm that I was on the wrong road. I was able to spot a mile-marker on a post, (these are the very small green markers on posts with the route and location codes) and having been a highway engineer, I quickly determined that I was indeed on I-390, and had made the correct navigational decisions to that point.

I agree...a senior moment and a little scary. Being preoccupied with the implications of the medical appointment may have had something to do with it.

Harry

You forget which road you've taken? Gee, I repeated go to either the fridge for something that is keep in the pantry right next to it, or sometimes the other way around. :dunno

I also have Alzheimer's in the family, but for now, I just putting it down to stuff us old folks do (while forgetful, but still sane). :scratch

Let's hope that we're going to miss the Alzheimer's bullet. :bow

Hope this cheers you up:

We'll be friends till we are old and senile. Then we'll be 'new' friends.

I'd just take along your GPS whenever you ride and not worry about it. Last night, I walked down the hallway from the bathroom three times before I remembered what I was trying to get. Have you ever driven down the road and thought to yourself, "Was that traffic light red or green when I drove through it?" I would imagine that a lot of roads in Texas look like each other for stretches.

And if you think that you may have a problem being found if the memory loss is for real, buy a personal locator like the DeLorme inReach or SPOT. They'll show where you've been at least.

Chris

As I understood what you said- You just got gas or some such and starting out again you picked a random direction to head out... Sounds like you are just taking a lazy ride to nowhere special, so how could you know definitively what road you're on? You just didn't care enough to choose a certain definitive route. If you had planned where you were choosing to go, I'm sure you would have remembered better. IMO nuttin to be concerned about.

ClassicVW brings up something important. If you care about it, I'll bet your remember just fine.

My family keeps bringing up my lack of memory. Like last Christmas I got some DVDs and said something about how they were just the ones I wanted. I had bought them back in the summer and given them to my wife to give me for Christmas. I had the DVDs and just didn't think about them anymore.

On the other hand, there are other things I feel are important. Like Bible verses. I can remember verses and have them come up in my mind in the right circumstances. They are important, and I'll use the brain cells to remember them. But DVDs that I bought months ago to get something on sale...not so much. ;)

You took a random direction. That's all.

Chris

We take care of my 96 year old aunt. She's still mentally sharp. I'm not too sure that is a blessing. Can't see well, can't hear well, had a colostomy 17 years ago, can barely stand sometimes and is scared to death that she will live for another three or more years.

Our family tree rarely makes a 90 year old branch...it is what it is:violin

I am the youngest sibling at 59, the eldest sister is 70 and brothers at 61,63 and 74. No heart disease or hereditary patterned cancers...but the minds have seemed to be the issues...so I am more aware of it than I should be. Not freaking out worried, but know it is out there. We used to chuckle at some of granddads and then my dads moments, not mature enough to comprehend the possible future we were witnessing.
H's dad also struggled his last years and mixed years and names of family. Not a happy scene on occasion and a stress for the real heroes, the caregivers. My mom , as well as H's tried to shield us from the day to day, until she hit a wall and allowed us to help.

My riding to nowhere is a regular habit, sometimes it's a take the next left kind if day, so maybe it's OK that my built in locator doesn't work like it used to. Just seems to happen more often. And slow short winter days do not help.

Now what was I supposed to do after I finished this:scratch

I rather tend to enjoy those brain-fart moments when I ride. I get to see new things that I'm sure I saw before.

Steve, come on back out here. You will be able to tell which of our four paved roads you are on pretty quickly. If not, just follow Helen. :)

I'm 70. My family does not have a history of Alzheimer's. In fact most of my ancestors lived into their late 80's/early 90's with good minds. However, I often have to check my GPS (cell phone) to figure out where I'm going. I think I'm having brain farts but who knows. :dunno As long as I get around without endangering anyone else I'm good. :thumb

Steve, come on back out here. You will be able to tell which of our four paved roads you are on pretty quickly. If not, just follow Helen. :)

Had to laugh at that , had thougnt about Big Bend and it's limited choices of pavement. And following H works now...until fuel runs low:whistle

Glad to read I am not alone in the where the heck am I at times. Headed out in a few, so will see if I pay attention today:thumb. And move the GPS over to what I ride today anyways.

I came out of a side street in town onto a main street one day. These are familiar streets I ride almost daily. I rode along and suddenly felt lost and the buildings seemed wrong! I couldn't figure out where I was and it spooked me. Eventually I got it figured out. The road from which I came brought me out where I thought I should be, not where I actually was. Sometimes one's expectations can be the problem, as in this case. I call this a bubble in the think tank.

No repeat today, only glanced at GPS I took along once I recall mostly to see where the intersection coming up I wanted to veer onto was.
Of course being aware made it a non issue. Fun ride:thumb

I started to seem a bit confused last year during the winter months ( I'm 65), and my wife was starting to get concerned. A friend met at the Salem National, from the UP drove down to Missouri, picked me up and we went for a winter trip up to see another rider in Kansas. Kansas rider suggested pure coconut oil (a teaspoon twice a day) and in about 3 weeks my wife started to notice a markedly difference in my memory, and I must admit, I did too. Just a thought, but it worked and works for me, so I make toast with coconut oil twice a day. And I've lost some weight in the process too, as I don't seem to crave the donuts as much as before..... Good luck as I'm sure there are quite a number of home remedies out there!

Back