• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seeking Help With Fuel-Related Problems - 2008 R1200RT

exgman

I just returned to Boston from a trip to NC and back. Along the way I had problems which required transportation of my ailing RT to two dealers (one in Roanoke, VA and one in Asheville, NC). Despite their best efforts, the problems persist. I hope someone might have some insights or ideas.

History of the problem: The bike has 43K miles on the ODO. I left Boston in sunshine two weeks ago and stopped in Chambersburg, PA my first night. Overnight rain arrived, and I headed out for Floyd, VA. As I was riding south on I-81 in Raphine, VA at 70mph in heavy rain the engine suddenly died, the red/exclamation point triangle appeared in the display and the rpm went to zero. It started again as I was rolling when I let the clutch out. I made it to the next exit (about 1/2-mile) rolled into an Exxon station, shut off the engine with the key, and proceeded to refill the tank with 93-octane fuel. Even though it was raining heavily, I was completely under the canopy and no rain was hitting me or the bike. Attempts to re-start it following fueling were unsuccessful. I had the jumper cable for the FPC (the original silver one), so I removed the FPC, put the jumper to the SAE plug (direct to the battery) but got no joy (to use an old military term). Bike was dead. It would crank but nothing else.

Bike was flatbedded in heavy rain 70 miles to BMW dealer in Roanoke, VA (Frontline Eurosports). These folks jumped on my problem, and determined that the electronics of the fuel pump were about half the expected values in the computer. They replaced the original FPC and the fuel pump (which had been replaced during the recall). I was told that "bad fuel may have caused problems with the fuel pump." They drained the fuel in the tank, and replaced it with non-ethanol fuel.

I then rode about 300 miles to Hendersonville, NC, much of which was in the rain. Outside of Asheville, NC I filled the tank with Shell 93-octane fuel along the way about 20 miles east of Asheville on I-40. The bike had no issues and had the expected power before and after the refuel.

After letting the bike sit in an enclosed garage for a couple of days, I took the bike out for a ride while in Hendersonville and covered about 50 miles. No rain. No problems. All seemed fine.

After a couple of more days I wanted to meet some friends in Greenville, SC. I rolled the bike out of the garage, suited up, and pushed the start button. It would crank, start a little, then die. The longest I got it to run during this sequence was about five seconds. As soon as I moved the throttle, it would die. The SM at the Asheville dealer asked me to bring it in for a look. It was trailered in non-rainy weather to Eurosport Asheville, and they jumped on it right away. Ultimately, they said the fuel appeared "cloudy" so they drained it, replaced it with one gallon of clean fuel, and put in a full bottle of BMW fuel system cleaner. The SM advised me to use another bottle of the cleaner (aka Chevron Techron) at the next fill up of gasoline.

I then road east to Wake Forest, then north to MD, NJ and ultimately home. I used two more bottles of Techron, one at the next fill, and another later. Much of this riding was in the rain except for the last 460 miles from MD to MA. Throughout I experienced periods in which the bike felt as if it had lost power, and was struggling to maintain speed. This occurred ramdomly and intermittently. If this might have any meaning, the displayed MPG dropped from a steady 48-49mpg during the strong times, to 43-45mpg when it was struggling.

Storage Conditions: This bike has spent its Winters stored in closed but not-heated garages. I have filled the tank with 93-octane fuel and an ounce of Star-Tron before each winter, and run it about five miles before putting it away. It's attached to an Optimate-4 each Winter, so it starts with one push on the starter in the Spring.

I really, really thank anyone who has read this long post. If anyone has any ideas about this or suggestions about how a tank of fuel could be contaminated in a standard 2008 RT on which I push the cap down until it clicks every single time I fill the tank...well, I'd be really pleased to hear from you.

Thank you - John Gamel

Symptoms sound like FPC but you seem to have covered that ground. I would bypass the FPC next time it happens and see if it runs. Just remove FPC connect FP straight to battery and give it a shot. Probably not another FPC but sure sounds like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote water in the fuel (howwever it might have gotten there). Try a bottle of IsoHeet in the red bottle - put 1/2 bottle in the tank. It will cost a couple of bucks and won't hurt a thing if I have guessed wrong.

I also wouldn't fixate on fuel.. since we don't know that's the problem. The same symptoms could be caused by failing ignition (as is typical on the 1100/1150 engine bikes). If one cylinder cuts out - that could cause loss of power symptoms.

It's way easy to fixate on one possible cause (BTDT many years ago.. learned that lesson) especially when an expert suggests that might be the cause, or something that appears to coincide with the problem occurs.

When it misbehaves like this - I'd suggest stopping the engine and pulling the plugs and looking at them. Look at the primary plug (the one in the center of the cylinder head.) If it's wet - you have an ignition problem. If it's dead white and bone dry, chances are you have a fuel related problem. If it's a light tan color - we don't know what the problem is, at least not from the plug. At that point I'd plug in my GS-911 and observe the operation of the engine with their graph function - monitoring the O2 sensors. In any case - it's a good start to diagnostics the old fashioned way.. that might get you heading down the path to a solution.

And as Paul suggested - to eliminate water as a possibility - it's worth trying some IsoHeet. Don't continue dosing it with Techron. With the amount you've put in - anything that was going to be removed by the Techron has been. Further use may just contaminate the engine oil.

A long shot but did happen to a riding buddy. Dealer said loose electrical connection in fuel pump circuit. I didn't see it first hand, so take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your ideas Lynn, Paul & Don.

Paul - Today I found Iso-Heet about 3 miles from my home. I put 6 oz. in the RT's fuel tank, then added 5.9 gallons of Sunoco 93. I rode around for 50 miles. I experienced no issues. That said, it was 65 degrees and sunny in my area today, so these were the best conditions.

Don - I will carry tools to remove a plug if/when the intermittent condition of low power returns. I am not a guy who does much wrenching (due mostly to flexibility & orthopedic problems) but I'll make the effort.

Lynn - I'll keep my FPC jumper cable handy, and give that a try when/if the problem returns.

I truly appreciate your thoughts & help. :thumb:thumb:thumb

JG

Canisterectomy

Two SMs at BMW dealers told me that my tank-filling technique might have caused issues with the charcoal canister which is part of evaporative-emissions system in US-destined BMWs. Both suggested I remove that piece from the system but also make sure that I don't put too much fuel in the tank.

I followed directions which I found on the MOA forum, and now have a canister-free system. FWIW, the canister (seen in attached photo) has three openings, all of which smelled very strongly of gasoline. I imagine this is normal. Following the removal, I filled up with Shell 93 and rode around for forty miles. I rode another fifty today, and the engine seems strong, and issue free.

At the least, I've eliminated a variable from the system. Thanks to all whom have offered their advice. As we said in my former employment: "Investigation continues..."

IMG_1948.jpg

Back