• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddlemen seat on GS thoughts/experiences?

brownie0486

I've searched but couldn't find anything on the D+Saddlemen seat for GS's.

I was able to procure one for free [ make a small pass it forward donation ] and it's on my 2012 r1200GS presently. I started looking for a new seat when I got severe lower back pain from the custom I had been using. Tailbone took a beating for some reason and nearly crippled me for a few days after 725 mile ride to the brothers in Colorado.

I've ridden it for 3 hours [ brand new seat, preowned ] and understand from others on other sites that it takes 1500 miles to break them in. I found that interesting, as if I ride 40 miles an hours, it'll take 37 hours but if I ride 65mph it'll only take 23 hours. So I'm keeping track of the hours in the saddle and will split the difference as determine if I'm going to keep it or not at 30 hours.

Anyway, I like to hear from members who've tried one, ride one, won't ever buy one again, etc. and their experiences on this seat. Mines the newer touring seat with the "valley" in the middle covered over so it looks like a standard seat.

Initial impression is, it's definitely obvious my tailbone isn't gong to get battered or fatigued by pressure riding long hours. The junk isn't being restricted and thus uncomfortable as in most seats I've used, both expected from a seat that has the middle hollowed out with no padding. In the hour each ride, I can't truly get a sense of improvement or not. So this weekend I'm hoping to get a 4-5 hour ride in and that will give me more information to work with where comfort is concerned.

Thanks in advance, I've read some reviews, these seats suck, others say it's solved their issues, while others think the seat gets too hot in the sun due to the gel.

I had one and was hopeful. My bicycle seats are similar design and work well. However, my Saddleman was a gel seat and my issue with gel is the longer you are on it the more you settle in. I'd still have the seat if it were firm foam. So my tailbone and nether region liked the seat, I couldn't get comfortable on it after about an hour and a half. So I sold it.

thanks for the reply and review on the seat.

Like you, the nethers and tailbone really like the seat. I need to get a 4-6 hour ride on this to determine if it'll stay on the bike. It's just been too blazing hot here in the Sonoran.

Back