• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking Advice

...I've heard good things about Memphis Motorwerks on this list, but if they do not mention valve seats (and the seats have not already been changed), I would run, not walk, there and retrieve my heads posthaste and send them to Oak, Tom Cutter, Anton Largiader or Ted Porter and have them done correctly. With your oil usage, I would probably also change the rings. Good Luck!

....I can vouch for Leo Goff's work at Memphis Motorwerks, he did a complete job on my heads. Outstanding work in a reasonable amount of time (even though I was impatient). Nothing but good things to say about the others mentioned too, I had to pick one and after speaking at length with Leo, I made my choice.

...I wonder if there were any issues with the previous valve job.

I seem to recall a very long explanation from Oak about the whole Airhead valve situation in the Airheads publication.. He reported (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY)that several different strategies were tried and failed to solve the problem before the solution was found. PERHAPS yours was re-done with one of the interim methods that ultimately did not prove out.

Markings

I seem to recall a very long explanation from Oak about the whole Airhead valve situation in the Airheads publication.. He reported (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY)that several different strategies were tried and failed to solve the problem before the solution was found. PERHAPS yours was re-done with one of the interim methods that ultimately did not prove out.

I inquired on this forum before if there was a way to tell, by looking at the valve seats, if they had been upgraded to the successful unleaded type. Answers were negative.
I think I will stamp a non -mating surface on the bottom of the head, say "UNL 2010", as I get the unleaded job done. Save some trouble for whoever inherits these bikes.
Too bad this was not a practice as these heads were being retrofitted.

By the PVC valve is a well with a small hole in the bottom. If that hole gets clogged it will produce the symptoms described. My entire yard would fill up with a smoke cloud so thick you could not see. I had all kind of dire thoughts but fortunatly someone wrote to Oak with the same problem and he published it in Airmail. I fixed it with a tool I made. A paper clip to clean out the hole. Don't drop it in the hole! Before taking everything apart I would check that. I believe Snowbum also has some info on his site.
Ed
La. Airmarshal

By the PVC valve is a well with a small hole in the bottom. If that hole gets clogged it will produce the symptoms described. My entire yard would fill up with a smoke cloud so thick you could not see. I had all kind of dire thoughts but fortunatly someone wrote to Oak with the same problem and he published it in Airmail. I fixed it with a tool I made. A paper clip to clean out the hole. Don't drop it in the hole! Before taking everything apart I would check that. I believe Snowbum also has some info on his site.
Ed
La. Airmarshal
Ed, good to know. Surely your paperclip tool is cheaper than a valve job. :thumb

Last edited:
the statement (by jforgo) was that the motor does not have valve guide seals, not that it does not have valve guides.
the valve stem needs to "ride" in something, and you want that something to be replaceable when it wears out- that something would be a valve guide.

I'm an idiot. Confirmed. Thanks; I shall endeavour to read (and think) a bit more carefully.. :banghead

Ed
La. Airmarshal

Thanks for the tip. will check that out today. Still waiting on the 'Kroil' I ordered way too long ago. Was buying some battery tenders for Xmas presents and couldn't get the order to go through on Amazon, so ordered the Kroil from mfgr in Tn. Knew when my cc wasn't charged there was a problem, found out yesterday they muffed the cc number.

I recently subscribed to Airmail and can't log in to search the archives, but we're working on it.

A guy w/ this kinda luck is not apt to get off the hook w/ a paper clip, lololol. Picture the Peanuts cartoon and the kid w/ rain cloud over his head. I've googled my fingers numb and can't find Snobums site. A link perhaps?

I delivered one of the tenders yesterday via the bike, no smoke on start up, delightful 60+ degree ride, plenty of the filthy white stuff this am however.

Merry Christmas all.

I recently subscribed to Airmail and can't log in to search the archives, but we're working on it.

What "archives" are you talking about? The Airheads Beemer Club has a website but you can get to the tech tips without being a member. The ABC puts out the Airmail monthly magazine. Now there is the Airheads list forum which is separate from the ABC. Once you begun to receive the postings from that forum, you would use the registration information to go to their archives to search. The forum is part of the Micapeak server. ABC and the club are separate from the Micapeak forum and archives.

Here's the link...

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm

Hopefully things will start looking up!!

Back