• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SF Bay Area Rim Ride

boney

The San Francisco Bay Area has a tremendous amount of fantastic riding. There's something for everyone; if you want twisties, sweepers, long straights, good food, scenery, what have you, it's all here.

A number of years ago a group of guys over on ADVRider came up with a diabolical idea, ride all the good stuff in a day. It couldn't really be done. The route they picked included over 500 miles of tight technical riding that, in the end, was too much to complete.

Last year, a couple of friends and I tried a slightly watered down version of their ride, without success. The sun set long before we were able to circumnavigate the bay.

With the idea that this really is an Iron Butt kind of ride, one where you must keep an average, not necessarily "tear it up" as many of us are prone to do on the local roads, I watered the route down a bit more, inlcuded some extras, and figured out an average- 30 MPH. Leaving at sunrise, I should have enough time to make it home by sun down.

Leaving the house at 7:30, I'd already blown the "sun up" part of the ride- by an hour. I went west from Sonoma to Pt. Reyes Station. Home of the Bovine Bakery- a favorite of the motorcycling, bicycling, and local crowds. They make a fantastic pastery or muffin, and they do a phenominal amount of business.

While I'm sitting there, chewing down the coffee cake and drinking coffee, a few guys from San Francisco pull up. They're getting some riding in before work. They all have to be back in SF before too long to "start their day."

518917846_VA7Hg-L.jpg

I'm a bit shy on pictures, only because I was trying to keep an average that didn't leave much time for error. Only the highlights are posted.

Down HWY 1 a little ways I cut up a little road called Bolinas-Fairfax road. The squids call it a goat trail, but it is paved even if it has no painted lines. Rounding a tight corner, I launch unexpectedly off a huge mound of asphalt that has been displaced from it's home in the adjacent pot-hole. In the woods and having just passed into the shadows from direct sun, I didn't see either, and my handle bars went full lock left while the front tire was in the air. Straightening upon landing without oscillating, I didn't even have time to get worked up. I motored on determined to be more vigilant about the road conditions.

Across Ridgecrest and up to the top of Mt. Tamalpias.

518918419_SUtuF-L.jpg

There's a bit of an inversion layer today, and believe it or not, just after 9 am I'm roasting. I'd personally rather be a bit cold that too hot, so I strip out the insulation from my jacket.

Down the south side of the hill, I head for San Francisco and the Penninsula. I chill down on the Golden Gate Bridge but warm back up a bit as I leave 19th Avenue in my rear-view and run with the squidly commuters down 280 at 85+. Cutting west on 92, I cool my jets. It's a busy road and there's never a chance at getting a clear shot at the curves. In choked up behind a tandem truck, we slowly make our way to Skyline Blvd where I turn south with nothing but the next turn in my sights.

A brief stop at Alice's to take a picture and I'm off in the southerly direction again.

518918736_RjWXF-L.jpg

Since it's a weekday, I have no sportbikes to contend with when I make the turn down Highway 9 toward Santa Cruz. With the exception of a Harley Davidson (that I passed) there is no traffic up here. I make several attempts at getting the peg feelers down before I reach Felton, but never succeed. I'll have to come back sometime when I'm feeling a bit sportier.

At Felton, I cut over to Highway 17 and head north toward Silicon Valley. Realizing I forgot to take a picture in Felton, I stop at the summit and get a poor quality cell phone snapshot of the Summit Road exit.

518942827_Ridt9-L.jpg

I drop into San Jose and head east for Mt. Hamilton.

But first, gas, then Tacos.

518942895_DtYob-L.jpg

On my way out of town, I came across what I've since learned is a Sikh Temple. I couldn't resist stopping. Here's the picture:

518918913_Cx6db-L.jpg

Mt. Hamilton is at the top of a very windy road. It's been a bonus location in the Iron Butt Ralley, if you follow that kind of thing. It's also home of the Lick Observatory, owned by the University of California.

518915549_8T4fT-L.jpg

Wheeeeee!

518916283_MTzxs-L.jpg

Heading east from the observatory I drop down San Antonio Valley Road which is paved with sealcoat and nestled into the side of the hill following the contours. Yet another place to explore the lean angles, with velco for traction.

In the middle of nowhere is The Junction. On the weekend this place is a poser zone. It's chocked full of sport bike riders taking a break in the shade and drinking Gatoraid in the heat. On weekdays like today, the only people here are kinda scary. I make haste after chugging my own Gatoraid and taking a picture.

518916210_Afad9-L.jpg

Mines road is in much better condition than last year. The oversprayed gravel from the sealcoat job is all on the shoulder leaving yet again a velcro-like surface. I run north for Mt. Diablo. Coming from the south I sprint for the top, ticking off bicyclists like Lance Armstrong on L'alp D'huez.

From the top:

518917096_phv8u-L.jpg

It's coming up on late afternoon, but it's not quite early evening. I'm worried about commute traffic through the next corridor but press on.

I-680 north uncharacteristically clear of traffic. Exiting at Suisun Valley Road two (TWO!) cars pull into the turnouts and allow me to sprint through the hills to Montecello Road and sights north. Then a truck waves me around! I have to ride on the weekdays more often! A short stint on Capell Valley Road leads me to Berryessa-Knoxville Road which parallels Lake Berryessa. Yet another mecca for riding. The restroom at "the bridge" where Pope Valley road intersects requires a visit, and I'm on my way again.

518917639_UXTZt-L.jpg

Dropping back into the Napa Valley from Angwin, I turn south on Silverado Trail. It's all gravy from here. I can ride these roads in my sleep. Oakville Cross leads me to the Oakville Grade/Dry Creek Rd/Trinity Road combo back into the Sonoma Valley.

Back in time for dinner even:

518917790_JaKii-L.jpg

Here's the Google Map:
<iframe src='http://maps.innersource.com/external/iframe/project/6373' style="border: none" width='400' height='400'>
</iframe>

not bad. if I'm reading your stats, you hit 129.......... where????? don't try that on Vasco road............ I love the Mine Roads/Hamilton stuff. Hard to believe that's just on the other side of 11 million city folks.

not bad. if I'm reading your stats, you hit 129.......... where????? don't try that on Vasco road............ I love the Mine Roads/Hamilton stuff. Hard to believe that's just on the other side of 11 million city folks.

There's a couple of spots just north of the junction where the road is wide enough and straight, but I'm chalking that up to GPS error. I didn't go anywhere near that fast and besides my bike has a speed limiter at 125 actual.:deal

Back