• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rubber Timing Hole Plug

mtfrench

GSMoto31
After changing all of the fluids and adjusting the valves on my R1150R, I made a stupid mistake while in a hurry to finish the job. As many of you probably know, the little rubber plug that fits over the timing hole to locate TDC is very tricky to seat. While using a little too much force to push it into place, I pushed it all the way into the hole. :banghead Next day I went to my dealer, picked up a new plug for $1.50 and took my time to ease it into place correctly. :clap

Question: Will the old plug cause any short or long-term problems in its new home? Ive ridden the bike over 100 miles since the "accident" and can't detect any changes in shifting or performance. Thanks for any feedback from those who know more about this than me.

GSMoto31

My take on it by information I have been given by someone who says they know what they are talking about is that this is not something to be worried about. The little rubber plug will probably get ground up into dust, or simply sit at the bottom. I wouldn't do it more than once however. :wave

I found remnants of one when I pulled the tranny on the 1100...Cannot see how it could hurt anything but pride by losing one into the abysss...should fall below flywheel and even not it will get tumbled and ground up

FYI, the older R100 plugs are more robust and do not squish as easily

I threw that damn thing out and put a piece of duct tape over the hole.:rocker

and, FWIW, there is NEVER a need to remove the plug. you can find TDC perfectly well by following valve movement. Look for the "overlap", the only time both intake & exhaust valves are moving at the same time, then look for the arrows on the rear face of the cam gears to line things up dead on. arrow pointing out, you've got TDC.

you can find TDC perfectly well by following valve movement

Your adivce sounds like a great alternative to removing and reinstalling the plug, but I'm having a hard time following your description. Would you happen to have or could you direct me to a graphic of the process? Would it be possible to come close to locating TDC by simply determining when the valves on a particular cylinder have the most play? Seems pretty ad hoc to me, but I have limited experience in this area. Am I missing something?

simple fix

My 98 gs had a hole in the plug with a zip tie through it so you had a loop to put your finger in when pulling or installing it.Sorry-no pics,sold the bike.

Just throw the damn thing out! Oh no how do I get it out! Oh no how do I get it back In! On no I dropped it into the engine! Amazing how people are tortureing them selves over nothing!:banghead

finding tdc

like bikerfish said, the way I find tdc is to remove main spark plugs.
rotate engine in 6th gear with rear wheel. Watch for both valves to open and close
(actually 4 of them). Then I carefully insert wooden dowel rod through the spark plug hole and feel the piston reach tdc. All four valves will be slack if you did it right.
I hate that cheap plastic inspection hole cover. My air head had a nice substantial rubber one.

Timing hole plug

At latest count, my R1150 R has "eaten" at least 3 of these plugs. At 38,000 miles there is no apparnent damage. A rubber bit has no chance of survival in the midst of all that rotating iron.

As an aside, forget the rubber plug and eyeball the valve position and insert a pin (BMW has a part number) in the engine disassembly and flywheel locking hole on the left top rear of the engine. This process, and the pin dimensions were explained in one of Gary Smith's tech writeups in the ON.

tom barnhart
port st lucie, fl

After I pushed my first plug in I substituted the one made for the airheads. It's a lot stronge and would be a lot harder to push through.

Back