• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking great roads in Missouri and Arkansas

We have run most of them in all directions and never get tired of them. I was born in SE Arkansas near the Mississippi River and keep getting pulled back to the state as often as we can.

Tried to keep up with a shorter school bus between Witts Spring and Pelsor on 16 one weekday run and we both were amazed how fast the local could take the turns...repetition won :thumb. I always think Charlton Heston in a chariot when I see Ben Hur on the sign and GPS midway thru..

I say NW Arkansas by my point of view is everything west of Mammoth Springs (which is fairly NE to some)and above IH-30
So many good roads to wander about on:thumb Avoiding the weekend crowds near Fayetteville on 23, especially during football season and rolling parades near Eureka Springs most weekends isn't a bad plan if possible. It's just part of riding there otherwise.
At first, the numbering system can cause you to do some circles as 5 or7 can be 16,28,14, or 9 in places or some variance of the numbers mentioned...A highlighted map and a head scratch or two will keep you headed where you want to be:dance

We have come from Branson,MO on 14 and 27 all the way across the state a few times and never bored...unless you get stuck behind a Tyson chicken hauler or logging truck when passing isn't a good idea.:banghead
The latest editions of the Arkansas Motorcycling Guide now includes a few off road routes as well cor those seeking some loose stuff.

In MO, a lot of roads across from the area mentioned in Arkansas are as fun. Looking at a state map, any place with green shading of the National Forests offers some nice riding mostly south of I-44. We regularly hit the Branson general area to the west,not for the shows or the slower crowd traffic, and then west of Potosi and enjoy the roads and lighter traffic

Current Arkansas Highway Map

Picture 4389.jpg
Picture 4388.jpg
The Long/Phillips families have been having their family reunions many years just down the street at the community center from the old courthouse. Now a museum. Population of Powhatan is maybe 50. There use to be a swinging bridge at Powhatan over Black River. My Dad told me how he rode with his father over the bridge many times in mule drawn wagons and bean trucks back in the 30's and 40's. Said it scared him to death. The bridge would ride up in front of the wagon and truck. Said it seemed like they could never get over that bridge. The bridge was tore down many years ago and moved to Black Rock, over Black River. My dad said he rode and swam horses across Black River many times as a kid. This area around Black Rock and Powhatan along Black River is very scenic and rural, nice area for riding. just up Highway 166 is Old Davidsonville.
Another early 1800's Arkansas settlement long abandoned due to river flooding.

Nice riding north and west of here. Pocahontas, Hardy, Mammoth Spring, Ash Flat. Just keep riding.

Back